First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

Hi folks, 

Appreciate you guys have a lot of newbie questions, but honestly while researching, especially UK specific its actually quite overwhelming so I suppose I’m looking for some clear and concise answers/advice.

I’ve been wanting to give ago for a hobby for a while now and of course there’s hopefully a decent ending after. 

So I have a plan, if any of this is wrong or won’t work please let me know before investing time and effort. I don’t really have green fingers either. 

Grow location & Greenhouse

Firstly my location is south facing so plenty of sunlight and private enough for my not to get snooped on however I plan to in a mini greenhouse like this https://www.dobbies.com/timber-grozone-max-523292011  However I’m already building my own the same design but with the dimensions: 140cm high x 80cm wide x 70cm deep.

Just for extra safety I’m going to use frosted Polycarbonate glass 4mm thick.  I’m thinking this will hopefully be big enough for 2/3 plants? And will I still get a decent decent grow with the frosted glass I’m keeping that just for extra safety from prying eyes etc. 

Seeds

I did a little bit of research, and I’ve brought x3 Dinafem Seeds - Cheese XXL Auto Feminised Seeds and a CBD Critical Auto Feminised seed as I’ve been using that a lot lately and its been good for both me and my partner. 

My plan is to grow 2 Cheese XXL seeds and the CBD seeds, i take it I’ll have enough room in the house? 

Planting and pots

Heres where my headache is really starting, 

I’ve been reading conflicting things regarding what to plant the seeds in and the size, I’ve been looking at pots of around 30L, I’m thinking I JUST be able to squeeze 3 pots in the house, however seeing as I’ve not built it yet I could always make it a little wider if I have to use bigger pots. 

In terms of soil I’ve been looking at BioBizz 50L All-Mix Potting Soil Bag I suspect I’m going to have to get two bags. Now can I use that potting mix from start to finish without having to mess around with other soils or adding this or that? 

I’m planning to do the paper towel method to germinate and then whack them in the soil once sprouting, will this be adequate? I have read somewhere that you can just put them in the soil and then soak the soil but I suspect theres a risk of the seed not rooting? 

I think thats the about all the questions I have so far, I’m hoping to get the greenhouse built and the seedlings in there by next weekend and ill sure to share my results etc. 

I could be totally wrong with all this which is why I’m asking. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for the all the questions i’m asking I’ve noticed you get newbies round here all the time asking questions etc but I’m just totally confused and overwhelmed with all the info around.  

Z

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Hi folks, 

Appreciate you guys have a lot of newbie questions, but honestly while researching, especially UK specific its actually quite overwhelming so I suppose I’m looking for some clear and concise answers/advice.

I’ve been wanting to give ago for a hobby for a while now and of course there’s hopefully a decent ending after. 

So I have a plan, if any of this is wrong or won’t work please let me know before investing time and effort. I don’t really have green fingers either. 

Grow location & Greenhouse

Firstly my location is south facing so plenty of sunlight and private enough for my not to get snooped on however I plan to in a mini greenhouse like this https://www.dobbies.com/timber-grozone-max-523292011  However I’m already building my own the same design but with the dimensions: 140cm high x 80cm wide x 70cm deep.

Just for extra safety I’m going to use frosted Polycarbonate glass 4mm thick.  I’m thinking this will hopefully be big enough for 2/3 plants? And will I still get a decent decent grow with the frosted glass I’m keeping that just for extra safety from prying eyes etc. 

Seeds

I did a little bit of research, and I’ve brought x3 Dinafem Seeds - Cheese XXL Auto Feminised Seeds and a CBD Critical Auto Feminised seed as I’ve been using that a lot lately and its been good for both me and my partner. 

My plan is to grow 2 Cheese XXL seeds and the CBD seeds, i take it I’ll have enough room in the house? 

Planting and pots

Heres where my headache is really starting, 

I’ve been reading conflicting things regarding what to plant the seeds in and the size, I’ve been looking at pots of around 30L, I’m thinking I JUST be able to squeeze 3 pots in the house, however seeing as I’ve not built it yet I could always make it a little wider if I have to use bigger pots. 

In terms of soil I’ve been looking at BioBizz 50L All-Mix Potting Soil Bag I suspect I’m going to have to get two bags. Now can I use that potting mix from start to finish without having to mess around with other soils or adding this or that? 

I’m planning to do the paper towel method to germinate and then whack them in the soil once sprouting, will this be adequate? I have read somewhere that you can just put them in the soil and then soak the soil but I suspect theres a risk of the seed not rooting? 

