First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

Weather is beyond rubbish round here at the moment, getting so cold I’m having to put the house heating on for an hour just to keep the misses happy.

I’m a little worried about the plants the temps in the greenhouse today were barely over 20c and with it being cloudy and windy they’re not really getting optimum light. Looking at the forecast it appears this may be the case for the next week (hopefully it changes for the better) 

Should I be looking at a heating solution or do you reckon they’ll be ok with the lowish temps at the moment? 

• Like 1

This recent weather has been annoying to say the least. I run a old Dyson fan heater at night  to keep the temperature steady with its built in thermostat. It’s good for heating, air circulation and also doubled up to cool the greenhouse down on those really hot days. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AutoAberdeen said:

This recent weather has been annoying to say the least. I run a old Dyson fan heater at night  to keep the temperature steady with its built in thermostat. It’s good for heating, air circulation and also doubled up to cool the greenhouse down on those really hot days. 

Thanks 

Maybe I’ll see what I can grab on eBay as I suspect if this keeps up it won’t do the plants any good. 

So much for British summer... 

• Like 3

They need light. As soon as their above the soil they want light on them mate, a south facing windowsill is fine if you have no light. Slug pellets are really bad for the environment, try copper tape instead, much more eco friendly. That middle one doesn't look great to be honest, but give it a chance (and some light) and it might pull through.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Thanks 

Maybe I’ll see what I can grab on eBay as I suspect if this keeps up it won’t do the plants any good. 

So much for British summer... 

This all depends on the starins. I like to grow paradise seeds due to them being a dutch company so in a way they are accustomed to this weather. Also the temps should be OK as long as there no frost. Once the sun does eventually come out to play they'll soon bounce back. Also there's still plenty of time for them to recover. 

Hope all is well with you and yours. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Ignore that mate, I'm tripping :Spam_Icon:

Hahaha love it. I love a good old trip lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MindSoup said:

They need light. As soon as their above the soil they want light on them mate, a south facing windowsill is fine if you have no light. Slug pellets are really bad for the environment, try copper tape instead, much more eco friendly. That middle one doesn't look great to be honest, but give it a chance (and some light) and it might pull through.

5 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Ignore that mate, I'm tripping :Spam_Icon:

Haha this is excellent, hope it was a good trip ;) 

I will look for another alternative to slug pellets though, thanks! 

5 hours ago, Wappasmokes said:

This all depends on the starins. I like to grow paradise seeds due to them being a dutch company so in a way they are accustomed to this weather. Also the temps should be OK as long as there no frost. Once the sun does eventually come out to play they'll soon bounce back. Also there's still plenty of time for them to recover. 

Hope all is well with you and yours. 

Thanks for the advice, its mainly the wind at the moment the temps don't seem to be getting below anything that could create frost i'm keeping a very close eye on them. 

The stains are 2 Dinafem and one seedsman seed. I did read before that they were quite good outdoor so i'm fairly confident they'll be ok, thankfully my greenhouse build is fairly strong too and seems to be standing up well to the wind which is reassuring. 

This is them currently, i THINK they're looking quite well, the middle on the Candy Cream seems a bit small especially when you consider the seed to the right of it was planted 4 days after and its almost as big.

large.5f009a6d44bf5_Day12all3.jpg 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Zilla12 said:

I will look for another alternative to slug pellets though, thanks! 

Thanks for the advice, its mainly the wind at the moment the temps don't seem to be getting below anything that could create frost i'm keeping a very close eye on them. 

The stains are 2 Dinafem and one seedsman seed. I did read before that they were quite good outdoor so i'm fairly confident they'll be ok, thankfully my greenhouse build is fairly strong too and seems to be standing up well to the wind which is reassuring. 

This is them currently, i THINK they're looking quite well, the middle on the Candy Cream seems a bit small especially when you consider the seed to the right of it was planted 4 days after and its almost as big.

large.5f009a6d44bf5_Day12all3.jpg 

They are looking a lot more healthier soils seems pretty good to. With me I can't work with perlite but each of us growers are different and we all find what works best for us. 

Its all a learning curve for us. Its all about the long hall and staying at it then we get the best rewards. E.G really cheap medicine. 

The best advise I can give is to prevent not to cure. I said in my journal that its human interference that sods it all up. You will learn to read your plants and they will always reward you with the finest of smoke. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wappasmokes said:

They are looking a lot more healthier soils seems pretty good to. With me I can't work with perlite but each of us growers are different and we all find what works best for us. 

Its all a learning curve for us. Its all about the long hall and staying at it then we get the best rewards. E.G really cheap medicine. 

The best advise I can give is to prevent not to cure. I said in my journal that its human interference that sods it all up. You will learn to read your plants and they will always reward you with the finest of smoke. 

Soil is just all mix, from what i was reading it basically had everything i'd need which i suppose allows me not to really worry too much about that. 

Thats exactly what it is especially as i'm in no way someone with green fingers, but its rewarding checking and seeing they've grown can't wait for it to get even bigger. 

I'm trying not to do anything as much as possible, it seems to be the biggest advice people give and it makes sense. Gotta say i'm looking forward to that bit haha. 

1 hour ago, Zilla12 said:

Always mate haha, fuck knows why I was on here, but there you go. thought id got to the end of your thread so made a comment only to realise i wasn't even half way through. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Always mate haha, fuck knows why I was on here, but there you go. thought id got to the end of your thread so made a comment only to realise i wasn't even half way through. 

I thought as much. Made me laugh, ta for that! 

19 hours ago, MindSoup said:

This because whens we trippin we see more than the eye wants us lol. 

• Like 1

Evening folks. 

Having a minor panic here. So i hadn't watered the plants for almost a week and half mainly because of the lack of heat, the soil being still quite fine and dampish under the top layer of soil and my cheapo reader thing was still saying they were quite damp although it had dropped to about half way from fully wet. 

Either way as it'd be such a long while i thought i may as well give them a bit of water, not a huge amount just a bit of soaking. I went back an hour or so later to put some parsley i'm looking to try and grow in the greenhouse and i noticed they looked a little more droopy, i THINK unless my unexperienced mind is playing tricks on me. 

Have i over watered them or watered them when they didn't need it? i assume/hope they'll probably be ok especially as the forecast is supposed to be hotter over the weekend and following week. 

What do you guys think? 

large.5f08d4f6cd762_Day18CC.jpglarge.5f08d4fa5d467_Day18WW2.jpglarge.5f08d4f98c7e9_Day18WW.jpglarge.5f08d4f8aac3e_Day18CXXL.jpglarge.5f08d4f7d66d1_Day18CC2.jpg

Edited by Zilla12
  • Like 1