First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

6 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Do you guys think i should be looking at getting the two taller ones in pots? 

Unfortunately i think the middle one isn't too well at all but i'll keep hoping it'll pull through. 

They are looking for light. Dunno about the middle one but they are growing taller to reach toward the light... 

Get them some sun light. Ideally through glass (as direct sunlight, like it has been down here today at least, will scotch them). But when you do recognise that the medium will dry out much more quickly.

I'm not sure what you have them potted in now but it's time to put them in a decent pot, like the ones I have (see above) unless, unlike me, you are going to grow them in pots in which case put then in their final pots now and give them some light. They need light now.

Keep the soil well damp bit not sodden. Sodden means the roots cannot extract the goodness from the soil, and at the moment they are about to need to do that.

In a few days you can let the soil become drier. A very, very common cause of problems is over-watering. You can always tell if a plant needs water as their leaves will wilt. Then you can water them a bit and they'll be fine. Over watering will stop them growing and is much more likely to kill them.

Hope that helps.  :-) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC2 said:

They are looking for light. Dunno about the middle one but they are growing taller to reach toward the light... 

Get them some sun light. Ideally through glass (as direct sunlight, like it has been down here today at least, will scotch them). But when you do recognise that the medium will dry out much more quickly.

I'm not sure what you have them potted in now but it's time to put them in a decent pot, like the ones I have (see above) unless, unlike me, you are going to grow them in pots in which case put then in their final pots now and give them some light. They need light now.

Keep the soil well damp bit not sodden. Sodden means the roots cannot extract the goodness from the soil, and at the moment they are about to need to do that.

In a few days you can let the soil become drier. A very, very common cause of problems is over-watering. You can always tell if a plant needs water as their leaves will wilt. Then you can water them a bit and they'll be fine. Over watering will stop them growing and is much more likely to kill them.

Hope that helps.  :-) 

Thanks again you've been a great help, i'd been reading up after the post and i've realised they're looking for light. 

I was planning to pot them tomorrow morning either way but you've just confirmed this. I have their final pots but i've got my biobizz allmix i'm going to get them ready tonight get them wet and hopefully by morning they'll be nicely damp ready for my seedlings. Do you reckon i need to add anything else to the compost?

I've got a conservatory which will work for now and i've got a fan handy incase the temperature get too hot in there so i think i'm ok maybe?

I got some slug pellets as well for when they go outside.

Got them in pots this morning just before sunrise. Woke up to see some leafs :)

large.5eef5f65e9e0f_Day7CXL.jpglarge.5eef5f64459fa_Day7CC.jpg

I hope they're not too tall and will fall over? but as you can see we had a fatality, i'm afraid the CBD seed didn't make it the head fell off during transport there wasn't any roots either :( I've put another free seed in the germinate and it'll join the rest later. 

Anyway they're in their final pots, that were soaked last night but quite dry right now but i'm resisting the temptation to water. 

I'm a little concerned about the heat in my conservatory, monitoring it i'm getting up to 35c thats with a window and fan (i'm getting a better fan shortly) i've put bottle tops over the flowers to keep them from getting battered by the fan wind but i worry that it'll be even warmer inside the bottle i don't wanna burn these out. Humidity is quite low to around 40 to 50% fluctuating. 

I'm hopeful they'll be ok though. 

Cheers for everyones advice hopefully this can become more of a dairy rather than me asking for help :/ 

P.s. one terrible noob question, when you start your day counter do you start from the day you germinated them or the day they sprout? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Got them in pots this morning just before sunrise. Woke up to see some leafs :)

large.5eef5f65e9e0f_Day7CXL.jpglarge.5eef5f64459fa_Day7CC.jpg

I hope they're not too tall and will fall over? but as you can see we had a fatality, i'm afraid the CBD seed didn't make it the head fell off during transport there wasn't any roots either :( I've put another free seed in the germinate and it'll join the rest later. 

Anyway they're in their final pots, that were soaked last night but quite dry right now but i'm resisting the temptation to water. 

I'm a little concerned about the heat in my conservatory, monitoring it i'm getting up to 35c thats with a window and fan (i'm getting a better fan shortly) i've put bottle tops over the flowers to keep them from getting battered by the fan wind but i worry that it'll be even warmer inside the bottle i don't wanna burn these out. Humidity is quite low to around 40 to 50% fluctuating. 

I'm hopeful they'll be ok though. 

Cheers for everyones advice hopefully this can become more of a dairy rather than me asking for help :/ 

P.s. one terrible noob question, when you start your day counter do you start from the day you germinated them or the day they sprout? 

I normally count the days from when they establish and get their first set of leaves.    In all honesty i rarely keep track von days as the plants your guide as to when its cooked,  each & every plant will vary and simply use the breeders guidelines as a rough estimate,  when outdoors i normally add a month onto the guidelines.    Your temps seem a bit high at 35 but again the palnts should tell you when its too hot.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldFord said:

I normally count the days from when they establish and get their first set of leaves.    In all honesty i rarely keep track von days as the plants your guide as to when its cooked,  each & every plant will vary and simply use the breeders guidelines as a rough estimate,  when outdoors i normally add a month onto the guidelines.    Your temps seem a bit high at 35 but again the palnts should tell you when its too hot.    

Thanks for this, i will keep an eye on things i'm managing to stabilise it at around 27-29c and they'll be cooler once outside in the greenhouse. 

