The GAVIE System (ex Mish-Mash)

stu914

burnt my wings too dude with me new led :stoned: too close to the sun! it’s a fucker :smokin: didn’t realise it was a thing with led lol 

:bong:

• Like 2

@twigs

I've been using these buggers for several years and really should know better, certainly a wake up call not to get complacent...

I've been looking at apogee meters to get the lights dialled in properly but they're bloody expensive so I'll probably stick to trial and error,

usually get there in the end...:yep:

:oldtoker:

• Like 4

On 07/06/2022 at 2:55 PM, stu914 said:

@Takamine

With that name you must be a guitar player like myself?

Last question first...this crop is a fecking disaster, I think I set the res up wrongly at the start and they never recovered.

Showed calmag defs so I dosed them, made it worse...going into flush tomorrow at 8 weeks and while I'll get something, I'm not impressed.

Highest temp in the res if I recall was just over 24c with no problems. Room temps are set at 25c so it creeps pretty close to that.

The res and table is a complete 1m2 unit made for flood and drain which has one end open for filling draining etc, piece of pee to do.

It's completely lightproof with a cover if needed.

I use a maxijet 1000 attached to a hose which goes out directly outside into the drain, once the pump gets the solution flowing I disconnect it

and let gravity do the rest, this way the res can be almost fully drained. 

I've a 100ltr water butt next to the res with attached hose directly into the res to refill (this gets to room temps which prevents shocking the plants)

Nutes added and checked once the res is full, stirred by the same maxijet I use to empty, on constantly.

I think because I use 'rootit' sponges to start seeds they act like a tiny reservoir when the seedlings are only days old so one feed a day works.

I increase the frequency of feeds as the roots grow and once they're just poking out the mesh pot they go up to full 15 on 45 off 24/7.

Have a look in my gallery and you'll see how this grow system progressed to where it is now.

Good Luck bud

the root it sponges are to blame i bet. im having issues with my latest grow, and these sponges are to blame.they hold too much water, so the roots dont need to migrate outwards etc. its proving to be a royal pain in my hole, im not using them again.

it also looks like cal mag def in a couple although ive never had calmag issues at the same feeds previously. 

its a fine line with hydro, thats the truth.

hope you get it sorted, try them straight into hydroton next time mate, thats my plan

• Like 3

im not saying your lights havnt contributed to things too, but these spongy wee cnuts are goin binward

• Like 1

@badbillybob

Hi bud, 

It's not the sponges, I've used them for donkey's years with no problems both for seeds and cuts.

If they were the culprits the whole plant would be affected and it's only on the leaves in direct light.

If I'd diagnosed it correctly at the start instead of shoving calmag in there thinking it was a deficiency, things would have been OK,

looks like that only made things worse, too fecking late now, every day's a school day in this game, good job I can't kick my own arse!!  :rofl::rofl:

• Like 4

Just now, badbillybob said:

its definitely the sponges for mine. 

You sure it's not the gap...??? :wassnnme::ouch::rofl:

(Sorry, sometimes the urge is irresistible...:rofl:)

• Like 3

@stu914

hope this issue is sorted now mate - but just crossed my mind and I don’t think it was mentioned, could it be a little micro climate thing ? Maybe something stopping healthy transpiration just there 

@Puffdiddy

Cheers bud, they're coming out in the next couple of days and surprisingly there's some bud to be harvested.

It's definitely the lights too close/strong, I've had several crops in this set-up with no real issues until now.

My own daft fault for not paying attention to what I'm doing due to other shit going on in my life.

• Like 4

@stu914

Glad to hear mate … 

I’m sure I’ve got this and many other fuckagrammes coming down the track. 
shit gets complex real fast… 

• Like 1

Finally got out of trim jail and they're a couple of days drying, difficult to keep temps low with the weather we've had lately, it is what it is...

I'm not expecting too much from this latest crop as buds are light and fluffy after getting well and truly light burnt.

Won't happen again, I've brought in the heavy guns...

SpotOn Quantum PAR meter

large.SSCN1699.JPG

This baby arrived this morning - set me back £261 + £58 import tax delivered in 4 days.

One of the easiest meters to use, switch on, take reading, switch off pretty much sums it up.

Had a little play already and luckily the little 150w led over these wasn't far out...(set at 40w, 12" above the plants)

Two Blueberry autos, one Night Queen auto and a mother Wedding Cake vegging nicely in the veg fridge.

large.SSCN1697.JPG

Roots!!  Did someone mention roots??

large.SSCN1700.JPGlarge.SSCN1702.JPG

MIND THE GAP!!

'til next time

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon All,

The last lot also failed after some sort of nutrient issue and and went in the bin...:fart:

All cleaned up and fresh nutes...

large.SSCN1722.JPG

New pipework on the 9 pot manifold in the Gavie system...this shows the whole rig and pump for feeding/watering...

large.SSCN1723.JPG

Here we are again with another starter for ten, or in this case eleven...:wassnnme:

large.SSCN1721.JPG

2 Critical Mango

5 White Widow x Big Bud

1 Sweet Zombie

1 Double Black

2 Pure Kush

They all went to the bottom of the glass during soak and are in rootit sponges, I'll choose 9 of the best if they all germinate, minimum 5 will do.

After a good bleach clean up, smaller pots, new pipework and nutes I'm not expecting any problems this grow. 

Looking forward to see how the PAR meter performs as well.

'til next time

• Like 5

4 hours ago, stu914 said:

Afternoon All,

The last lot also failed after some sort of nutrient issue and and went in the bin...:fart:

All cleaned up and fresh nutes...

large.SSCN1722.JPG

New pipework on the 9 pot manifold in the Gavie system...this shows the whole rig and pump for feeding/watering...

large.SSCN1723.JPG

Here we are again with another starter for ten, or in this case eleven...:wassnnme:

large.SSCN1721.JPG

2 Critical Mango

5 White Widow x Big Bud

1 Sweet Zombie

1 Double Black

2 Pure Kush

They all went to the bottom of the glass during soak and are in rootit sponges, I'll choose 9 of the best if they all germinate, minimum 5 will do.

After a good bleach clean up, smaller pots, new pipework and nutes I'm not expecting any problems this grow. 

Looking forward to see how the PAR meter performs as well.

'til next time

Ok @stu914 how are you connecting your feeding tubes to the white pipe what stuff would I need cheers

• Like 1

@Baron von greenback

Hi bud,

If you google '4mm micro irrigation fittings' all the bits you need are there...

The piece that joins 4mm feed pipe onto the main 13mm is called an 'injection fitting'

You only need those and 'T' pieces for the 4mm feed pipe and drip rings, (I use three per ring)

Plus one 13mm 'T' piece and three 13mm right angles for the manifold.

large.SSCN0973.JPG

Cheers

• Like 4