The GAVIE System (ex Mish-Mash)

stu914

1 hour ago, twigs said:

when the balls are out dude!

Cheers bud that's just the info I need, he'll be out tomorrow...:yep:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are the first day of a new month.

Day 18 of 12/12 and a quick pic of what's now a 2 plant scrog. I'm happy with the environment...and so are the plants...:yep:

With such a poor ratio of male/female leading to lack of choice, I've abandoned seed production for this run.

large.SSCN1598.JPGlarge.SSCN1597.JPG

This grow system once set up is almost maintenance free. No PH adjustment needed and EC stable at 1.6.

'til next time

:oldtoker:

• Like 9

On 25/03/2022 at 11:57 AM, stu914 said:

Here we go with the upgraded and tweaked 9 pot system...

9 x ESB 30 days from seed sown

large.SSCN1564.JPG

New 9 way manifold, this is a complete ring with all feed lines to the pots equal length giving even pressure to each pot.

large.SSCN1565.JPG

EC 1.4 fed every two hours 24/7

'til next time

:oldtoker:

bro why do you have that extra path at the top (with the yellow stripe) where the liquid looks like it can circulate the loop as well as supply feed to the manifold?

really liking this medium-less system so far

mystic

• Like 2

what size Wilma table is that? @stu914

oh I remember now its an nft tray.... what size?

1 more question, observation really, my plants get massive the way I train em and these days im lucky if I can get 4 auto's in 12L fabric pots/coco within a 1200mm2 area.... any thoughts?... I see there you've got 9 in that area and im thinking thats a lot for the space kind of thing...

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 2

Just now, mysticriver said:

why do you have that extra path at the top (with the yellow stripe) where the liquid looks like it can circulate the loop as well as supply feed to the manifold?

I believe it helps to equalise the pressure across the manifold outlets.

Like you I'm interested in something like this setup too with an eye to doing something similar at some point.

I'm only on my third coco run at the moment and I'm hankering for some auto watering action if nothing else.

I'm just coming to week 3 of 12/12 and my EC is starting to run away a bit because of dry back. Again!

I've seen a little NFT grow tank that would just about fit in my drobe and something like @stu914's Mish-Mash pebble bucket systerm appeals more than straight NFT.

It's a toss up between a run to waste with coco or a Gavie (or is it Gavle now?) type setup.

:-)

• Like 4

@mysticriver

Hi bud,

The upper pipe in the manifold is just an old piece of hose as I didn't have enough white pipe to finish the build.

On the left is a 13mm 'T' piece coming up off the pump, with three more 13mm right angles to complete the circuit.

All the 4mm nozzles are coming off the white pipe and I'll be replacing the green/yellow hose with white after this grow.

The 4mm feed lines are the same length to each pot and as the pressure is equal coming off the manifold all plants get the same.

The table is a 1m2 flood and drain, ideal for this modded system, NFT table works just as well.

The 9 plants hadn't been sexed and I expected several to be males...not 7 out of 9 though so it's been a bit of a struggle

to fill the space with only two left after the boys were turfed out.

Nine in this space is perfect for doing same strain cuttings or running 12/12 from seed with little or no training. 

Being able to move the pots around, remove and/or replace them is one of the benefits of this method of growing.

Cheers...:yep:

Just now, Wacky Wardrobe said:

equalise the pressure across the manifold outlets

Spot on bud...:yep:

I'm a lazy sod by nature so auto watering is a dream, I just checked the EC this morning, no change, feckall to do...:rofl:

If you fancy giving this system a go and I can help give me a shout...

Cheers...:yep:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

give me a shout...

A couple of questions then Stu.

Why not use larger net pots that fill the space in the buckets a bit more or even just use pots or buckets full of Hydroton?

Wouldn't that give a bit more for the roots to grow through rather than all that space and a disc of roots at the bottom plus providing a bit more ballast?

When the pump runs for 15 mins. per hour what sort of delivery rate are you looking for?

Is it a drip, a dribble, a trickle or a stream?

Are you running it for that long to aerate and mix the reservoir or to wash salt build up away (or a mixture of both I guess)?

