Pi grow room monitor/control

Gsp1ce

On 5/5/2020 at 1:11 AM, Gsp1ce said:

Have just finished building a raspberry pi based grow room controller if anyone is interested :) 

Was fairly cheap and is set up to monitor Temp/Humidity and Water level...it then switches intake fan or heater to maintain chosen temp.

Decided not to switch grow light via pi just now as i wanna test the system for reliability..but yup can do LEDs or HPS(via contactor).

Its been in service two days so far and is working sweet.

Im happy to help anyone doing a similar thing..can modify for any setup :)

PH and EC monitor to follow.....

Temp/Hum sensor - DHT22 

Water level sensor - Ultrasonic range finder

Fan/heater switching - 4 gang 230v 10a relay board

Node-Red automation software. 

Pi 3+

large.IMG_20200504_171025.jpg

Have just finished building a raspberry pi based grow room controller if anyone is interested :) 

Just a tad!! 

This might be just what I need.

Could a pi or aurdino board with sheilds/connections be used to control a fan controller? 1.5 amp.

Not turn it on and off, but that would work.

Id hope to control voltage to fan

and sync that with humidity and temps.

And monitor it all remotely.

And be able to tweak settings remotely.

I did google it, but if youve already done it. .

I just wanted to turn fan down just before lights out and run it low for 11 hours, then come back on for just after lights on. Possible?

Also, id monitor pot temps, room temps etc as you have. And a camera, why not.

Its a beautiful thing youve created!

Nice one!!

All the best,

Fry.

• Like 3

On 11/05/2020 at 8:30 PM, Giventofry said:

Just a tad!! 

This might be just what I need.

Could a pi or aurdino board with sheilds/connections be used to control a fan controller? 1.5 amp.

Not turn it on and off, but that would work.

Id hope to control voltage to fan

and sync that with humidity and temps.

And monitor it all remotely.

And be able to tweak settings remotely.

I did google it, but if youve already done it. .

I just wanted to turn fan down just before lights out and run it low for 11 hours, then come back on for just after lights on. Possible?

Also, id monitor pot temps, room temps etc as you have. And a camera, why not.

Its a beautiful thing youve created!

Nice one!!

All the best,

Fry.

Cheers man..appreciate it...sounds like you want a pwm fan controller of sorts. Pi/arduino can easily put out a pwm signal. Although thinkin back to my college days there probably a low tech hack that out there that would limit fan speed on demand..

Pi and node-red automation software is prob the way forward though :) although a couple of the guys on this thread @highcontrast and @KayDog are lookin into 'Home assistant' software which also runs on pi..and maybe a bit slicker...dunno.

You can download node-red for free..i have a copy on the pi and also a copy on my laptop so i can fud around with the software 'offline'. would recommend it :) 

Im by no means a coder and have pretty much copied and pasted bits of other peoples projects to get this far.

Gives a shout if you get node-red installed and i'll punt you a working 'flow' (system) that you can check out/play with and get yer head around it a bit :)

Cheers for now fella

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gsp1ce said:

Cheers man..appreciate it...sounds like you want a pwm fan controller of sorts. Pi/arduino can easily put out a pwm signal. Although thinkin back to my college days there probably a low tech hack that out there that would limit fan speed on demand..

Pi and node-red automation software is prob the way forward though :) although a couple of the guys on this thread @highcontrast and @KayDog are lookin into 'Home assistant' software which also runs on pi..and maybe a bit slicker...dunno.

You can download node-red for free..i have a copy on the pi and also a copy on my laptop so i can fud around with the software 'offline'. would recommend it :) 

Im by no means a coder and have pretty much copied and pasted bits of other peoples projects to get this far.

Gives a shout if you get node-red installed and i'll punt you a working 'flow' (system) that you can check out/play with and get yer head around it a bit :)

Cheers for now fella

@Gsp1ce

You blooming legend!!

"Pwm" was the phrase I was missing!

Now I know what to look for, might be a bit easier!!

I knew Id be able to set fan speeds, they do it in enough factories etc.

Installed node red to have a look.

If youve (Ive) done flowcharts, html, or C+ so itn not roo bad to programme.

Now for the daft ish questions!

The new Pi's seem a better spec than aurduino boards, would you agree?

Pi seem better intergtrated to new kit for it too. 

The camera Noir uses i.r during dark time, will this affect flowering?

Im happy to use normal pi camera,  but love a bit of tech!

So many thanks for the offer of help!

Thats pretty amazing.

Just looking at all the "bits " required.

All the very best,

Fry.

• Like 3

Arduino boards are not sbc (single board computers). Ards are used for controlling stuff and passing data to the sbc - but there's plenty of sensors etc motor's etc that can be controlled directly by sbc's like the raspberry pi 

It's poss that the infra red leads might interfere with flowering but I don't think so. 

I've bumped into an old acquaintance who's into programming so I might be able to get a wiggle on - as soon as I can get the parts. 

I've noticed some sensors are extremely specific in how they're connected - ie putting extension / flyleads on can cause reading errors. 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, KayDog said:

I've noticed some sensors are extremely specific in how they're connected - ie putting extension / flyleads on can cause reading errors. 

i kept getting funny readings with anything but a 10k resistor for the dht22 sensor. 

