First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

15 minutes ago, Zilla12 said:

Evening folks. 

Having a minor panic here. So i hadn't watered the plants for almost a week and half mainly because of the lack of heat, the soil being still quite fine and dampish under the top layer of soil and my cheapo reader thing was still saying they were quite damp although it had dropped to about half way from fully wet. 

Either way as it'd be such a long while i thought i may as well give them a bit of water, not a huge amount just a bit of soaking. I went back an hour or so later to put some parsley i'm looking to try and grow in the greenhouse and i noticed they looked a little more droopy, i THINK unless my unexperienced mind is playing tricks on me. 

Have i over watered them or watered them when they didn't need it? i assume/hope they'll probably be ok especially as the forecast is supposed to be hotter over the weekend and following week. 

What do you guys think? 

large.5f08d4f6cd762_Day18CC.jpglarge.5f08d4fa5d467_Day18WW2.jpglarge.5f08d4f98c7e9_Day18WW.jpglarge.5f08d4f8aac3e_Day18CXXL.jpglarge.5f08d4f7d66d1_Day18CC2.jpg

They are fine and looking gorgeous, bud.:yep:

• Like 1

looking good so far mate ....  wishing you the very best of luck with your grow

Edited by vortex
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Renard said:

They are fine and looking gorgeous, bud.:yep:

53 minutes ago, vortex said:

looking good so far mate ....  wishing you the very best of luck with your grow

you guys have put me at ease.

Have a great weekend!! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon 

Its day 29 since sprouting and i THINK they're looking good despite the obvious high disparity, i suspect this is because some grow quicker than others. Does anyone think i should perhaps move the order around to see if the plant on the far left is getting the most sun hence the height? 

Speaking of the one of the far left it took a little beating while i had an argument with some very temperamental chicken wire i was trying to put on front of it so i could keep the door open and keep the leafs safe from my cats. She now looks a little droopy but she's gonna be ok, right? 

large.5f15b0271dbca_Day29CXXL.jpglarge.5f15b02837aa5_Day29CXXL2.jpg 

The other two seem to be plodding along slowly, because the poor weather in the past week they've not really been drying out, the soil is still slightly damp under the top cover. I'm mainly just trying to leave them to do their thing as much as possible, the smell when i open the door is lovely, not too strong yet though which is good.

large.5f15b02d81342_Day29WW.jpglarge.5f15b0256ab70_Day29CC.jpg

At what point should i start looking for signs of them being female? 

BTW i'm in the process of getting a better/bigger fan.

large.5f15b27dd4471_Day29all3.jpg

Edited by Zilla12
  • Like 2

I did a little more research and had a closer look at my plants, discovered some signs that the elder two far left and middle are both possibly female, so thats a success. 

They look healthy enough mate, just keep watering  as and when and some gentle feeding and you'll come out on top, they might not end up monsters, but any smoke at the end of your first attempt is a win in my book. If they're feminised then they should all come out female, the thing to look for is signs of them going hermaphrodite, could be all female flowers except a few males dotted around, which will make enough pollen to seed the bud a cut yields, its only a small chance this will happen, but it can be really annoying if missed so keep an eye out for those bananas.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

They look healthy enough mate, just keep watering  as and when and some gentle feeding and you'll come out on top, they might not end up monsters, but any smoke at the end of your first attempt is a win in my book. If they're feminised then they should all come out female, the thing to look for is signs of them going hermaphrodite, could be all female flowers except a few males dotted around, which will make enough pollen to seed the bud a cut yields, its only a small chance this will happen, but it can be really annoying if missed so keep an eye out for those bananas.

Thanks, i'm pretty sure i can see some white pistols on the two bigger plants, i don't expect to see any on the smaller one as its younger. I didn't expect anything major this time around but like you said any smoke for a first time is a win, thats exactly what i'm targeting. 

Speaking of feeding i was looking at nutes, any suggestions what and when i should start including them? I was looking at the Biobizz stuff but thats only because i know the name from my soil which has seemingly done a good job so far. 

Edited by Zilla12

I use slow release nutrients, eco thrive life cycle is doing really well for me this year, paired with their biosys microbe tea it will perform easily as well as liquid nutes and its a whole lot less hassle, just sprinkle a scoop on the top of the soil in each pot and water it in with the microbe tea, then water microbe tea every week or 2.

• Like 1

I also make my own tea, I'm lucky to live in the countryside so I can go pick cumphrey and nettles and even horse tail which I steep in water for 2 weeks and then use as a liquid feed, from time to time, it smells like death but plants love it. One thing to remember is auto don't tend to like a heavy feed, so tread carefully, slow release makes it a lot easier not to over feed.

• Like 2

I learned the hard way with an auto in my first grow. Overfed too early and it definitely got stunted and had nutrient burn on some of the leaves.

It’s recovered pretty well and coming close to being ready to harvest but lesson has been learned for my next attempt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I use slow release nutrients, eco thrive life cycle is doing really well for me this year, paired with their biosys microbe tea it will perform easily as well as liquid nutes and its a whole lot less hassle, just sprinkle a scoop on the top of the soil in each pot and water it in with the microbe tea, then water microbe tea every week or 2.

Thanks for this i'll check it out, hoping to get some in before the weekend as i think they'll be ready for a watering then. 

The biggest plant is no longer droopy so i'm a happy man at the moment. Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated. That tea making sounds like fun, reckon my partner would dig that she's into all witchy stuff and making spells etc maybe i'll get her on the case ;) 

50 minutes ago, AutoAberdeen said:

I learned the hard way with an auto in my first grow. Overfed too early and it definitely got stunted and had nutrient burn on some of the leaves.

It’s recovered pretty well and coming close to being ready to harvest but lesson has been learned for my next attempt. 

Interesting, at what point did you start to feed it? I'm roughly in week 5 now, i've barely been watering the plants either way just checking them every day and the occasional spray of water mist. 

Glad to hear all was not lost, as most have said on here it's all a learning experience. 

• Like 1

Evening all. 

So over the weekend i noticed a few little things with the leafs. This is on the two elders ones the Cheese XXL and Candy Cream. 

They did have to be moved inside while i had a guy come over do some work on the outside of the house but it was only for 4/5 hours max, they still had light of some sort either way. 

Anyway anyone know what these might be and how much should i worry? Plants look fairly healthy other than that i've started them on biobuzz nutes as well. 

Thanks for any help

large.5f1f2a8a58491_Day37CC.jpeglarge.5f1f2a8b87326_Day37CXXL.jpeg

Edited by Zilla12

20 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

Probably picked up bugs from outside. Have a good look under the leaves

Had a quick look don’t seem to see anything obvious but I’ll keep and eye, thanks for the advice