Cobbing adventues

highgrower

I left the Guawi and Celia ones out just in the room and both are a little bit less than their starting weights and feel good for sealing up and leaving to ferment.

The MxP one sat on the led control gear and was warm when i picked it up - it has started to smell like the ferment has already started also not as compact as it was before the disaster so feels a bit squishy which i initially thought it was still too wet.  I have sealed it up but will be opening and checking on it every few days as I think fermenting may happen faster than for the others.

• Like 2

Current cobs being fermented all got opened up for a sniff earlier today.

large.cob-collection.jpg

Unfortunately the long Memory Loss one has broken in the middle - smell has faded a bit compared to last time opened it so have let it ferment a week to long i think.

The Super Malawi Haze on top row on the left - also has lost a little bit of its aroma so time to let dry and age.

Top right is the big Guawi one which I think is on the edge of being done so am letting it dry a bit but will let ferment a bit more and check again at the end of the week.

The Celia one bottom left - smells amazing been sniffing it all day - when i opened the vac bag i had a blast from when I was in my early 20s and used to get the most compressed light green super sweet smelling stuff and the smell took me straight back to then - im sure it was from holland and compressed to shit so they could pack in as much as possible but also think it had a chance to cure perhaps packed next to some truck engine or exhaust - shame i never tried to munch it back then as i am positive it had fermented and was cobbed essentially as it was such a smooth an memorable smoke.

MxP one needs more time - the sweetness is in the background but enough yet.

Anyone else been cobbing anything recently?

• Like 7

Been following this a while now and think I'll try cobbing some of my C99 when shes ready

Plan is 4 - 7 day dry then stuff in into a plastic tube to form shape......does it need to be moist/sticky to touch still at this stage?

Then into vacuum sealed beg (recommendations for cheap one greatly appreciated)

Boil for at least 6 hours at a temp of between 40-60

Leave out for approx 24hrs till touch dry

Reseal 

Store for as long as possible at a warm temp

Does that sound like it will work or have I missed anything?

TIA :smokin:

• Like 1

@eldo - dry it to the point where your ready to jar - so pretty much able to smoke it around 65% humidity is fine

You can do the boil in a bag method but next run for me will be simpler and will be just getting a hot water bottle and wrapping it with the cobs pressed next to it in a blanket and just leave until it cools should be enough to get the ferment going - I am pretty sure you could also just ignore the initial sweat and put them some where like 35-40C ie on a ballast/control gear for a few weeks will also work.  

Once resealed you need to just store somewhere warm like 25-35 is fine and just pop them open 5-7 days to give them a sniff - after about 10-20 days they should have a sweetness to the smell when keeps you wanting to sniff more and then they are pretty much ready to dry a bit more and then reseal and leave for a while.

I picked up my vac pack machine pretty cheaply on the river site  for under 30 quid and has been fine.  I suspect if you had some plastic container like an old 3.5m film one you could pack it full and with the cap on and wrapped in cling film should pretty much have the same effect but would be much harder to check on.

• Like 2

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Yes you can ignore this initial sweat especially for the drier cobs, just leave somewhere warm for 6 months.

You can if you wish also make the cobs a little more moist for a more spacey effect.

Edited by Hombre del Monte
Not able to like posts phone my phone
  • Like 3

On 20/02/2023 at 10:49 PM, highgrower said:

Current cobs being fermented all got opened up for a sniff earlier today.

large.cob-collection.jpg

Unfortunately the long Memory Loss one has broken in the middle - smell has faded a bit compared to last time opened it so have let it ferment a week to long i think.

The Super Malawi Haze on top row on the left - also has lost a little bit of its aroma so time to let dry and age.

Top right is the big Guawi one which I think is on the edge of being done so am letting it dry a bit but will let ferment a bit more and check again at the end of the week.

The Celia one bottom left - smells amazing been sniffing it all day - when i opened the vac bag i had a blast from when I was in my early 20s and used to get the most compressed light green super sweet smelling stuff and the smell took me straight back to then - im sure it was from holland and compressed to shit so they could pack in as much as possible but also think it had a chance to cure perhaps packed next to some truck engine or exhaust - shame i never tried to munch it back then as i am positive it had fermented and was cobbed essentially as it was such a smooth an memorable smoke.

MxP one needs more time - the sweetness is in the background but enough yet.

Anyone else been cobbing anything recently?

Not actually cobbing at the moment but enjoying last years cobs now that they've started to be of a more respectable age.

We tried a bit of some 18month old New Caledonia the other day. Really spacey and not at all motivating. Excellent for the beach.

Today we've had 4 month old Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian and it's very lively, like you'd expect from a African Sativa.

