First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

On 31/08/2020 at 9:13 AM, MindSoup said:

Find lady birds and stick them on your plant. You can also buy predatory insects online.

I used life cycle by ecothrive in my soil this year, it has neem cake and has proven to really help keep the pests at bay. They also have great customer service.

I'll spend some time in my garden this afternoon looking for some friendlier wildlife then, thanks for the advice. I'm thinking my plants may need a little longer than anticipated but we'll see. 

Interesting, i'll look out for that for next time, i'm still not sure if i'm going to do an outdoor grow again i've recently made some closet space which might just fit a tent inside so i'm tempted to take things inside from now on if i can find a cost effective solution. I'll still be growing veg and fruit outside as this whole experiment has given me a bit of a growing bug. 

Remove any leaves that have RSM on them and dispose of them away from your plants.  At this stage with only 10 days to go, the plants will do better with the infested leaves removed.  As said already, predators need to be introduced earlier than in the last week of a grow.

Also look out for webbing and clumps of RMS.  Remove all of these as they are breeding machines.  There will be many more eggs on those leaves than the current number of RSM you can see at the moment and they will hatch continuously.

If you think the plants will go another 2-3 weeks, buy some Phytoseiulus Persimilis as soon as you can.  They can sometimes take 4-5 days to get delivered as are often harvested just once per week.  They can only help.

Definitely remove infested leaves though.  Good luck...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, inapond13 said:

Remove any leaves that have RSM on them and dispose of them away from your plants.  At this stage with only 10 days to go, the plants will do better with the infested leaves removed.  As said already, predators need to be introduced earlier than in the last week of a grow.

Also look out for webbing and clumps of RMS.  Remove all of these as they are breeding machines.  There will be many more eggs on those leaves than the current number of RSM you can see at the moment and they will hatch continuously.

If you think the plants will go another 2-3 weeks, buy some Phytoseiulus Persimilis as soon as you can.  They can sometimes take 4-5 days to get delivered as are often harvested just once per week.  They can only help.

Definitely remove infested leaves though.  Good luck...

Done. 

I've put them in the compost way way away from the plants. 

I gave them a through look over and honestly i couldn't find any obvious. Looking at the buds they may need a tad longer regardless so i'm hopeful the main plant can hold out until then, i've tried to be as thorough as possible anything that looks poorly is gone. 

I've got the clipper on hand so if i see anything suspicious its gone. Its all quite nerve wracking considering they're almost done i'd be gutted to mess them up now. 

Thanks for the advice.  

• Like 2

Funnily enough due to ongoing back problems ive just moved inside. I never thought I had the space but with the new led boards you can utilise a much smaller space @80085 did a brilliant diary with his qx75 from diy led uk. It inspired me to use my 33x55x75high space. I ended up getting a 110 watt board from invisible sun cos diyleduk was sold out, pair that with a ducto 100 and a fox hydro 100x150mm carbon filter all for under the price of an ounce and I'm happy to say it all seems to be going well. It will require some extensive training but I'm sure after a few cycles I'll have it all dialed in nicely.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Funnily enough due to ongoing back problems ive just moved inside. I never thought I had the space but with the new led boards you can utilise a much smaller space @80085 did a brilliant diary with his qx75 from diy led uk. It inspired me to use my 33x55x75high space. I ended up getting a 110 watt board from invisible sun cos diyleduk was sold out, pair that with a ducto 100 and a fox hydro 100x150mm carbon filter all for under the price of an ounce and I'm happy to say it all seems to be going well. It will require some extensive training but I'm sure after a few cycles I'll have it all dialed in nicely.

I've got a slightly bigger space but i agree with the comment above you should absolutely get a diary on the go i'd be interested to see how you do. 

I think i also would have less anxiety growing inside, i'm fairly secluded and theres only some elderly folk who can see my greenhouse and i doubt their eyes are good enough to figure what plants are in there if even they even care. The closest neighbours will probably get the smell but i suspect wont be too fussed but i don't really know them. But i guess the biggest worry is another neighbour (i live in an oddly shaped drive way and garden so i've lots of neighbours) is a ex copper, and a high up one too so much so he's semi-retired. I know his background isn't drugs and I get on with him fine but i just wonder if he found out his copper DNA would have him grass me up, i dunno. Theres also some pesky idiot flying. a drone over peoples houses with a 4k drone and posting the videos in a local facebook group, he's not come near me yet but i'm gonna lob apples at his drone if he comes over mine. 

But yes i think growing indoor and all year round might be the step forward... once i convince the misses that is. 

Another bloody thing going wrong, i take it this is bud rot? 

I'd already taken off a part that looked as if it was rotting or something but now this is in the main flower of the plant. 

I've read it spreads so naturally i'm quite worried i'm gonna get it in my other two plants.  I know you can't do a lot with it other than remove it so i'm thinking i may just have to scrap the rotting plant which is such a shame as i've come so far with it. Any other suggestions?

P.s. Please ignore the dirty fingernails :unsure:

large.5f51f7ce54f0a_Budrot.jpeg

• Like 1

So folks the weekend i had to make a do or die decisions. 

Upon further inspection i discovered all 3 of my plants were suffering with bud rot some in the main cola.  I think my greenhouse had ventilation issues i reckon, lessons learnt i suppose. 

So with that in mind i thought rather than letting them just rot i would harvest now and try and save whatever is clear of rot. 

I'll post some photos later of the 'final' plants before i trimmed them down, i think they needed another week or 2 if i'm honest. Bit gutted but it's all part of the learning process. 