I think thats the about all the questions I have so far, I’m hoping to get the greenhouse built and the seedlings in there by next weekend and ill sure to share my results etc. 

I could be totally wrong with all this which is why I’m asking. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for the all the questions i’m asking I’ve noticed you get newbies round here all the time asking questions etc but I’m just totally confused and overwhelmed with all the info around.  

Z

Hi

If you did everything you say above I reckon you’d probably do ok.

But if it helps I use 10 litre pots for autos and I’m always happy with the results so no need to go up to 30l if you’re worried about space.

Frosted glass should work fine

Paper towel is of course fine but I would start them off in a seedling specific compost mix with plenty of vermiculite and/or coco added to it. Plant seeds in small pots and then plant into final pots with stronger normal compost after a couple of weeks.

You should be able to fit 3 in there but it will be tight. 10 litre pots would probably help with this. I’ve just popped out to the garden to take a couple of pics and do some measuring to get your head around sizing. Below are three normal autos in 10 litre fabric pots. The tallest one is about 1 meter and will probably stretch another 20cm or so before it finishes.

large.IMG_10Jun2020at131501.jpg

If you are running cheese XXL in 30 litre pots under glass then expect it to be much bigger than these.

Next picture shows all three together as if in your proposed greenhouse. 

large.IMG_10Jun2020at131542.jpg

These 3 measure leaf tip to leaf tip about 70-80cm x 70-80cm (width x depth) but you will still get some leaves touching the side so you may want to extend your greenhouse.

You haven’t mentioned ventilation. This is most important. Be sure to incorporate into your design plenty of options to remove panels in hot weather and preferably a place where a small fan can be attached 

ha ha, makes me chuckle that I started out with a similar greenhouse to yours a few years back. Then built a bigger one and then over the winter I built this!

large.IMG_10Jun2020at133145.jpg

and now I building this in the poly tunnel for all year growing

large.IMG_10Jun2020at133100.jpg

It’s never enough so be careful, this hobby can get out of hand lol 

• Like 18

Hi mate - I'm about to grow some Cheese XXL Autos from Dinafem as my first grow.  For starting seeds Dinafem specifically recommend using Jiffy 7 plugs then plant into final pots if autos. 

I've no doubt the paper towel method would work but they go into the reasons Jiffy 7 is more optimal at the link below and as it's my first grow I'll be following their method.

https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/marijuana-seed-germination-cannabis/

• Like 2

Hi @BudJ,   good luck on your grow.    Try a few different methods on germinating and growing styles across the plants, ie.  watering, feeding, pruning, etc.   as this will advance your skill set and you will learn more.   Thats what i did and it worked for me.   

Paper towel , cotton pands, direct pot sowing and jiffy all work.   Some swear by their own methods, again try a few and see what suits you.   

All the best and get pics up along the way as this could help other diagnose issues.   

@Topdeck ,.  Hi   whats the dark coloured plant in the pic above of the 3 side by side ?     Looks stunning !  

• Like 3

Hey bud

i have the same greenhouse and tbh once your plants hit flower that thing is gunna be useless. Especially if you have more than 2. You could always remove the shelving and just keep them on the bottom rack but it’s still a bit narrow. 

I found it really helpful when they were small but even at the size mine are at now it’s nowhere near big enough, would be a proper fight for sunlight for sure. 

Like you say though if you’re doubling up then you might be ok. From memory the dinafem Cheese can get quite large (could be wrong).

Soil wise, the all mix is wicked, but most reviews say for early on it can be a bit too hot for the plants so be careful. Maybe do a light mix of some multipurpose, coco coir, and a couple of rooting additives (bonemeal, Mico’s etc) to get them going first before going to final pots with the all mix. 

@Topdeck is right, you can squish them in with smaller pots but from using that house personally, I think you’ll have a few issues with space and sun. The more space the better. Maybe run 2 in 1 and then use the other to do 1 and lst it. 

Moreover, keep it simple bud. Give yourself plenty of space, sunshine and keep your finger off the watering trigger so often and you’ll be fine and justly rewarded. 

Also if your seeds aren’t popping after a few days (or once popped and planted aren’t showing for another 4-5 days) get yourself some more. 

Best of luck with it mate :) look forward to seeing how you get on! 

large.612BD16E-74B3-4E3D-AF10-BAB712E74D6C.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Topdeck said:

ha ha, makes me chuckle that I started out with a similar greenhouse to yours a few years back. Then built a bigger one and then over the winter I built this!

Mate that looks quality. I’ve recently acquired more space in my garden and one of those tunnels would be great. 

Did it set you back much?

