Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

10 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

@FarmerPalmersNT What are the dimensions of the wine cooler, external and internal.

Also what are the dimensions of the mini dehumidifier.

Rather hot right now, 31'c with 40% humidity....

It'll be on the product pages.

2 hours ago, Thai Stick said:

@Keye Have you thought about what to do about the condensation generated from the peltier?

It'll be sucked out of the air by the dehumidifier.

I'm having a slight mare with the peltiers, actually. I've killed two over the last week, all of a sudden. So I'm guessing my power supply situation isn't aligned with the fragility of the  equipment.

I'm going to try using a mini fridge I have, controlled with some Inkbirds, housing the dehumidifier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

It'll be on the product pages.

Tried to find it but was playing a guessing game without a model number :P  lol

1 hour ago, Keye said:

Sorry, missed that bit.

Only saw you were adding a humidifier which got me stumped. lol

• Like 1

On 20/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Cooler model: Cookology CW28BK 28 bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler

Might find that in the jungle for 169.99 too.

@Thai Stick

• Like 3

I've killed all my peltier setups this week, somehow. So I've turned to a small compressor fridge that I have spare.

I'm going to try and put the dehumidifier inside this tiny desktop 'beer fridge' and let an Inkbird run the humidity and another to run the Temp. Lets see how it goes!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Keye said:

I'm having a slight mare with the peltiers, actually. I've killed two over the last week, all of a sudden. So I'm guessing my power supply situation isn't aligned with the fragility of the  equipment.

I'm going to try using a mini fridge I have, controlled with some Inkbirds, housing the dehumidifier.

I take it the peltier units are quite low voltage? Have you wired them to an appropriate step down transformer? 

• Like 2

Yea, @crticalcontent I've got quite an OK bench supply available and it was happy at what I was running it, then I bought a PSU rated at that supply and ran one for a while like that.

They're not always low voltage, no. It just depends how they're put together. You can stack them, too. But the thing is, they rely quite a bit on their mechanical composition, if that makes sense. They can be made so they're a bit delicate, as I understand, or they can be built a bit better. There's lots of cheap shit out there and now that's become the standard. They're then mounted on heat transfer blocks or heatsinks and then those have fans and mounting hardware on; there's a lot of twisting and bending happening and maybe my hands weren't as considered as they should have been!

• Like 3

Good to see how you get on @Keye. I’m planning on making something similar with some PIR insulation boards. I Need a unit that can dry a fair bit in one go. Keen to see which peltier you finally settle on. It’s a bit of a minefield choosing quality. eBay is tempting but after hearing you zapping a few units I’m going to swerve to cheapys. I see electrical wholesalers like farnells are quite a bit more pricey for their units. I assume all the components will be built to last in those ones? 
Keep us updated dude 

• Like 2

I think there's a limit to the size in terms of effectiveness. Hence why you can't buy massive thermoelectric wine coolers. The bigger coolers are literally just one on top of the other, and more than twice the cost of two cheapies so no point in those. If you were DIYing I'd look to build something you can separate into individual compartments with a peltier unit in each. Soon gets pricier and probably easier to just buy the wine cooler I reckon. Especially as it has a proper sealed door, and probably better insulation with the pentane foam they use.

• Like 1

Can’t believe I’m just finding this now, I’ve been reading and reading about a few diff methods of drying. Came across the lotus cure or low and slow they call it. It’s essentially drying in a frost free fridge in jars with mesh lids. Was gonna give it a go seeing as those cannatrols are so pricy and I have a spare fridge freezer. But now I’ve seen this I’m gonna build one of these.

How much do you reckon you could fit in ur unit? Obviously it will be wet going in and I don’t weigh my bud wet so if you could give me the weight once dried that would be brilliant.

can you tell me if you see any benefit in dropping the temperature to say 6c. A lot of the claimed benefits of the lotus cure come from the low temp and it’s ability to prevent the volatilisation of terps, in particular myrcene.

amazing work mate, really. Well done 

• Like 1

Cheers man. I think you could fit a bar in that at most. And that'd be with careful loading. 

Don't think there's much benefit in dropping to 6. Most terps are fairly stable in a sealed box at 15/16. The extra length of time it'd take would outweigh the tiny gain and you'd reach the point of diminishing benefit as you get colder IMO. At that temperature you're going to take an awful lot longer to get to jarring humidity too just because of the low energy in the water evaporation is going to be tiny. Harder to keep the air humidity right for a controlled dry as well. I've tried cold dry and cure in a fridge. Similar idea, open jars. It was better than regular but had issues with mould, stuff at the top crisping and wet at the bottom.... it wasn't as good as this by a long mile. Didn't carry in experimenting with it mind you so maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Cheers man. I think you could fit a bar in that at most. And that'd be with careful loading. 

Don't think there's much benefit in dropping to 6. Most terps are fairly stable in a sealed box at 15/16. The extra length of time it'd take would outweigh the tiny gain and you'd reach the point of diminishing benefit as you get colder IMO. At that temperature you're going to take an awful lot longer to get to jarring humidity too just because of the low energy in the water evaporation is going to be tiny. Harder to keep the air humidity right for a controlled dry as well. I've tried cold dry and cure in a fridge. Similar idea, open jars. It was better than regular but had issues with mould, stuff at the top crisping and wet at the bottom.... it wasn't as good as this by a long mile. Didn't carry in experimenting with it mind you so maybe I'm missing something.

thanks for the speedy reply. 

by a bar do you mean 9 ounces? 
do you leave stem on? 

Edited by Blue brother