First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

Right so the seeds are in. 

I had a slight change of plan from the initial crop, i was looking at the free seeds i received with my order and decided that i only do one Cheese XXL and instead try a Candy Cream Auto. 

So i have one cheese auto one CBD auto and a Candy Cream Auto.

I don't think i've ever been so nervous doing something as silly as planting seeds.  :unsure:

Currently sitting in jiffy pots in my airing cupboard inside a mini plastic greenhouse thingy. 

I went around my house for the past couple of days with a thermometer trying to find the ideal location which gave me the most consistent temps staying in and around 20c to 30c.

The temp in greenhouse in my airing cupboard is around 25c with around 50% humidity which i expect to go higher as the damp jiffy pallets are in there, am i correct in thinking the humidity could be doing with being a little higher? If so should i get my water mister and mist up the plastic of the green house every now and again? 

Also i've started a diary and i'm trying to not get itchy trigger fingers when it comes to looking and playing with my crop, so i've scheduled to check tomorrow midday to see if the pallets are still moist and then once again in the evening. I will add more visits for misting if the humidity is too low but i'm going to leave them alone as much as possible until maybe Thursday/Friday? 

Please if i've made any errors here let me know so i can rectify, you guys have been awesome. 

On 15/06/2020 at 9:47 PM, Zilla12 said:

The temp in greenhouse in my airing cupboard is around 25c with around 50% humidity which i expect to go higher as the damp jiffy pallets are in there, am i correct in thinking the humidity could be doing with being a little higher? If so should i get my water mister and mist up the plastic of the green house every now and again?

That'll be absolutely fine. I just germinated three more seeds in 24 hours with humidity at 50% and temp at 28 degrees. A little too hot maybe as the kitchen paper dried out more than I felt safe with, but still they seem fine. (Due to having been busy and then away for a day I didn't pot them till they've been in the incubator for 48 hours. By then they then had 4cm tap roots!)

Edited by MC2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MC2 said:

That'll be absolutely fine. I just germinated three more seeds in 24 hours with humidity at 50% and temp at 28 degrees. A little too hot maybe as the kitchen paper dried out more than I felt safe with, but still they seem fine. (Due to having been busy and then away for a day I didn't pot them till they've been in the incubator for 48 hours. By then they then had 4cm tap roots!)

Well so far i've had the CBD pop out (although it appears to have the seed shell  *edit* further research suggests this is ok) on the stem. The other two i've seen nothing so hopefully i'll see those two tomorrow. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by Zilla12

So my other two seeds seem to be close to popping but the CBD is looking far bigger i'm wondering should i be looking to pot this yet and get it on the window cill at least? The weather is far too wet for it to go outside and the greenhouse is still awaiting the glass? 

large.5eeb5f496d834_Seeds1copy.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zilla12 said:

So my other two seeds seem to be close to popping but the CBD is looking far bigger i'm wondering should i be looking to pot this yet and get it on the window cill at least? The weather is far too wet for it to go outside and the greenhouse is still awaiting the glass? 

If there's natural light there I don't think it matters if you move them today or tomorrow really. As you've discovered the growing leaves pop off the seed shells.

Anyway.... relax! You can hardly go wrong now...

They look about the same as my second batch (I think we are neck and neck in this). I transferred mine from the incubator to plants pots yesterday, planting them the right way up and just beneath the soil and stuck them in the greenhouse. Today they look just like yours should later in the day or tomorrow, given light that is (although mine left the seed shells beneath the soil). It's going to be interesting to compare growth as we go along. At the moment I intend to leave mine in the greenhouse for a week or so, then transfer them out during the daytime for another week (or maybe more) to harden them off (the same as I do with veg) and then stick them in their final resting place in the field (surrounded by green chicken wire and slug pellets!) and leave them alone unless I really have to water them.

Oh yeah... watch out for slugs.  :-)

large.5eeb70e82a95b_Threeseeds.jpg

Golly. That came out a bit big.  :-(

Edited by MC2
Add photo

25 minutes ago, MC2 said:

If there's natural light there I don't think it matters if you move them today or tomorrow really. As you've discovered the growing leaves pop off the seed shells.

Anyway.... relax! You can hardly go wrong now...

They look about the same as my second batch (I think we are neck and neck in this). I transferred mine from the incubator to plants pots yesterday, planting them the right way up and just beneath the soil and stuck them in the greenhouse. Today they look just like yours (although the seed shells must have been left beneath the soil). It's going to be interesting to compare growth as we go along. I'm going to leave mine in the greenhouse for a week or so, then transfer them out during the daytime for another week (or maybe more) to harden them off (the same as I do with veg) and then stick them in their final resting place in the field (surrounded by green chicken wire and slug pellets!) and leave them alone unless I really have to water them.

I took a photo ready to add here but can't work our how to do it. Do I have to upload it to an image hosting site and then link it from here in my post? As I can't seem to find a way to upload it directly to this site.

BTW. Why are you growing CBD? Judging by this it's almost legal... but anyway, it looks no-one is likely to get done for growing it (think I might just hang some big CDB labels on my plants!)
https://www.medicpro.london/cbd-regulation-laws-uk/

They're not in natural light, i'm going to hold off for a little bit i've been doing some further reading i think everything is alright. 

