Cobbing adventues

highgrower

Ey up fellas @Hombre del Monte, @highgrower,... So I've had them in and out of the bags a bit and they've dropped their weight by a third and smells have gone from starting at fermenting silage, now back down to a pleasant sweetness, in fact the smile ones are already pretty bloody morish but obviously still a ways to go. I just wondered, once the sweat and dry back is complete, going into the secondary ferment is it normal/acceptable for the cobs to inflate the bag slightly as they ferment? I know if there are moisture droplets it's a sign to take them out and dry them back further, but if it's just gas does this matter or can they just carry on without a reseal? Only one of them did this, I re-vacced it anyway but just for future reference really!

My gut is saying it's fine because they're just gasses produced by fermentation, probably CO2 right?

Cheers both

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

My gut is saying it's fine because they're just gasses produced by fermentation, probably CO2 right?

Sounds like you have got them in a much better state - I havent found any once dry enough which then "inflate" the vacuum when fermenting my guess is they are still a bit too wet and it water vapour rather than any co2 - maybe a few hours out of the vacuum to dry a little bit more is in order.

• Like 1

Thanks @highgrower, glad to clear that up... I had a look today and all are holding a tight vacuum so I think they've been pulled back from the brink as you say :v: and then after another 5 days or so, open, check the smell, then reseal and keep at a normal room temperature in darkness for at least a month? Quite exciting this, I can see it being a fun journey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rustybiff said:

reseal and keep at a normal room temperature in darkness

Sounds good - i would be tempted to check on them every week or so and if the sweet aroma starts to back off i would then look at letting them dry out more and for them to then mature.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

Still a game changer?

For the Dynavap it makes it so much easier and less faffing than the tourch but tbh since getting a Tinymighty2 i have only used the dynavap a couple of times like when i have forgotten to whack spare batteries into the charger once flat.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about the process of cobbing and it's got me wondering about different environments. 

Specifically wild yeasts, and if they impart different characteristics to the cobs depending on where they're made in the same way that sourdough bread does, or using wild yeast on the apple's skin to ferment cider rather than yeast from a packet. 

I assume it does, which just makes this process all the more interesting to me, seems like we can create so much unique character into this curing technique. 

• Like 4

@silvester growdrobe I never thought about that, it's an interesting point to be fair.. I don't understand it all well enough to comment but love fermenting things, it's like magic.. We live off sourdough, home made hot sauce, beer and now apparently cannabis, who'd have thought it :smoke:

• Like 1

@Rustybiff

Have you read Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake? I've just finished it, that's what got got me thinking about this. Good read, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in any of this stuff, fungal life etc.

Edited by silvester growdrobe
Spelling
  • Like 3

I haven't actually @silvester growdrobe, got so many books sitting looking at me but can't seem to find the time, find it easier at the mo to just smoke a spliff and stick something on the telly at night.. I may check it out as an audiobook though, just got some bluetooth ear defenders so can listen while I work, cheers :)

• Like 1

I knew I was going to be taking a tolerance break for about 10 days so have been looking forward to today for quite some time.  I have been vaping some cbd in a great little vap so not complete abstinence.  So forgive the below rambling if incoherent as the SMH cob kicked in a while ago and i have also now sampled some panama which i can feel lifting off.

Note: I did hit the tinymighty2 last night and vaped enough to finish off a battery charge before going to bed - not much more than a mini jay or so - had some pretty terrific visuals while dozing off.  This is the longest break i have had in memory but can remember being far more fucked on a previous smoke of some smellyberry after a break of a about a week and I was buzzing so much i just had to lie there and enjoy until it wore off before i could fall asleep - i think in a joint it perhaps hits harder after a break and maybe the <1% thc budsi have been vaping have had some effect?

The reason I am mentioning my tolerance break is that on most of my previous munches cobs have had a nice mellowing effect on me but nothing like @Hombre del Monte describes and realise my heaving vaping/smoking had diminished their effects.

So this morning at about 8.30 i decided to try out some SMH cob - no vape or anything - i carved off a 0.8g bit and started off munching about half.  Tasted spicy not as papery as the cheese hack one from last year and really didnt taste bad at all in fact i quite liked it - after about 20 mins i had a half a coffee and finished off the other half.  So by about 9 i had a slight buzz thing happening and wasnt sure if it was a remnant from last night but as time passed it became pretty obvious. 

I got on with sorting out the washing machine, plant stuff and sorting out a shopping list.  Clothes all hung and i thought fuck it lets really have a proper sample so have been munching about 0.6g of the panama cob for about 20mins and seem to have typed all of this as well!

The panama is nice and spicey and can feel it kicking in already with a nice haze around my peripheral vision - the shop is going to be fun and i suspect i will be staring at the shelves for far too long.

The cobs being tested:

large.smh-pan-cobs.jpglarge.smh-pan-cobs-.jpg

• Like 11

Well I have had an enjoyable day - i think the SMH began to wear off a few hours ago along with the Panama so had a small top up with some of the Guawi (the first version which is the same age as the SMH and Panama) not as buzzy as the other 2 and perhaps with the vape im feeling like it time for an afternoon nap.

I did find my senses very much more noticeable - like walking to the shops i was very aware of my own footsteps and the bird song was amazing along with the feeling of the wind against my face and the sound of it rushing past my ears.  Even the traffic was interesting hearing the different notes from the engines as they drove past.

I think i may round the day off after my doze and sample some of th Panama x B. Haze cob also of a decent age now.

• Like 6

Well the Panama x B.Haze didnt have much taste to it at all - no spicey or peppery either and limited effect from it so far - im beginning to think the more peppery the stronger its affects will be - @Hombre del Monteany comment on how the spicy/pepper taste has any bearing on the high for you (or lack of it)?