• Like 2

I had to cut my outdoor lady about a month early cos she started to get rot, definitely the right decision to just cut it out. If you don't find the stuff potent enough you can make iso or something with it. I might do a bit of a diary, maybe more of a a summary at the end.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2020 at 9:56 AM, MindSoup said:

I had to cut my outdoor lady about a month early cos she started to get rot, definitely the right decision to just cut it out. If you don't find the stuff potent enough you can make iso or something with it. I might do a bit of a diary, maybe more of a a summary at the end.

It's a right bitch isn't it? I was so frustrated but i'm glad i did the right thing I think all 3 plants would have been done if i'd left it any longer, you live and you learn. I've got enough to last me a little while i'm not a huge user more recreational every now and then.

I've dried them out and trimmed them down, its not a massive amount but it'll do they're currently in jars curing for a little while. I've saved the trimmings to make some Canna-butter in the next couple of days when i get the time (big work deadline due). 

I think my plan is to move to an indoor grow, i have some reservations to do with smell etc but i'll be sure to grab a good filter etc. The green house at the moment is hosting some Pumpkins but i'm going to make some alterations over the window to allow better air flow and perhaps only grow one plant next year. 

I'm also toying with trying a guerrilla grow, during lockdown my partner and I visited a nearby but quite remote abanonded building surrounded by a good couple of miles of woodlands and fields etc, i'm thinking maybe late spring using a free seed i've got just finding a secluded location putting a sprout in there and seeing what happens, i'll be sure to do a dairy of some sort with that little experiment. 

You absolutely should send me a link when you do! 

6 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

It's a right bitch isn't it? I was so frustrated but i'm glad i did the right thing I think all 3 plants would have been done if i'd left it any longer, you live and you learn. I've got enough to last me a little while i'm not a huge user more recreational every now and then.

I've dried them out and trimmed them down, its not a massive amount but it'll do they're currently in jars curing for a little while. I've saved the trimmings to make some Canna-butter in the next couple of days when i get the time (big work deadline due). 

I think my plan is to move to an indoor grow, i have some reservations to do with smell etc but i'll be sure to grab a good filter etc. The green house at the moment is hosting some Pumpkins but i'm going to make some alterations over the window to allow better air flow and perhaps only grow one plant next year. 

I'm also toying with trying a guerrilla grow, during lockdown my partner and I visited a nearby but quite remote abanonded building surrounded by a good couple of miles of woodlands and fields etc, i'm thinking maybe late spring using a free seed i've got just finding a secluded location putting a sprout in there and seeing what happens, i'll be sure to do a dairy of some sort with that little experiment. 

You absolutely should send me a link when you do! 

Any smoke on any outdoor uk grow is a success in my eyes, so well done. I just had my first bowl as a tester and its the most satisfying feeling to smoke your own stuff. 

Guerilla growing is a brilliant way to go, but not for the faint of heart, put in the preperation, or prepare to fail. start planning and researching now and this time next year you could have some very sticky fingers. I've had some brilliant years and some woefull, this year being woefull on account of my back problems worsening and preventing me from putting in enough work. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Any smoke on any outdoor uk grow is a success in my eyes, so well done. I just had my first bowl as a tester and its the most satisfying feeling to smoke your own stuff. 

Guerilla growing is a brilliant way to go, but not for the faint of heart, put in the preperation, or prepare to fail. start planning and researching now and this time next year you could have some very sticky fingers. I've had some brilliant years and some woefull, this year being woefull on account of my back problems worsening and preventing me from putting in enough work. 

Well i think i've had some success, images posted below. 

And yeah i think i'm going to pay the area another visit, theres a main gated entrance which has residents either side, i think if i keep showing up and using that entrance (hopping the fence) there might be some suspicion, i also need to scout if any of the houses have CCTV. Theres also a woodland entrance with fences so i'll need to find a safe unsighted route in there quite like the idea of scouting for the best way in and out. Out of interest how many times would you visit the grow site and what would you take with you in terms of kit for the plant? 

I'm sorry to hear about your back, your indoor grow looks brilliant, as i said on the thread i've followed it and can't wait to see the results.  

Anyway heres the final results of my somewhat tainted grow all in mason jars ready for curing. 

large.5f61429e476c6_FinalResultCC.jpg

The Candy Cream was the youngest plant and sadly the most effected with bud rot, theres barely anything left of the poor thing which is a real shame because she was really starting to thicken up I reckon with a couple of weeks more and no rot she'd have been great. Free seed so i guess i can't complain. 

large.5f61429d6f69f_FinalGrowWW.jpg

The white widow XXL did better than i expected to be honest, i thought I think she could have done with a week or two longer but theres some thick buds on there or at least something i can make edibles with. 

large.5f61429b93da4_FinalGrowCxxl.jpg

The Cheese XXL was probably the best looking of the 3, the tallest and was getting quite a thick cola on her but sadly that suffered with a bit of rot, but she was had the most amber of the bunch alongside this beautiful albeit small nug... Please excuse my trimming abilities. 

large.5f61429aae002_FinalCxxlNug.jpg

So yeah i guess thats it. Its something and for a first go i've learnt a hell of a lot and cause the bug for growing not only weed but various other crops and plants, which is nice. 

I'll let you know how they smoke. 

Cheers Z 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good on ya mate. such a nice feeling to roll one up of your own smoke for the first time. Looks like it will do the job nicely, Keep at it and you'll be swimming in buds before you know it

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...