• Like 3

Just now, OldFord said:

Hi @BudJ,   good luck on your grow.    Try a few different methods on germinating and growing styles across the plants, ie.  watering, feeding, pruning, etc.   as this will advance your skill set and you will learn more.   Thats what i did and it worked for me.   

Paper towel , cotton pands, direct pot sowing and jiffy all work.   Some swear by their own methods, again try a few and see what suits you.   

All the best and get pics up along the way as this could help other diagnose issues.   

Thanks mate.  I've been waiting on my lights to arrive for what seems like years but it's been about 6 weeks.  In that time I've been experimenting with chillies and herbs, germinating in paper towel, direct in soil and jiffys.  To be honest they've all worked fine and I know they're not cannabis seeds but it's helped me realise there's not a correct way.  I'm just trying to give myself the best chance of having some nice smoke in 3 months time as I've gone from smoking weed daily to not having a smoke for 5 years so I'm really looking forward to some home grown, as you can imagine!  Completely agree about experimenting with different styles, best way to learn.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, GrowingViking said:

Mate that looks quality. I’ve recently acquired more space in my garden and one of those tunnels would be great. 

Did it set you back much?

Thanks mate. One like this would cost a minimum of £500 but mine’s made from left over crap and stuff I’ve found in skips e.g. the wood side supports are roof battens and the metal frame is from a tent. Only big cost was the plastic sheet which was approx £70. I reckon all-in it was about £150 

Edited by Topdeck
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, OldFord said:

@Topdeck ,.  Hi   whats the dark coloured plant in the pic above of the 3 side by side ?     Looks stunning !  

Nice one thanks, it is the same as the one in the other pic mate, Seedsman Pink Kush CBD Auto

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Topdeck said:

Hi

If you did everything you say above I reckon you’d probably do ok.

But if it helps I use 10 litre pots for autos and I’m always happy with the results so no need to go up to 30l if you’re worried about space.

Frosted glass should work fine

Paper towel is of course fine but I would start them off in a seedling specific compost mix with plenty of vermiculite and/or coco added to it. Plant seeds in small pots and then plant into final pots with stronger normal compost after a couple of weeks.

You should be able to fit 3 in there but it will be tight. 10 litre pots would probably help with this. I’ve just popped out to the garden to take a couple of pics and do some measuring to get your head around sizing. Below are three normal autos in 10 litre fabric pots. The tallest one is about 1 meter and will probably stretch another 20cm or so before it finishes.

large.IMG_10Jun2020at131501.jpg

If you are running cheese XXL in 30 litre pots under glass then expect it to be much bigger than these.

Next picture shows all three together as if in your proposed greenhouse. 

large.IMG_10Jun2020at131542.jpg

These 3 measure leaf tip to leaf tip about 70-80cm x 70-80cm (width x depth) but you will still get some leaves touching the side so you may want to extend your greenhouse.

You haven’t mentioned ventilation. This is most important. Be sure to incorporate into your design plenty of options to remove panels in hot weather and preferably a place where a small fan can be attached 

This has been a fantastic help, thank you. 

Perhaps i'll go with the 10L pots to start out and see what results i get, being first time i fully expect to make mistakes along the way but i suppose thats the only way to learn. 

In terms of ventilation i'm perhaps going to try and make some sliding vets around the side but i also plan to keep the green house open during the hotter days and just add some chicken wire in front of the pots to stop my cats from exploring. I should be able to make room for a fan especially now if i'm going to use smaller pots. 

Your greenhouse is amazing, I do have room for something like that but one step at a time ha. 

Again thanks for the info and the sizing I feel a little more confident now, i've almost finished my build i've just fit the back panel, nailed down, glued and added water sealant round the edges. Will order the frosted glass in the morning hopefully be with my after the weekend, gonna be fun cutting that. I'll whack some photos up once its built. 

9 hours ago, BudJ said:

Hi mate - I'm about to grow some Cheese XXL Autos from Dinafem as my first grow.  For starting seeds Dinafem specifically recommend using Jiffy 7 plugs then plant into final pots if autos. 

I've no doubt the paper towel method would work but they go into the reasons Jiffy 7 is more optimal at the link below and as it's my first grow I'll be following their method.

https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/marijuana-seed-germination-cannabis/

Very useful, thanks for this i will do some further reading before committing as the weather seems to have dropped anyway it gives me a tad more time. 

5 hours ago, GrowingViking said:

Hey bud

i have the same greenhouse and tbh once your plants hit flower that thing is gunna be useless. Especially if you have more than 2. You could always remove the shelving and just keep them on the bottom rack but it’s still a bit narrow. 