@Gsp1ce  i got a 12v 4 channel relay today. hooked it up, got a red light, tried running some python code i wrote from the net but couldn't get the channel to close, any tips on this? for now i just wanted to see it work, i have some 12v pc fans i wanted to see if i could control them through the dashboard. i do have a 5v relay ordered too but i figured i would need the 12v as the fans are 12v. 

• Like 3

Is that 12v to trip the relay over - AFAIK the RPi can deliver 5v to trip a 5v relay? 

The 12v you need for your fan is supplied by its own voltage - the relay is just a switch. 

I'm just working off memory here.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KayDog said:

Arduino boards are not sbc (single board computers). Ards are used for controlling stuff and passing data to the sbc - but there's plenty of sensors etc motor's etc that can be controlled directly by sbc's like the raspberry pi 

It's poss that the infra red leads might interfere with flowering but I don't think so. 

I've bumped into an old acquaintance who's into programming so I might be able to get a wiggle on - as soon as I can get the parts. 

@KayDog

Many thanks for your input!

Ahhhh, ok. Rasberry pi it is then.

I had a feeling IR would mess up flowering. I.r is still light, just that we can't see it. Probably!! Ill get the normal camera then

I think alot of places are waiting for stock of pi and related paraphernalia.

And, that was one of my new questions,

All the sensors have very short leads, are we happy to put pi in the tent then?

Im going to need a lot of ribbon connectors!!

I noticed the amazing use of Sainsbury's flip top container, are all the wires on grommets to make it waterproof?

Ill be following with great interest!

All the best everybody!!

Fry.

Edited by Giventofry
Spellimg
  • Like 2

Yes, I love the clip-n-click boxes, too. I'll be using the same for sure. 

Yep, I plan to put the hardware first inasmuch what needs to be in the tent will be. However, any screens won't be in the tent. I'm happy to poke a hole/use a grommet to fish the monitor wire to the outside of the tent. ;)

I embarrassed myself with trying to get a pi zero and was politely and professionally told to wait like everybody else! Lol! God loves a trier! 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 2

SOMEONE LOAN ME A PI ZERO, PLEASE! 

ARRGH! 

(sorry, admin!) 

Edited by KayDog

1 hour ago, Giventofry said:

@Gsp1ce

You blooming legend!!

"Pwm" was the phrase I was missing!

Now I know what to look for, might be a bit easier!!

I knew Id be able to set fan speeds, they do it in enough factories etc.

Installed node red to have a look.

If youve (Ive) done flowcharts, html, or C+ so itn not roo bad to programme.

Now for the daft ish questions!

The new Pi's seem a better spec than aurduino boards, would you agree?

Pi seem better intergtrated to new kit for it too. 

The camera Noir uses i.r during dark time, will this affect flowering?

Im happy to use normal pi camera,  but love a bit of tech!

So many thanks for the offer of help!

Thats pretty amazing.

Just looking at all the "bits " required.

All the very best,

Fry.

Pulse width modulation...same kinda thing that R/C kit uses..

Think @KayDog answered most of your questions :) thanks man...uk420 is a good place 

As far as pi placement..im just now building a new box with sockets/bells/whistles for everything so it can be installed outside the g room.

will install touchscreen on a nearby wall..had most bits, just waiting on modbus power monitor and some bits/bobs...

Its great fun..got the metal munching done and test fitted most of the gear..

cheers dude

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gsp1ce said:

Pulse width modulation...same kinda thing that R/C kit uses..

Think @KayDog answered most of your questions :) thanks man...uk420 is a good place 

As far as pi placement..im just now building a new box with sockets/bells/whistles for everything so it can be installed outside the g room.

will install touchscreen on a nearby wall..had most bits, just waiting on modbus power monitor and some bits/bobs...

Its great fun..got the metal munching done and test fitted most of the gear..

cheers dude

Yes,lots of help from @Kaydog!!

So youll have a pi, near the room talking measurements etc, then a second "box" with screen. This is exactly what i need to do with my cellar grow room!!

Would love to see any flow or code you have, just to have a play and gain some understanding ( i hope)

You both have done hardware first, then programme it. Cool.

Would also be useful to see a parts list from you both.

Some components are subtly different, for no good reason

I am so cheeky!!

I wasn't sure about uk420 after my first posts, but there are some reallynice people on here.

Thank you!

And i forgot to say,

Happy growing!!

Fry

• Like 2

large.IMG_20200512_155952.jpglarge.IMG_20200512_160007.jpg

Mk2 controller in progress..To any AMX programmers out there....im sorry for what ive done to it... :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KayDog said:

Is that 12v to trip the relay over - AFAIK the RPi can deliver 5v to trip a 5v relay? 

The 12v you need for your fan is supplied by its own voltage - the relay is just a switch. 

I'm just working off memory here.... 

it does state its for the pi, i watched a vid that shows you connect a 5v and 3v3, i was convinced i was frying the board today but it was fine, then i run some code and it switched off and i aint been able to get the relay switch back on since lol

Edited by highcontrast
  • Like 4