First ever attempt to grow

Zilla12

So I’ve just had a thorough look and I saw a small long bodied black thing on the underside of one of my plants.

anyone have any tips to counter this potential issue before it becomes a far bigger one?  

On 27/07/2020 at 9:13 PM, Zilla12 said:

Had a quick look don’t seem to see anything obvious but I’ll keep and eye, thanks for the advice 

You think you've got problems! This is my large-leaved AF Peyote Critical. Note the bleedin' holes.large.PeyoteCritical.Holes.Day107.jpg

I've no idea what it is... but from a cursory look around it might be some sort of bug or aphid. Something called Neem Oil or Diatomaceous earth might sort it out. I'm off to the gardening centre today.  :-(

Edited by MC2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MC2 said:

You think you've got problems! This is my large-leaved AF Peyote Critical. Note the bleedin' holes.large.PeyoteCritical.Holes.Day107.jpg

I've no idea what it is... but from a cursory look around it might be some sort of bug or aphid. Something called Neem Oil or Diatomaceous earth might sort it out. I'm off to the gardening centre today.  :-(

Oh boy that looks nasty, best of luck clearing them up hopefully your suggestions to me will help for you also. I'll be getting some in ASAP!! Besides the holes hows the grow going, are they looking good?

Because of the temps on Friday and the fact i had to go home from work early (wisdom tooth infection, nightmare) i had some time to actually spend with the plants checking them over, i also had to take them out my greenhouse as the temps were atrociously hot. Thankfully i haven't had any new holes since i removed the last little bug although i do think i might have a calcium issue as theres a few white spots popping up up on the leaves? 

Also i've noticed lower leaves turning yellow and dying, from what i've read this might be the plant using up the nutes from them and them dying off naturally, is this accurate or too early and could be the sign of something bigger? 

Either way as far as i can these ladies are fairly healthy, smell lovely and all appear to be flowering? 

large.5f27fc65b82f3_Day44All3.jpglarge.5f27fc6735020_Day44CC.jpglarge.5f27fc6896352_Day44CXXL.jpglarge.5f27fc6992435_Day44WW.jpg

• Like 2

Looking great! And so far ahead of the three poor Mighty Gold's I germinated at the same time (and that my wife inadvertently over-watered, almost killing them).
I posted photos and a bit of history yesterday:
http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/408645-first-time-growing-high-sativa-laughing-buddha-and-more/&page=2#comment-5398151

You'll have to forgive the text formatting. I couldn't work out how to get rid of it.

My two auto-flowering OGKush plants started flowering before I'd even got them out of the pots. Weird little things they are too, very short, very dense and really smelly. Yours seem to have started flowering a fair bit later. Remind me, what are they (af?)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MC2 said:

Looking great! And so far ahead of the three poor Mighty Gold's I germinated at the same time (and that my wife inadvertently over-watered, almost killing them).
I posted photos and a bit of history yesterday:
http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/408645-first-time-growing-high-sativa-laughing-buddha-and-more/&page=2#comment-5398151

You'll have to forgive the text formatting. I couldn't work out how to get rid of it.

My two auto-flowering OGKush plants started flowering before I'd even got them out of the pots. Weird little things they are too, very short, very dense and really smelly. Yours seem to have started flowering a fair bit later. Remind me, what are they (af?)

Oh boy seems like you've had a bit of a journey with yours. Especially with all the moving around etc. 

Well at least you have some flowering thats always good, i think i may have stunted mine slightly by not getting them in direct sunlight right away and my watering schedule has been pretty much weekly due to my fear of not over watering but i'm learning to read them better now and noticed some difference almost over night after my last water. 

They're all Auto's one Candy Cream (can't recall the seed supplier) one Cheese XXL - Dinafem and one White Widow - Dinafem. The White Widow was potted about a week later but appears to have almost caught up with the Candy Cream. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zilla12 said:

Oh boy seems like you've had a bit of a journey with yours. Especially with all the moving around etc. 

Well at least you have some flowering thats always good, i think i may have stunted mine slightly by not getting them in direct sunlight right away and my watering schedule has been pretty much weekly due to my fear of not over watering but i'm learning to read them better now and noticed some difference almost over night after my last water. 

Yes. Darling son decided to have party in wood. Little bugger. Never shown any interest before!

As they get bigger they need more water but when they are small it's easy to kill them with over-watering. My proper plants (read NOT auto-flowering) are now 1.2/1.3m tall and I water them a bit every two days. They love it and are currently shooting up. At current rate 2/3 weeks they might even be as tall as me (that's 1.8m btw). One thing I think I should have done is pinch out the heads when they were younger so I'd have a load more heads now and they'd not be so tall. The one I knocked the top off has been a lesson.

• Like 1

And I meant to say... the bottom leaves do go yellow and then dry. When they look a little yellow I lop them off and eat them. :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MC2 said:

And I meant to say... the bottom leaves do go yellow and then dry. When they look a little yellow I lop them off and eat them. :-)

Well now i'm gonna have to try that! as all 3 were doing it i suspected it was something totally normal. 

For me the whole trimming and pruning process is gonna be the scary one. 

I can't help with that but will be interested in the responses to your questions. All i know i that if you pinch the head(s) out when the plant is young (and before flowering) it will split and form two heads. By doing this you can keep them shorter and bushier and with more flowers. Its the same principle with hedges. :-)

• Like 1

Actually maybe I can help. This guide seems very good. I've just bit the bullet and flimmed on of my large sativa Laughing Buddhas. Basically I cut two thirds of the new central shoots off.... in about 6 locations.... the idea being that each single head will not turn inot four. Sounds good to me. When the results of the flimming are obvious I'll post a photo in my growing thread

As you may know I knocked all of the top off one of the plants when I transplanted it (head and main leaves below, possibly about 150mm's worth of plant at the time). The plant split into two so I now have what looks like two plants growing out of one.... so, twice as many heads, when they develop! (pic on growing thread).

• Like 2

Alright everyone, i hope all is well. 

Just having a mini panic are these leaves at the bottom here ok? they seem to be drying out or dying, is there something wrong with the plants? 

Besides that the plants are looking good and started to fatten up which is nice, i'll take some progress photos later on in the week. 

large.Yellow3.jpglarge.Yellow2.jpglarge.Yellow1.jpg

18 minutes ago, inapond13 said:

looks a bit dry on that meter to me...

They're due a watering today they only had their last one on Friday, do you think thats what could be causing the leaves dying like that? 

the plants are telling you that they need more water, adjust your scheldule to what the plants need.  it has been really hot and when plants get to a decent size and are actively growing, they can drink a lot.  water them today and probably again tomorrow as much of todays water may just run off as the soil is so dry.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, inapond13 said:

the plants are telling you that they need more water, adjust your scheldule to what the plants need.  it has been really hot and when plants get to a decent size and are actively growing, they can drink a lot.  water them today and probably again tomorrow as much of todays water may just run off as the soil is so dry.  

thanks for this. I’ve given them a thorough water today and I’ll be checking them tomorrow as well. I’ve been scared of the whole over watering them thingy but obviously I’ve not considered that if they’re bigger they need more water.

its all learning from the mistakes. Thanks for the advice it’s much appreciated 

• Like 2