I found it really helpful when they were small but even at the size mine are at now it’s nowhere near big enough, would be a proper fight for sunlight for sure. 

Like you say though if you’re doubling up then you might be ok. From memory the dinafem Cheese can get quite large (could be wrong).

Soil wise, the all mix is wicked, but most reviews say for early on it can be a bit too hot for the plants so be careful. Maybe do a light mix of some multipurpose, coco coir, and a couple of rooting additives (bonemeal, Mico’s etc) to get them going first before going to final pots with the all mix. 

@Topdeck is right, you can squish them in with smaller pots but from using that house personally, I think you’ll have a few issues with space and sun. The more space the better. Maybe run 2 in 1 and then use the other to do 1 and lst it. 

Moreover, keep it simple bud. Give yourself plenty of space, sunshine and keep your finger off the watering trigger so often and you’ll be fine and justly rewarded. 

Also if your seeds aren’t popping after a few days (or once popped and planted aren’t showing for another 4-5 days) get yourself some more. 

Best of luck with it mate :) look forward to seeing how you get on! 

large.612BD16E-74B3-4E3D-AF10-BAB712E74D6C.jpeg

That's very handy to know, i'm not going to have any shelving in it either way, i may build something on bricks or whatever early on to get it closer to the light, if they get to big i can perhaps place one next to it and get away with it as i don't think any neighbours can see the area i'll be growing in. 

I added an extra 20 cm to the depth when i cut the wood up yesterday purely because i thought it looked too tight and narrow, its almost as wide as it is long. 

Thanks for the advice on the soil i'll be doing some further reading tomorrow as i'm going to start buying all the growing gear then. 

I've seen a lot of things about over watering i'm planning to keep a water diary as i expect the misses will want to get involved too and that could cause chaos. 

Thanks again 

• Like 4

Since you've practically got a square area don't you kinda need either 1 or 4 plants, oh it would bug me that I wouldn't be able to stop moving em round lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Richtofen,blackops said:

Since you've practically got a square area don't you kinda need either 1 or 4 plants, oh it would bug me that I wouldn't be able to stop moving em round lol

Haha don't tempt me, i feel like growing 3 at once is a big task let alone 4 :mellow:

• Like 1

So upon further reading thanks to all the sound advice from you guys my plan to get stared is as follows.

use Jiffy 7’s in a mini greenhouse next to a window, I’m going to invest in a 3 in 1 Ph, moisture and light tester thingy on amazon so I can monitor everything anyone have any experience with these? 

once the seedlings are through I’m going to transfer them to small pots with some (is this the right term?) soil. I’m braving a trip to Wilko tomorrow I’m looking at this, would this be acceptable? https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-horticulture-grade-vermiculite-compost-10l/p/0300453

ive ordered my All Mix and thermometer I’m going to head to the local garden centre to get my 10L fabric pots.

green house should be finished by next week so I may try and get germinating by Monday if I can get everything 

Am I missing anything? Only thing I really need an answer with is the compost id 

Cheers

Edited by Zilla12
  • Like 2

On 09/06/2020 at 9:40 PM, Zilla12 said:

I had two years of aborted attempts to grow grass, solely because my seeds did not germinate! I realised latterly that the airing cupboard where I germinated them was not hot enough, as unlike the airing cupboards of my youth the hot water cylinder was properly lagged and did not give out enough heat. So this year I used my son's hen egg incubator set to 28.5 degrees. Every single seed germinated within 36 hours. [Late tip: use distilled water on the kitchen paper as it is a pure as you get]

The only thing I'd add is make the greenhouse bigger than you think you need or, given success this year, you'll be wishing you'd made it larger by next year. :-)

Anyway, the best of luck to you!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MC2 said:

I had two years of aborted attempts to grow grass, solely because my seeds did not germinate! I realised latterly that the airing cupboard where I germinated them was not hot enough, as unlike the airing cupboards of my youth the hot water cylinder was properly lagged and did not give out enough heat. So this year I used my son's hen egg incubator set to 28.5 degrees. Every single seed germinated within 36 hours. [Late tip: use distilled water on the kitchen paper as it is a pure as you get]

The only thing I'd add is make the greenhouse bigger than you think you need or, given success this year, you'll be wishing you'd made it larger by next year. :-)

Anyway, the best of luck to you!

Thats a very interesting point about the heat, i've brought a thermometer so i will find the ideal location. I have a old house the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard is probably 30 years old so MAYBE that'll work if not i'll get a hot plate incubator. 

But many thanks for the tips, i suppose i will be wishing that but at the moment i'm just gonna see how i get on with what i've built :D

• Like 1