IMPORTANT: HPLVD

blackpoolbouncer

i was thinking about this last night and even in the video the guy says it can come through in seeds about 10% of the time iirc.

Thats pretty damn high!

So does this virus live on the outside of the seed or is it genetic?

This could be a big problem.

I know a few growers here in Thailand that have supposedly imported in cuts.

If those cuts get out into the commercial outdoor grow ops we could see it affecting the landraces.....

• Like 4

Thanks for posting @blackpoolbouncer i have just moved to Merica and was hoping to get some good clones and check out the hype for myself...  is Dark Heart (and UK420!) best to follow for updates and changes?

• Like 4

I have to agree @Oldbear.

I wouldn’t even know where to get cuts from. But I’m my ‘weed culture’ naivety I see it as cheating.  I’ll get shot down for this no doubt but it does warm my cockles when I see a post of someone struggling to pop a seed or nurture a seedling coz they’ve been taking a head start the whole time lol 

• Like 4

large.PXL_20210521_191847987.PORTRAIT.jpglarge.PXL_20210521_191843127.PORTRAIT.jpg

Apple fritter from the last run, she was never amazing but she was a ok smoke and not a bad yielder but kept her around as I didn't think 1 run was enough to judge her on.

large.6162fc9889365_PXL_20210911_2047380662.jpg

Fritters from the latest run that was showing hlpvd symptoms, doesn't look to bad in the pic compared to in the flesh but they yielded next to nothing and don't smell at all. I pulled just under 10oz from 5 mimosa, 7.5 from 4 ugorg#1 and i got 1.5oz from 3 fritters lol . So yeah she let the side down, I can see why the yanks used to call this dudding.

large.PXL_20210910_201315551.jpg

Apparently one of the tell tale signs is weak stems that snap with a simple touch of an index finger like this, every single branch done this and also she snapped in half when she was potted up. Some suggested fusarium but there were white healthy roots out the bottom of the no till pot and all under the mulch layer so I ruled that out.

large.PXL_20211010_080221047.jpglarge.PXL_20211010_140300612.jpg

Some dried bud, again doesn't look terrible but has absolute no smell whatsoever. The ugorg#1 and mimosa are both stinky, sticky and dense.

Lesson learned, don't be a lazy bastard and change blades and gloves between each mother when taking cuts (this could of saved my collection apart from a couple showing symptoms). Also when bringing in cuts from any source make sure I have a quarantine area that can run the cuts to full cycle twice to check for problems.

• Like 15

Seems being a miserable cnut with no breeder pals is finally going to pay off for me lol. The only cuts ive ever run were me taking a few from my own plants (subby seeds as it goes) and running all to a finish. I mean it would be great to just pop into the garden centre and select some young uns lol . Anyway I hope this doesn't hit our shores too hard. 

• Like 4

@MindSoup it's a viroid not a virus which means it has to have a host to survive any length of time outside of its original host, so fingers crossed as there's been no plant matter in the tent for a good few weeks there shouldn't be any left plus I've bleached everything 2-3 times. Time will tell. 

• Like 6

Cross posting this from another thread where this viroid is being discussed.

I figured this might potentially be useful information for anyone who may be impacted.

Just now, NezA said:

I've heard there are anecdotal reports that it may be possible to "out clone" the spread of the virus within the plant. Meaning if you do have an infected mother it's not necessarily game over. But expect to take quite a few generations of clones of clones to get there and you need growth to be rapid enough so that the plant is building new tissue faster than it can be infected. This is basically what the tissue culture guys do, but they're cloning using the bare minimum amount of plant tissue so it's a way more effective method.

The main issue here in the UK though is access to testing for this viroid. I suspect this could potentially be a way bigger problem here than it is over in the states. I fear the cat is already out of the bag. I've heard reports from a few growers now who I suspect have probably had it. So it seems like it's already pretty widespread.

• Like 5

Yeah that video in the OP was saying it is possible to "clean" a plant, takes about 9 months or so at least. IIRC correctly they where talking about tissue culture though so cuttings might take a while longer. 

• Like 1

can it really be a new thing this particular virus/viroid.

myself I would edge my bets on being able to clone it out,although I could be wrong. I mentioned this years ago when a particular plant I had,took about a half, to a year of cloning out to get back right what kind of virus it had I don't know but what I do know is.when she recovered she was stronger than ever in all departments, its got to be like us in the way of building an immune system up over time, it's not the cali cuts that I give a fuk about its the cuts that have a bit of heritage here in the uk I would be devastated to see them go by way of this HPLVD

• Like 3

Apple fritters definitely carries.  I had two clones, looked great in early veg.  As they grew they couldn't support the weight of their own branches.  I pulled both out my flower tent, branches snapping clean in half with little pressure. 

It's a wrong un, the apple fritters.  Especially if it comes from a source referencing a Steven Spielberg alien in the name. 

Swerve! 

Fuck apple fritter man. 

It's going to be the ruin of many a grower. I just hope we swerved it in time.

Sorry to hear that @fatboy77 at least you were aware and could treat her with caution.

Think how many growrooms that cuts infecting, and the cuts it infects spreading. 

Commercials over here ain't going to be aware of this. Shits gonna be rife I tell ya 

• Like 6
Just now, blackpoolbouncer said:

Fuck apple fritter man. 

It's going to be the ruin of many a grower. I just hope we swerved it in time.

Sorry to hear that @fatboy77 at least you were aware and could treat her with caution.

Done me a big solid there, cheers!  I would have realised somethings up, but by that point probably would have hacked everything with the same tools! 

Appreciated. 

Eta - I've got an ozk and runtz from the same source in quarantine atm.  Not showing anything near the symptoms of the fritters, just something not quite right.  It being a dormant disease i'm aware it may not show up immediately. 

I'll update here if these two turn out to carry as well. 

Edited by fatboy77