Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Great project only just found this thread. Was just thinking.. a small rack cabinet from a server would be ideal? 

Yeah mate once you get them dialed in they're brilliant. Can't say I'm all that familiar with server racks TBH are they insulated and air tight? 

• Like 1

If the fridge is packed you'll need to edge it down definitely. Otherwise the dehumidifier is working non stop which actually generates a bit of heat. Leave it off for 20 mins or so and see where the RH gets. Stick the dehumidifier on 5 or 10% below that. Rinse and repeat in steps.

• Like 4

They’re not insulated mate just thinking could maybe line the inside with something. Can buy Peltier cooling kit for a Desktop computer lol was what me think of the server cabinet. 

Edited by Smokey McBongface

@FarmerPalmersNT bumped it up to 70% and 16°c seems to have done the trick. I'm away until Monday from tomorrow though, so I'll have to decide whether you leave it at 68 or skip it down to 66, probably the latter. 

@Smokey McBongface TBH you'd probably have an easier, cheaper time just buying a wine cooler, you just have to keep an eye out for a good sale or 2nd hand deal. There was a company selling new but superficially damaged ones on eBay for £80 a while back. 

large.Screenshot_20220901-073436_Engbird.jpglarge.Screenshot_20220901-073504_Engbird.jpg

• Like 1

Well my flat has a tendency to either be way too hot or way too humid for drying/curing, so for me the difference has definitely been very noticeable. It's just nice to know that whatever the weather I can manufacture an almost perfect environment for my needs. 

Thats the way mate. I find if the fridge has a lot of material the rh inkbird needs to be dialed down in increments.

Thats how I do mine.

75 for first day and generally 5% a day or whatever. Whatever it says the rh is keep it just under it by like 10% or so max for the win. 

When I get chance I'll pop up my specs and how I've done it. The dehumidifier I found is tiny like 1l jar tiny when cut down and makes life very simple 

• Like 6

@blackpoolbouncer Yeah it makes sense now I think about it. With traditional methods your controlling the humidity of the air to dry the buds out the most optimal way, whereas with the fridge its controlling the level of moisture in the buds themselves so sitting at 70/75 and coming down from there isn't as scary/weird as it might seem. 

Would be nice to find a way to program the curve/drop so I don't have to be there to drop it down each day, I'll have to let the cogs tick on that one for a little while. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

@blackpoolbouncer Yeah it makes sense now I think about it. With traditional methods your controlling the humidity of the air to dry the buds out the most optimal way, whereas with the fridge its controlling the level of moisture in the buds themselves so sitting at 70/75 and coming down from there isn't as scary/weird as it might seem. 

Would be nice to find a way to program the curve/drop so I don't have to be there to drop it down each day, I'll have to let the cogs tick on that one for a little while. 

You can do that with inkbird WiFi by using the smartlife feature in the app. It takes some understanding but it's easy once you get the jist.

• Like 1

Great thread guys :D

Will be picking one of these up when I get back from my trip in just over a week.

Silly question time - How do you figure out if the wine cooler is thermoelectrically cooled other than just trusting the Amazon search? Can't see anything in the specs about it, so I'm just assuming the model I'm looking at is based upon appearance..

@SkyRider you need to keep looking to find one with a spec that shows it. 

Any mention of a compressor is no good. 

Mine are klarstein 28 bottle wine coolers and were very reasonably priced for a new one. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

@SkyRider you need to keep looking to find one with a spec that shows it. 

Any mention of a compressor is no good. 

Mine are klarstein 28 bottle wine coolers and were very reasonably priced for a new one. 

That seems to be the issue with Amazon, they don't state either way. Guess I'll have to just try and look up the tech spec via google

5 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

klarstein 28 bottle wine coolers

Found this model for about £270 on amazon. Sadly I think it's a tiny bit too big for me (need to shove it through a loft hatch). Will have a good look when I get back and trawl through some spec sheets if I can hunt them down.