I'll read up on what to look for in the plants regarding heat and watering etc. 

• Like 1

So today the ladies had their first ever watering. I've been resisting the urge for the past few days despite the heat purely because i know over watering can be a common issue with beginner growers such as myself. I was checking the soil daily to see how moist it was under the top soil and decided today was probably around the right time as it was no longer really damp. 

I had read that you should ideally water with about half the amount the pot holds, so i'm in 15L pots so roughly 7L per pot, today i decided to go with just 7L between the two mainly because i didn't want to over do it and the plants are still very small. 

As you can see the Cheese XXL is looking very well, i'm currently keeping them outside but with bottles over the top and getting temps roughly around 29c i'm keeping them in the shade because today i super hot. I'm still waiting for the greenhouse glass to be cut, theres a shortage on the polycarbonate because of the virus, which makes sense i guess. They're being kept inside in the conservatory during the night. 

The Candy Cream however seems to have a purple stem, also the seed shell hasn't fallen off yet which i don't think is too much of an issue. I've read that some strains can have a purple stem but i'm not sure judging by photos if this strain is one, it could also be a deficiency of some sort? 

My other concern is when watering i was trying to to not hit the flowers with water, due to the bloody wind i managed to whack the Candy Cream a little causing it to lean quite a bit, i've pushed some dirt back round it to stabilise it and i don't think anything snapped but is there anything i can do to stop it from leaning so much? 

The Candy Cream is photos 3 & 4

large.5ef360a1cbac8_Day4sinceflower2pots.jpglarge.5ef360a47885f_Day4sinceflowerCclose.jpglarge.5ef360a66b10c_Day4sinceflowerCCClose.jpglarge.5ef360a8a3b20_Day4SinceflowerCCMed.jpg

• Like 3

They are looking good. They'll grow towards the light when seedlings. The plant will correct it's lean as it gets bigger. Another rule of thumb... they'll not need watering until the surface of the soil is dry... and even then they might not need it.  :-)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MC2 said:

They are looking good. They'll grow towards the light when seedlings. The plant will correct it's lean as it gets bigger. Another rule of thumb... they'll not need watering until the surface of the soil is dry... and even then they might not need it.  :-)

Excellent i didn't think they were looking too bad but being a total noob not only to growing this but gardening in general i think i tend to think i've messed up somewhere. 

Hope i can get them in the greenhouse by the end of the week my furlough ends on Monday so i'd rather be assured they're somewhere safe. 

I should get them in the greenhouse asap. Mine are one day older than yours but as I put them in the greenhouse as soon as they had germinated they have benefited from all this lovely sun.

This is how they look after having been in a greenhouse for 7 days

large.seedlings.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MC2 said:

I should get them in the greenhouse asap. Mine are one day older than yours but as I put them in the greenhouse as soon as they had germinated they have benefited from all this lovely sun.

This is how they look after having been in a greenhouse for 7 days

large.seedlings.jpg

My aim/hope is by the weekend, so fingers crossed i'll have some healthy looking plants like that soon :D 

• Like 1

Is this normal? 

My two eldest plans are looking very very droopy,  to a point where the flowers are touching the soil. Should i try and prop them up against some stick or something?

I've just watered them again so perhaps its something to do with that but i'm just a tad worried they're not looking the strongest especially before i move them outside. 

large.5ef77b1668c3d_Day6CC.jpeglarge.5ef77b0830a2f_Day6.jpeg

• Like 1

They need sun light to get strong. Do not keep adding water. It's the most common mistake. Add 5-10mm soil to top to help keep them upright for now. But if you don't add sun all is likely to be lost.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MC2 said:

They need sun light to get strong. Do not keep adding water. It's the most common mistake. Add 5-10mm soil to top to help keep them upright for now. But if you don't add sun all is likely to be lost.

Makes sense. 

Well my greenhouse is finally built so they can get outside in the morning as its pissing it down right now. 

I'll add some soil and get them out first thing in the morning, fingers crossed they'll be ok, they were dry and anything anyway so i think the watering was ok for now. 

One week update: After yesterdays issues i managed to get them in the greenhouse first thing (staying up till half 4 for sunrise) and propping the plants up with a little more soil which seems to have worked and both are looking alright right now, thanks for the advice @MC2 

Hopefully the weather is alright this week as its just been rain and strong winds all day round here, sadly the forecast isn't looking amazing for the week either, oh well greenhouse seems water-tight enough. Speaking of which i've got some reflective material in my workshop, would it be an idea to staple it to the back wall or would that create too much heat?  

The third plant is a free seed i got with my order a White Widow XXL Auto, potted on Weds if i remember correctly, it seems fairly healthy so far. 

Heres to less issues going forward.

large.5ef8df9cc7a36_Day7all3.jpg

Edited by Zilla12
  • Like 3

That's looking better! I've no idea about the reflective material. Too much sun (combined with watering) can scorch the leaves though.
BTW. You should only add soil to keep the plants upright when they are seedlings. Increasing the level of the soil when the plant is more mature can end up rotting the stem. It's common to add soil at the stage you did because almost invariable the seed has not been planted deeply enough and no sunlight causes them to grow tall and weak. You can use props when they are older (as I'm going to have to for my Laughing Buddha plants).

Mine are in pots outside now, hardening off (and under some netting to keep the bastard pigeons off). Probably another 7-10 days before I plant them out in the wood.

• Like 1