Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Be careful chopping it up too much, they're put together to ensure seperate air flow and water draining off the fins. Bypassing the switch will be straightforward enough I'd have thought... It's a touch sensitive one so you can't hold it down really.

These ones are unlikely to have any overheat protection I expect. 

• Like 2

Mine has a button but still works when power is sent via inkbird, I got the Aidododododo one farmer showed us a pic of on eBay. Was gonna try and re route the power supply from under the tank to above and do away with the tank and stand. That would almost halve the size meaning you only lost a portion of one shelf rather than 2. 

i gotta say @FarmerPalmersNT I reckon I’ll not fit far off 15 oz in here with stems off, I got made to measure silicone mesh sheets that fit the shelves fully so can I can really fill the thing. Am I ok to fill the shelves I’ve cut around dehumidifier? These won’t dry faster or anything will they? 

• Like 2

The Dehumidifier turned up today. Within about 5 minutes it was a pile of bits on the desk, the touch button was some weird springy thing which I'm not familiar with, plus it was part of the main board, so the main board went in the bin lol. I'm sure I could have made it work, but it was superfluous to my needs. I have mounted the "raw" dehumidifier onto the door, the shelf moulding should act as a bit of a shroud, bringing air past the cool side, into the back, through the heat sink and out of the top, I mocked up a little duct out of carboard and duct tape. I'm still waiting on the controller so that's as far as I can get for now. I'll have to pull the transformer/plug apart because the controller puts out 240v 

If you ask me that heat sink is the wrong way round, I want to flip it over but I don't have any thermal paste so it can wait.

large.PXL_20211202_173557896_compress75.jpglarge.PXL_20211202_173605251_compress35.jpglarge.PXL_20211202_171417097_compress70.jpglarge.PXL_20211202_173613369_compress6.jpg

It didn't come with a drain hose but luckily I have a few bits of tubing I can use. I'll probably route it out the front of the door.

Fun little project this, Think I might have earned a blue Peter badge by the time I'm done lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Blue brother said:

Am I ok to fill the shelves I’ve cut around dehumidifier? These won’t dry faster or anything will they? 

Not in my experience. I use all the shelves, even around the dehumidifier

Looking interesting @MindSoup 

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT

In an ideal world the warm side of the peltier will sit outside the case (well ventilated and with a fan) so it doesn't raise the internal temperature when it's running. If you can manage that, it'd be brill.

• Like 2

@FarmerPalmersNT that would be pretty cool :wassnnme:

I think it would be possible to mount it on the back like that, but for the time and effort I'm not sure I can be arsed, I'd have to trim shelves and cut big holes etc. My thinking was that its heating and cooling at the same time, so it kind of cancels itself out lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

To be honest the only time I see the temp go up beyond spec is in the first few hours of wet weed when the dehumidifier is working hard. It'll get to about 18 regardless of how low you set it. It's no bad thing tbh as you want to get the excess gone to prevent any mould I'd say. The heat helps with that. After that it stays where it's set more or less.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 1

That's good to know, I might have panicked a bit if that happened.  I'm feeling pretty optimistic about this little thing. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

It's also awesome at drying shrooms btw. Whack it on lowest temp, lowest humidity and the cooler and dehumidifier both pull water out. 

Worth knowing that this and really wet nugs can cause a bit of water to pool on the bottom as it condenses on the cold peltier fins and runs down. Because I'm using the drain it doesn't run out. You have 3 choices if it does that. 1) cut a small drain hole in the pipe at floor level to allow it to flow through 2) leave it until the dehumidifier deals with it (what I've been doing) 3) open the door (which I avoid at all costs) and mop it up.

• Like 1

I'm yet to successfully start off any shrooms, I was playing around with uncle bens tek a while back but couldn't keep them warm enough at night to get a culture going, a proper shroomery will be top of the list when more spacious accommodation can be found, I also want to try and get some wavy caps/Cyans going in the garden where I've layed wood chip.

I have noticed a wee bit of moisture on the floor, there's a little recessed channel where it runs down from the fins to a drain which im hoping isnt  blocked, but good to know I can just leave it. 

Sick, did you harvest some wild mycelium or culture from Spores? I saw somewhere was selling Cyan spores a while ago, but I'm told it's a non native so I wouldn't feel to bad digging some up and bringing it home. 

I got mine from a guy :yep:

They are dead easy to get going. Add a few well colonised chips to a bucket of damp woodchip. Leave a month or so, bury it in a big trench full of chips. Done. Mushrooms in your garden forever. 

Did it in my last place. Used to get kilos off it if I wanted.

My current patch, only little at the moment:

large.20211020_155004.jpg

A typical daily haul:

large.20211021_105019.jpglarge.20211021_104636.jpg

• Like 11