Pi grow room monitor/control

Gsp1ce

4 minutes ago, KayDog said:

I'm liking home assistant.... 

It's a choice between that, node+red and python..... 

I think you can link node red into home assistant, i have home assistant installed on a separate sd card so i could have a play without fear of fucking everything I've done so far.

• Like 3

Hi Gsp1ce,

I have been following this thread and to be honest, 95% of it has flown right over my head, but, the 5% has got me hooked and after watching some vids, I have just ordered a pi4.

Obviously I need to accumulate a lot more equipment, that will take a while so expect this to be a long long thread over the next year or so.

I might even get a 2nd pi4 to control my tropical aquariums.

thanks for the inspiration:cheers: 

• Like 5

@thatman get yourself a breaboard fun kit to go along with that pi. Helped no end to have a visual kit infront of me. I got the cheaper one for under a score, should come with a breaboard led's,jumper cable, resistors etc etc. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

@thatman get yourself a breaboard fun kit to go along with that pi. Helped no end to have a visual kit infront of me. I got the cheaper one for under a score, should come with a breaboard led's,jumper cable, resistors etc etc. 

Is the breadboard sold specific to pi4?

7 minutes ago, thatman said:

breadboards are generic, its basicly a pin board that saves a bunch of soldering :yep:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thatman said:

just been looking, most are just bigger multiples of the same components, all seem to be made in china, so does it matter what kit I buy?

Just now, thatman said:

just been looking, most are just bigger multiples of the same components, all seem to be made in china, so does it matter what kit I buy?

wont matter at all, i got the elegoo kit for 15.99. T

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KayDog said:

Get your boy to do the programming! :yep:

Well hes 12 now i always wondered what the right age would be to get him to help........(only kidding)

It would be nice to have a spare set of hands during trim up though !

• Like 3

Ask your boy/his ICT teacher if they do sbc programming - lots of schools use the R Pi - a carefully designed project could get him a decent mark for home/coursework....? 

• Like 2

I reckon i cracked the history graph displaying a decent amount of data,maybe even the full 24 hours. I added a delay function node to limit the signal to the graph for once a minute, ticked the box to bin all other messages and gave them their own tab and configured my chart as shown in pic.

large.5eb8e9bdd1664_temphistory.PNG

large.5eb8e9e06fe17_chartlimiter.PNG

large.5eb8ea0884b68_historychart.PNG

Now i would like some email notifications, I want an email if my temps reach over 29.

Edited by highcontrast
  • Like 3

highcontrast, 

Well impressed, I will be happy if I am halfway to the standard you have achieved.

Eventually, I would like a fully automated system like Gsp1ce, i think that might be some time yet, maybe a couple of years.

I haven't even got the start up kit yet, and I am making plans like a Bond villain,:book:.

This will be me after 6 months of trying:wallbash:

• Like 2

@thatman Your be fine, we can guide you through this. I wrote some notes along the way for reference when i inevitability fuck things up as my memory's awful so no chance i am remembering everything i have done last week.  I started with a pi and the small fun kit, a dht22 sensor and a nightcam/ pi camera. I knew very little about the pi before hand, i had only logged in and opened mine craft for the kids prior.

I can share my notes on getting a couple of led's to connect and attach and also be controllable from your dashboard. Once you have seen and got your head around that the sensor and cameras are easy as pie to connect and display. Give us a shout when you have some parts in front of you ready and i will sling you some notes on a my quick setup guide :yep: 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, highcontrast said:

@thatman Your be fine, we can guide you through this. I wrote some notes along the way for reference when i inevitability fuck things up as my memory's awful so no chance i am remembering everything i have done last week.  I started with a pi and the small fun kit, a dht22 sensor and a nightcam/ pi camera. I knew very little about the pi before hand, i had only logged in and opened mine craft for the kids prior.

I can share my notes on getting a couple of led's to connect and attach and also be controllable from your dashboard. Once you have seen and got your head around that the sensor and cameras are easy as pie to connect and display. Give us a shout when you have some parts in front of you ready and i will sling you some notes on a my quick setup guide :yep: 

I was depending on that,:cheers:, If it wasn't for people like you, I wouldn't even be having a go.

• Like 3

I second that. 

Once the parts I want/need are in stock, I'll be joining in. 

I had an email from 2 of the pi suppliers saying they 'hope' stock will return to normal after lockdown. 

• Like 3

Email notification all sorted, This was a must for me, my eyes are to wonky to explain right now how i did it but i have made notes :yep: 

large.5eb99533d8c99_emailnode.PNG

• Like 2