IMPORTANT: HPLVD

blackpoolbouncer

@HazyHashMan I wonder if that's why he doesn't have her now :g:

Ill be honest I'm not looking forward to going from seed again, thought I'd have a couple of years of headaches free clone growing :wallbash:lol

Edited by ukbudz
  • Like 1

Bleach is cheaper than honey though and definitely more effective for killing it on metal surfaces. Once you’re infected your cut is effectively fucked. Curing it is borderline impossible in the U.K. unless you’re a whizz at bathroom tissue culture and extremely expensive in the USA. 

prevention is better than cure anyway. If you take in clones, best to just have them separate and don’t keep the mother long term. Don’t use cutting tools across your stock. If you follow the above there’s really no risk of your prized cuts getting infected. If you get a fancy cut, get a few runs out of it and it turns symptomatic. Oh well. You had your fun just bin it. If you take in cuts and they’re symptomatic from the start, well you got diddled. 

• Like 5

Also you can get plants tested to confirm whether they have hplvd or whether you just suck at gardening. 

it’s not cheap though and you need to send the samples to Canada. Phylos in USA may also do tests but I haven’t checked. They’ll definitely do sexing trays for the U.K. option is there though. No risk either as the sample is basically a slurry. 

• Like 2

@ukbudz At least with seeds you're getting a fresh start, although i just went back for the lemon tree, never had no vigour problems with that one so fingers crossed shes all clean

• Like 2

So bleach is better than iso...

I disinfect my snips with hortisept pro, it's an benzalkonium chloride based horticultural disinfectant , I use 20ml in a litre of water and soak blades for at least ten minutes , anyone know if this would be adequate? 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Anybody thought about using a UV light to sterilise?

I've seen UV and ozone sterilizing units for the beauty industry. wonder if it would work for killing anything bad between cuts?

UVC is nasty stuff, you don't want to be any where near it when its working (major cancer risk) so might be inconvenient whilst working, but it's used a lot for sterilising equipment so once you're done a little UVC box would work well. 

It's a sealed box.

No light comes out whilst its in operation.

Have a search for Phillips UV-C box & minibox:yep:

Theres lots out there though if you look on ali express.

Theres some that are small and portable designed for disinfecting phones.

That's what im eying up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Thai Stick said:

Theres lots out there though if you look on ali express.

Something like 70-80% of them aren't actually UVC, they're just purple lamps of some sort.

It's easy to test them, aim them at something like an unripe banana and if it looks like it's about two weeks old after 15 minutes exposure you've got a UVC lamp.

• Like 1

I'm sure I read that it's got to be in the bleach a couple of hours ideally over night. Heat is what I've seen recommended between plants to kill it but I would just have a pair of snips per plant that get chucked in a bucket of bleach after each plant that way there's definitely no chance of cross contamination.

That's what I'm aiming to do moving forward.

Canny little vid explaining why there's so much conflicting evidence and also explains meristem tissue culture a little.

I think sargares nailed it for anyone still wanting to run clones, keep separate/throwaway blades for each plant and you should be golden though in the vid above they say it could be spread by using the same soil lol my premier sweets and London lemon macs aren't showing symptoms and are growing nice and vigorous in the same no till soil the infected plants were in.

I passed some cuts onto a mate of a mate a while ago ( mimosa, runtz, purple dawg ) and he has said his are all mothered up nicely and are flowering fine, though they were taking off healthy non stressed moms. I'm thinking of grabbing a few off him and running diary using a separate mom/flower tent to my seed runs and seeing if I can get them to become symptomatic over various runs.

• Like 3

This is the information I used to diagnose my plants.

Sorry to the mods if I'm not allowed to post this.  

Edited by lildaveham
Removed offsite link

Don’t know if this is relevant but seems like a very strange coincidence. 

Ran 4 red delicious gelato - Clearwater genetics (apple fritter cross) from seed, mid way through flower 1 or 2 started behaving weirdly and showing signs of what was considered maybe maybe fungal, but could not be identified on the thread about it i made on here in sick plants - sorry I don’t know how to refer it here. 

After this thing took hold of these plants, the buds never really seemed to develop or grow after this point. There was some leaf curling and discolouration going on on parts of the plant which looked similar to the photos above, but luckily for me the stalks didn’t snap like others previously mentioned, and the end product still turned out dense ish nugs with decent terps but completely stopped growing week 5 In flower with a sudden change in plant behaviour and looks. 

Reading this thread for first time and it seemed beyond coincidence it was mentioned about apple fritter.