Cobbing adventues

highgrower

Just now, highgrower said:

Will leave it like that for as ling as i can and then slowly dry it out - is 60% humidity ok for long term slow aging/curing in a jar?

I'm sorry to say I've no idea what 60% humidity is, I've always gone with my instinct, so it's hard to know how best to advise you. The sample you took out today to try needed drying for you to be able to smoke it, so that is too wet for storage. When you decide that your going to leave it to age, I'd be tempted to leave it opened at room temperature for several days to dry before sealing it up to age. When you seal them up to age you don't need to use a vacuum as by now there will be virtually no moisture left I the cob.

With the first few cobs I made, I didn't let them dry enough between each re sealing; I think I was worried that if I let them dry too much then the fermentation would stop. Now I ted to let them dry for days rather than hours at each stage of the process. Obviously the amount of compression of the cob will affect the length of time it takes for it to become dry. 

• Like 4

So, Here's a couple of cobs that were made back in November of last year and that have been curing now for several months.

They've had over a week out of the bags drying at room temp.

large.S6000249JPG.jpg

Top one is Panama and weighs in at 26gm and the bottom one is New Caledonia and weighs in at 32g. Both are pretty solid.

They were hung dried for 4 and 5 days respectively and the sweated for 18hrs (long sweat) at 43c(that's quite high). They both smell divine, not overly pungent but really nice. Because I grow Sativas my weed doesn't tend to be strong smelling like Indicas and hybrids. ( Q. How do you hide a bunch of Sativas growing in your garden?, A. Plant an indica in the other end of the garden.)

large.S6000255JPG.jpg

Gives an idea of the size; Pretty damn hard.

large.S6000254JPG.jpg

Panama close up

large.S6000253JPG.jpg

New Caledonia close up

large.S6000256JPG.jpg

Cross section of the Panama.

I broke the Panama in half and will put half in a jar for using now and the other half will get sealed up along with the New Caledonia and left for many months to age. Despite the fact that the cobs have been taken out of their bags and dried several times over the last few months, when i break them in half there is some moisture in the core.

• Like 13

At what point would they become edible - after the ferment stage or do you need to then let them age/cure for a few months more?

• Like 2

Hi @highgrower, I'm not too sure to be honest. I've tried them after only about 3 weeks and there has been some effect, so I guess pretty much as soon as the initial ferment is over. Yours are now around that age, no?. There's no reason why you shouldn't try a little now; I'm pretty sure it'll work by now. What I do know is that the high will be very short lived and it won't be as intense. If you do decide to try a little, then I suggest that you take a minimum of 0.5gms to overcome your smokers tolerance. Mrs DM uses my vape 3 or 4 times a week and only has 3 or 4 puffs each time; She can get high from 0.05g of cob but will take 0.2-0.25g for a good hit that last all day. I still have a huge tolerance and usually take somewhere between 0.5-1.5g. To best appreciate the different high I would suggest that you take the cob first thing i the morning before smoking a spliff.  

• Like 7

Been enjoying my time off but looks like i may have a job.  So before i start on that pain i thought i would have a try of some cob munching tomorrow - in preparation and to dry a small piece out i popped open the sweet tooth cob which is now smelling really nice and know i have smelt something like it before.

large.sweet-tooth-for-munching-.jpg

Was dam impressed how accurate my bit cut off was as i was going for a gram

large.sweet-tooth-for-munching.jpg

Leaving to dry overnight so i can get some idea how moist the rest of it is - i suspect it will loose at least 10-20% of its weight once dried.

I plant to have a munch of it with a coffee in the morning.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 10

Congratulations on getting a job.

Good luck for tomorrow morning. I'll join you but not until mid day as I have a class i the morning.

• Like 3

Just now, Hombre del Monte said:

Congratulations on getting a job.

Good luck for tomorrow morning. I'll join you but not until mid day as I have a class i the morning.

Cheers - been enjoying an extended time off for about a year so going to be hard getting back into a daily work routine.

Depending on its effects i may be well on the way to an afternoon doze by then.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 2

Up early this morning so with only voting and a supermarket shop on the cards I made a start on munching some cob.

Weighted up and it came to 0.9g - I had broken it apart roughly to help it dry.  It was about the same amount as for a joint - i decided to eat it in two lots.

The initial taste is kind of ok - not completely rank like cannabutter/coconut oil - after a few minutes of chewing the a more spicy/burny/tingly/mentholy flavour come through - not terrible but not nice flavour wise is something you could get used to.

The first half i had enough of chewing it and ended up swallowing bits with some coffee and after about 10 mins had enough holding it in my lip like chewing tobacco and downed it with a gulp of coffee.  The second half was easier to chew and let sit for about 10-15 mins and slowly let bits come off it as it sat in my lip letting my saliva break it down and eventually washed it down with the rest of my coffee.

Only been about 15 mins since munching it so no noticeable effects yet other than my morning coffee tasted a bit wrong - i did have a slight cannabutter after taste for a bit but that has now faded.

Feeling like i want my wake and bake joint but am abstaining and see how things go.

Edited by highgrower
  • Like 11

Hour in and a rather slow creeper but now feeling pretty relaxed, not melt into the couch or anything like that more just chilled out.

Not that bothered about not having a joint now so could be a good way to cut down on the smoking - will see how the next few hours go and if i can function.

• Like 11

Still nicely chilled/slow/dopey - not high but not bothered about someone in the road cutting tiles which would normally be a bit of a pain.

Need to do a shopping list but somehow getting that done has elude me for over the past hour and just seem to be watching breakfast tv for the most of the time without realising it but have managed to get plants watered which i suppose is more important.

Smoking the sweet tooth has a similar chilled out effect - makes a good day time smoke - so I wasnt expecting anything mind blowing but munching it has better effects and longer lasting than smoking a big joint of it.

• Like 9

I seem to have leveled off and in a similar state to an hour or so ago.

Have got myself motivated enough to get shopping list done and going to attempt to get vote & shop finished before lunch time.

Found myself taking a pull on last nights 1/2 smoke joint while doing the shopping list without even realising what i was doing - i didnt really need a toke and not had one since waking up either but just went on automatic i think so yea still dopey - only one main road to cross so not too concerned - more worrying is staring at all the bright packaging and promotional stuff for too long in the supermarket.

• Like 9

Just now, highgrower said:

more worrying is staring at all the bright packaging and promotional stuff for too long in the supermarket.

We've all been there lol its a big undertaking to decide which crisps you'll be eating for the next week.

• Like 5