Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Not this side of Christmas, but for my next grow, for certain, I'm going to be getting a thermoelectric fridge. I really enjoyed it. It's nicely contained, I don't have to open up boxes and move buds around, I don't have to worry about smell too much. It's worked for one, and it seems to have worked better than my usual 'in a paper bag somewhere' approach, for two.

• Like 2

Oh yeah I forgot you where using a compressor fridge. The one I'm getting was only £20 quid, but its just a "desktop chiller" not a "wine cooler" seems having a glass door and wine racks inside bring the price up alot lol worth keeping an eye out if your not fussed about buying brand new, I just set FB marketplace to notify me when anything matching my search was listed. 

• Like 1

Yes, good thinking - I hadn't imagined but of course a glass door will bump up the price! The rack positions are a good idea. To be honest, a brand new one is less than the cost of an ounce of weed from a dealer nowadays. Which is how I tend to rank a lot of things I buy! Anyway, it's not a huge amount relatively speaking and therefore a good investment. Now I know how it works, I'm prepared to invest a bit for longer term use.

• Like 3

Yeah to be fair if I wasn't skint AF I would have just bought one new, there's been a few new but superficially damaged  cookology ones going for sub 100 on the bay. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I’ve just finished building mine (yesterday)and I love it! Got some silicone mesh mats off the jungle that fit the shelves nicely. 

the problem I have now is there is a strong smell of silicone in the fridge, I used a 40mm hole saw to cut through the unit, I kept the core of insulation. I split the core so I could put the wires and drain hose through the Center then taped and sealed it back in place with silicone then covered the hole with foil tape inside and out. 

I reckon I’ll fit a decent ammount in there if I utilise all available shelf space and cut the stems off, have you ever had any problems with putting stuff so close to the dehumidifier? That might be a stupid question haha

• Like 1

@FarmerPalmersNT @Thai Stick I have spoken with the ebay seller about the aforementioned Dehumidifier. They have confirmed that in this instance the "auto off" refers to it automatically turning off when the drainage tank is full :yep:. Strange thing to list as a feature. 

@MindSoup why do you think it's an odd feature?

Auto off when reserviour is full makes sense otherwise it would continue to run and overflow all over the place. lol

Strange thing to LIST as a feature. Where on earth is there a dehumidifier that doesn't turn of when its res is full ?? lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Strange thing to LIST as a feature. Where on earth is there a dehumidifier that doesn't turn of when its res is full ?? lol.

That'd be the Schrödehumidifier!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MindSoup said:

@FarmerPalmersNT @Thai Stick I have spoken with the ebay seller about the aforementioned Dehumidifier. They have confirmed that in this instance the "auto off" refers to it automatically turning off when the drainage tank is full :yep:. Strange thing to list as a feature. 

It does yes. But what I'm talking about is the need to actually press a button/ momentary switch to turn it on. That's no good. It needs to run when power is sent, not just turn on into standby.

Like a telly. If I switch the plug on, it doesn't actually switch on, just go into standby. 

Dunno if that's the case with this one, but it is with quite a few. Particularly those with any kind of built in humidistat shit (which are always totally wank by virtue of design btw).

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thai Stick said:

Looking at yours @FarmerPalmersNT it has a physical on off switch that you flick up and down right?

Whereas some other models have a button of sorts? 

It's got a press button thing on the front. Which is shit. The whole unit is a bit wank tbf and if there is a better quality alternative - get it. Not that it impacts it's performance really just that it's flimsy and naff.

• Like 2

Needed another dehumidifier for under my stairs so bought one of those you linked to @MindSoup 

Bad news I'm afraid. They need a press on the touch sensitive switch to turn on. You'll need to rewire that if you plan on using it for the cooler.

• Like 1

@FarmerPalmersNT What happens if you hold the button down while when you switch it on? Does it stay on or keep restarting over and over?

I'm no too bothered if I have to re wire it because I was planning on chopping it up anyway to make it smaller. It looks like the switch is part of the main board, so if shorting it wont work I'll have to bypass the whole thing, which will make it even more compact, but do away with any overheat protection etc (not that overheating should be an issue in a fridge). Bit more work than I was hoping for, but convenience costs money. 

• Like 1