Haha i know, i know. I tend to get confused with all conflicting information around on the web. 

Mine will just be staying in the greenhouse so yes you're right it will be interesting to compare, with the mad weather we're having right now i'm glad they're not outside right now they'd probably drown. 

You can upload images to the website under the create dropdown on the top right, I removed the exif data through an online site first just for extra safety. 

Erm mainly because i use it a fair bit day to day alongside my partner it really helps her anxiety issues and i'm getting sick of paying for it i suppose. I think labelling them CBD is probably a sound idea ha. 

12 minutes ago, Zilla12 said:

You can upload images to the website under the create dropdown on the top right, I removed the exif data through an online site first just for extra safety.

Thanks. I mist have been figuring it out as you replied as you've quoted my existing post and not my edited one (complete with photo of seedlings!)

I checked existing photos here for the metadata first. They don't seem to have any so I'm assuming the upload strips it out.. tho think I might check that now... yup, all stripped out. Phew...

Weather here (southern UK) so far been fine even though we have been forecast 80% of probability of rain and thunderstorms. In fact it's lovely and sunny now.  ;-)

Edited by MC2
  • Like 1

Have you soaked them cubes in any food? If not your plant will likely starve to death in about 24hr

3 hours ago, Richtofen,blackops said:

Have you soaked them cubes in any food? If not your plant will likely starve to death in about 24hr

The plant will grow using its own food for the first week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MC2 said:

Thanks. I mist have been figuring it out as you replied as you've quoted my existing post and not my edited one (complete with photo of seedlings!)

I checked existing photos here for the metadata first. They don't seem to have any so I'm assuming the upload strips it out.. tho think I might check that now... yup, all stripped out. Phew...

Weather here (southern UK) so far been fine even though we have been forecast 80% of probability of rain and thunderstorms. In fact it's lovely and sunny now.  ;-)

Ah i'm glad you sorted it out your seedlings looks very healthy. I'm hoping mine will be shut away enough to keep any slugs out but we shall see. 

Ah ok well thats reassuring to know, i wasn't sure so i just deleted it on the image anyway :)

Its been nothing but heavy rain and storms until about 2 hours hours ago here in the midlands, which has been great as i've discovered a window is leaking. 

I think i'm going to give the seedlings another 24 hours and then pot them up and place them in small pots with some light mix and place them on a south facing windowsill as my greenhouse isn't fully complete thanks to a delay on the glass companies emails ending up in my spam. Hopefully within a week or two i can transfer them into their final pots. 

Fingers crossed for both our grows and no bastard slugs. :yep:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arshlay said:

The plant will grow using its own food for the first week. 

Yeah i've read nothing about them starving after 24 hours without food :/ 

They're looking fine so far thankfully. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Yeah i've read nothing about them starving after 24 hours without food :/ 

They're looking fine so far thankfully. 

You are right. Just keep the potting medium sufficiently wet/damp.
BTW. I am a gardener and grow veg, plants, trees and stuff. For me this plant is little different to anything else I grow. Pretty much the same principles apply.
Slugs do have a nasty habit of getting into greenhouses (I suspect that some cheap potting medium might even include slug eggs) and in one night a slug can destroy a seedling. Once bigger they can't do this though. After having had slugs decimate my veg seedling I'd always use some slug pellets on seedlings before they get big enough to be not killed in one night by them (for this they need a decent leaf mass). It'd as likely never happen but if it does all your work can down the drain in one night.

Edited by MC2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MC2 said:

You are right. Just keep the potting medium sufficiently wet/damp.
BTW. I am a gardener and grow veg, plants, trees and stuff. For me this plant is little different to anything else I grow. Pretty much the same principles apply.
Slugs do have a nasty habit of getting into greenhouses (I suspect that some cheap potting medium might even include slug eggs) and in one night a slug can destroy a seedling. Once bigger they can't do this though. After having had slugs decimate my veg seedling I'd always use some slug pellets on seedlings before they get big enough to be not killed in one night by them (for this they need a decent leaf mass). It'd as likely never happen but if it does all your work can down the drain in one night.

Well having said that i'm going to the local garden centre for get some compost and perlite to go along with the vermiculite i already have then i plan to make a mix for my smaller pots i'm planning to rest them on a windowsill for a few days to get them strong (while i wait for the final greenhouse parts) i'm hoping the weather is good enough to keep them toasty, i don't have any lights yet unfortunately. I'll also be buying some slug pellets thanks to your advice. 

Speaking of which i think on my seedlings might be struggling a little. I went in to check them this morning and noticed the CBD had a bit of dirt resting on the shell that was dragging it down slightly. I've manage to knock the dirt off but the stem looks a lot weaker compared to the other two who look perfectly healthy. I've given them a mist spray just to keep them moist and hopefully it'll have a fight chance but does anyone have any suggestions just in case. 

large.5eecb89f7de87_Seeds2.jpglarge.5eecb8a0db15d_seeds3.jpg

Do you guys think i should be looking at getting the two taller ones in pots? 

large.5eee2b25185f1_Day4.jpg

Unfortunately i think the middle one isn't too well at all but i'll keep hoping it'll pull through. 

• Like 1