Pi grow room monitor/control

Gsp1ce

2 minutes ago, Gsp1ce said:

wicked :) well done dude. be careful with the graphs though! all that data logging will eventually slow down PI/node-red..I found out the hard way!

Found limiting the chart to 250 points cured it but sucked cos you'd only get the last few hours! have seen flows by others for saving graph data to file and other clever stuff..will eventually have a fud around with that.

i just want the last 24hrs at least without it glitchin stuff out..so im workin on a 'limiter/smoother' for chart data so it only logs a point every 20mins or so..dont want to slow the sample rate of the sensor down to much..think ive got it 10-15sec intervals.

What type of camera cable you needin? Kilner jars are sound...and thats the best kind you got there bro :)

2 hours ago, highcontrast said:

Got the camera linked in now,pretty straight forward. Not sure how I am going to mount it inside  but my extended cable ain't due till the end of june so i got time to figure that out. 

large.5.PNG

large.5eb728112e187_Screenshot2020-05-09at22_43_29.png

• Like 2

Been looking at different temp/humid sensors..found this https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/products/environmental-sensors/humidity-sensors-bme280/

Be a little more involved to set up as it uses a connection called IC2 (4 wire).

The bme280 is the best hobby grade one out there 'they say' and can have multiple units on the same connection.

Made by bosch and cheap £5-6 

They dht22 is doin a fine job so far but this one is shiny :) and measures pressure too

• Like 1

Yeah I just lost an hour trying to get them graphs to display 24 hours funny enough, Its a proper time muncher. Their is so much to do lol. The audio cable to extend  suggestion was a win too, I found an old RCA to 3.5 cable i utilised :yep:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gsp1ce said:

What type of camera cable you needin? Kilner jars are sound...and thats the best kind you got there bro :)

I ordered a 40inch flex ribbon, will need to make a little holder too somehow, the camera i have has no mounts it appears.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

I ordered a 40inch flex ribbon, will need to make a little holder too somehow, the camera i have has no mounts it appears.

got the same 40" stoopid ribbon cable rammed through the door gap..what a shit cable..and been meaning try and fit pi camera inside and old fpv cam case..which will require bodging..

Although my pal has a decent 3d printer and has done a few things for me that ive designed in Fusion360..which is another brilliant piece of software and free for personal use...would be the answer.

Right...im on it..ill boot up fusion tomorrow and get the calipers out..then see how much ive forgotten about fusion360! :)  

Or...just rob one of thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1718628:)

Edited by Gsp1ce
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

Yeah I just lost an hour trying to get them graphs to display 24 hours funny enough, Its a proper time muncher. Their is so much to do lol. The audio cable to extend  suggestion was a win too, I found an old RCA to 3.5 cable i utilised :yep:

Sweet every RCA cut off is makin the world a better place in my book :) have a look around fleabay for 'xlr' connectors...plugs and chassis sockets..but dont pay a lot for them..even old mic or dmx cables that you can butcher..then some sort of enclosure...dude ive got plans :) 

Took me a while to understand how the node red graphs work too...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, highcontrast said:

Knew there had to be a solution to ribbon cable https://www.tindie.com/products/freto/pi-camera-hdmi-cable-extension/ just gotta find somewhere to get it..and will see if my buddy will print cases.

• Like 2

extension cable ordered, managed to display pi cpu and mem stats in my dashboard too :yinyang:

large_11.PNGlarge_10.PNG

• Like 3

Could you monitor the fan speed ? if so what would you use ? Something that measures output current or voltage?

I used to operate a scada system in an old job, id love a bit of this for my setup !

Top work chaps !!

• Like 2

I'm trying to get a pi zero asap.... Most out of stock - one cunt selling his 2nd hand for 3x the price of new.... Cunt. 

@LA LUNA

There's a wind speed device (not anemoter) for inline fans but iirc seriously expensive. There are more low grade hacks. 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, KayDog said:

I'm trying to get a pi zero asap.... Most out of stock

@LA LUNA

There's a wind speed device (not anemoter) for inline fans but iirc seriously expensive. There are more low grade hacks. 

I was thinking more motor speed, but wind speed would be good too, or both you could check carbon filter efficiency over time !

My boy got a pi 4 for christmas.... i wonder if he would notice it was gone ?

Yea i should imagine loads of people are getting stuck in to them with the lockdown.

Im gonna read the thread fully tonight it looks an intresting read !!

• Like 3

Get your boy to do the programming! :yep:

Iirc the pc fans have 3 leads, 2 for power and 3rd for fan rpm. Not sure how to read the data off that tho. Must be around on the wonderful interweb... 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, LA LUNA said:

My boy got a pi 4 for christmas.... i wonder if he would notice it was gone ?

do it buddy, I got mine 1 for lockdown, they showed little interest so that is why i ended up here. It would of lived in a draw forever otherwise

I spent some time going through pimoroni's sensors, the lux ones are interesting,not sure how and what i would use them for tho. I have spent way to much time fetling with the dashboard. Ive now got it set with a hidden button to display a live photo lol 

@KayDog just seen em on amzon for 25, not sure if thats a good price or not

• Like 3

1 minute ago, highcontrast said:

do it buddy, I got mine 1 for lockdown, they showed little interest so that is why i ended up here. It would of lived in a draw forever otherwise

I spent some time going through pimoroni's sensors, the lux ones are interesting,not sure how and what i would use them for tho. I have spent way to much time fetling with the dashboard. Ive now got it set with a hidden button to display a live photo lol 

@KayDog just seen em on amzon for 25, not sure if thats a good price or not

£13 for brand new. That and I have a full set waiting for me but I can't get to it cos of lockdown. I'm chomping at the bit! 

I'm liking home assistant.... 

It's a choice between that, node+red and python..... 

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 2