I'm currently deciding what to grow this year. My plans have been thrown into disarray this year, as I've been gifted some truly outstanding genetics.

A5/Thai x Colombia mangobiche
Zamal/Jamaica blue m x A5/Thai
ZambiaIBL
Double congo
Oaxaca79/oaxaca (kaiki)f3
Destroyer x Dc/ tom hz (raco )
Reina M x Angola roja
Lilly piña colada x Mango 

Destroyer (2005).

Golden Tiger x Panama Feminized
Green Haze 19 A5 Feminized
Killer A5 Haze Feminized
Zenith Feminized

And I still have some of Tangwena sensei's beans as well, Honduras x Panama and several others. I can only realistically do 5 plants in my small outdoor garden.

The Destroyer is a definite, as is the killer A5. 

A pleasant dilemma though. 

I also have some subbies too!., Celia and błine bx. 

Edited by Hombre del Monte
  • Like 8

@highgrower

I see that you've given you smoking spliffs and gone over to vaping. 

Are you doing much munching of the cobs and how are you finding it?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hombre del Monte said:

Are you doing much munching of the cobs and how are you finding it?

As it happens I had been laying off them and letting them mature.

But on monday eve I decided that I had a good few days off the spliffs and time to have a munch to see if it had more of an effect - I had about 0.5g of the older SMH and also 0.5g of the Panama - I really had a nice buzz from them for most of the evening and didnt feel the want/need to vape/smoke anything but still not tripping out as some descriptions of people eating them have written.

I think my tolerance is still quite high and need to reduce the amount im vaping and perhaps munch double the amount to have a stronger affect me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey up fellas... Today I had a bash at starting some little cobs :smug: Didn't see your previous post about having it nearly ready to smoke @highgrower. As you can see they were pretty wet still having only hung for 5 days.. They're currently wrapped in bubblewrap with a heatmat wrapped around, sitting at 35 degrees C when I last checked.

I jumped in without much knowledge but just wanted to do something weed related as I have no plants in flower and it's getting to me lol. Gonna look through this thread properly tonight, but have I messed up here or will they be okay? I seem to remember you saying that if they're wet then just let them dry back a fair bit after the sweat. Is that right @Hombre del Monte?

Cheers :)

large.20230406_173743.jpg

• Like 2

They do look quite green/wet - is the vacuum tightness getting less as the water moisture inflates the bag?

I would take them out and dry them for a while (days) before sealing them up again.

Perhaps dry for a couple of days then seal for a few days then dry for another few days so they loose at least 10% if not 20% of their weight (hard to say how wet they are) - by sealing them up and for a few days and then drying them more you will get the moisture to even out and not have dry outside but still wet the middle.

@Hombre del Monte is the man on this though 

• Like 2

Damn I don't know why I didn't read first before taking action.. will learn one day :wassnnme:

I'll unwrap them when I get upstairs and take a look at whether the bag has inflated.. should it have? 

Thanks man, hopefully they're not knackered 

• Like 2

So a couple of them had a slight bit of air in the bag but actually barely any moisture.. one had a bit of moisture and the other had quite a lot... I've had them in the greenhouse for a couple of hours drying back a bit. The two that were fairly dry I've sealed back up to see how they go, but I'll keep the other two out to dry a bit more. Sort of realised too late that drying them in the sun wasn't the best idea, but I'm sure it wont be too detrimental just for 2 hours

large.20230407_124234_compress34.jpg

• Like 4

@Rustybiff, as @highgrower say's, they were too wet going nito the ferment; But thankfully nothing is really lost, as you took them out quickly and your temperture was quite low, so the fermentation won't have been too fierce.

If we start too wet, the we lose a lot of the terps and end up with a very dark cob; You can't destroy the high though, it'll just be different, more spacey rather than racey.

As Highgrower says, dry them until the surface is good and dry to the touch, then reseal them, stick them at 35-40 for 24-48hrs, open and dry again, before resealing and leaving at 30c for a week before checking for that special sweet smell.

You may find that because your's were so wet that they might have a rather unpleasant, amonia like smell currently; if so don't worry, just let them dry really well on the outside before resealing and fermenting at a lower temperature. The unpleasant smell will go after a while.

• Like 3

Reckon my cobs from last year are ready to try now they've had at least a six month cure. Might sample some over Easter, see what I've been missing. :) 

• Like 5

Hey @Hombre del Monte, thanks for the words of advice, good timing! I actually think things aren't going too badly.. while they were defo too wet I think I made the photos look worse by compressing them too hard with my hand and crushing the leaves..

One of them did take on a slight off smell but the rest seem alright, now they're back in the bags I can't see more moisture so I think the first vacuum may have squeezed most of it out? 

Hopefully they're okay!

• Like 1