Cheers

• Like 3

@Wacky Wardrobe

I wanted to keep medium to a minimum (that's a mouthful :rofl:) hence the 4" mesh pots. I've used larger pots filled with pebbles and ended

up with pot sized bricks...fecking nightmare to break down and dispose of, better to let the roots run and pretty much all you have left is the mat.

large.SSCN1080.JPG large.SSCN1109.JPG large.SSCN0972.JPG

In my first system the plants were static and could not be moved so I switched to the buckets which I expected to be full of roots...they weren't..:rofl:

I've got some smaller ones which just need modding to fit...probably next grow.

large.SSCN1181.JPG

The pump is a maxijet 1000 and open nozzles in the pots are free flowing.

large.SSCN0973.JPG

As the roots aren't in a medium they cannot be overwatered so it could be left on 24/7  (like NFT)

but running 15 on 45 off the roots can take up max oxygen. These timings are built up, once a day to start when they're tiny and so on.

There's a seperate pump to keep the nutes mixed running 24/7 along with an aquarium heater set at 20c.

I use a scrog net to support the plants towards the end of flower so weight in the pots isn't needed.

• Like 8

Cheers for all the detail Stu.

I'll be keeping an eye on how your buckets evolve as I ponder doing something similar.

In the meantime it looks like I'm back to hand watering twice a day for the next six weeks!

ATB

• Like 3

22 hours ago, stu914 said:

Being able to move the pots around,

this is what I would want. to be able to adjust the position as they grow and turn the pots around occasionally 

im considering a gavie (or 2) for my space - 1.2 x 2.4m. a couple of 1m2 nft tables. 4 buckets per ~450W light

what size buckets? currently getting about 25 zips per light in 12L coco. does the bucket size matter with regards to yield?

and what nutrients would I need? I currently use shogun coco and calmag. I use reverse osmosis water as ive found my tap water to be very bad for cannabis plant growing. id still need calmag then? prolly not as much as for coco

mystic 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, stu914 said:

@Wacky Wardrobe

I wanted to keep medium to a minimum (that's a mouthful :rofl:) hence the 4" mesh pots. I've used larger pots filled with pebbles and ended

up with pot sized bricks...fecking nightmare to break down and dispose of, better to let the roots run and pretty much all you have left is the mat.

large.SSCN1080.JPG large.SSCN1109.JPG large.SSCN0972.JPG

In my first system the plants were static and could not be moved so I switched to the buckets which I expected to be full of roots...they weren't..:rofl:

I've got some smaller ones which just need modding to fit...probably next grow.

large.SSCN1181.JPG

The pump is a maxijet 1000 and open nozzles in the pots are free flowing.

large.SSCN0973.JPG

As the roots aren't in a medium they cannot be overwatered so it could be left on 24/7  (like NFT)

but running 15 on 45 off the roots can take up max oxygen. These timings are built up, once a day to start when they're tiny and so on.

There's a seperate pump to keep the nutes mixed running 24/7 along with an aquarium heater set at 20c.

I use a scrog net to support the plants towards the end of flower so weight in the pots isn't needed.

is this a different system to the gavie? or what it was before you put the buckets on top of the table?

mystic

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

different system to the gavie?

Both systems are essentially the same, above is the first one I tried but once the roots are out on the table the plants couldn't be moved...

...that's the reason for using buckets.

The current ones are 5ltr which I thought would be pretty full by harvest...you know the rest...the new ones are 2.5ltr.

I use advanced sensi ph perfect nutes...Just the base A+B Grow and Bloom... + Buddhas Tree PK during flower...NOTHING ELSE!!

Lots of naysayers for these but I find they give perfect results, no ph adjustments and in your case...

...designed to be used with RO water...No Calmag needed... bonus! 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, stu914 said:

you know the rest

quick recap?

".designed to be used with RO water...No Calmag needed!" (quote function doesn't work when quoting more than 1 bit of the same post...)

shit that sounds interesting

the 1 thing thats making me stall is not so much the expense of setting up the system, (after all would be saving ~£30-a-throw on not buying the medium) but the learning curve with a/ a new growing system along with b/ the new nutrient regime

as im only just getting good results with the way I do it now

after 18 month

ill have to have a read up on your diary. have you had good results? can't remember 

what's the tl;dr version

mystic

Just now, mysticriver said:

quick recap?

I expected the 5ltr buckets to be full of roots and they weren't. Never affected growth, yield or quality though.

What equipment have you currently got that can be used to make a system?

On 02/05/2022 at 1:13 PM, stu914 said:

designed to be used with RO water...No Calmag needed..

Where the source for that bro?

mystic