Pi grow room monitor/control

Gsp1ce

I hooked up 3 dht sensors today, all 3 powered from 1 set of pins from the pi. (3 different GPIO's obviously) is that the thing to do?.

I don't bother with a monitor, i have the dashboard setup on my phone with an email warning for low/high temps and clickable live picture too.

One thing i learnt today was if your having problems in node red then you really need to clear your browser cache :wallbash:   :yep:.  

large_d1.PNGlarge_d3.PNG

Anyone having issues with node red, hit me up :yep::yinyang:

• Like 7

Well done on the cache issue. 

That's going to save huge time and frustration. 

Kudos, bud! ;)

• Like 1

@highcontrast

That is amazing!

Even better, its on your phone!

Can you access remotely then?

Not necessarily on your home wifi?

That would save me so many unnecessary journeys to my cellar.

I doth my cap to you Sir, or Madam!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Giventofry said:

Can you access remotely then?

I'm sure i read you can, but it needs extra securities setup . To be fair it's rare i leave the house these days so not something i will probably set-up. The email notifications work a treat so i do have that back-up warning in place.  

• Like 3

Loving the progress you guys have made! I swear I spent the best part of a fortnight coding mine and it's still not how I want it, for sure going to be looking into node-red! 

Can anyone take some pics of their wiring? I felt like I had a few issues with mine and DHT sensors giving off bad readings and ended up using more DS18B20 sensors as they just seemed to work without issues. 

Love the email notifications, that something I wanted to add to mine but never got round to, esp for a low tank warning! Having the heater and the mixing pump turn off automatically when the level is below X would be ace. Are you guys controlling relays etc straight from the Pi itself or integrating WiFi plugs etc?

Access from the internet is possible and can be safe by making a VPN on your router that your phone connects to. You COULD forward ports on your router but then the website is exposed to the internet for anyone to find, setting a VPN on the router and then connecting to that on your phone makes it like your phone/laptop etc is on the home network. Having the website on use HTTPS as well would be another step towards securing the traffic.

Wondering how easily all this can be incorporated into Home Assistant... That would give easy access to WiFi plugs, extra sensors and would be behind a login screen as well.

EDIT: Also, how are you guys saving your readings? I'm currently saving mine to SQLite DB so I can look back at past readings, although I never got the 'date selection' working. Would be good to be able to look back over old data as it helps me remember when things happened. Also, how easy is it to an input box on the screen? Wanted one of those to select the hours the light is on so the cam only takes pics during lights on and not lights off, makes making the time lapse videos easier. I mean an illuminance sensor would be a good way of doing that thinking about it... there is a Aquara motion detector that also has one built in... Using that it could detect when their is movement so it could record when someone has been in the room AND detect when the light goes on/off which could trigger the cam to take pics every x mins... 

I REALLLLLLY don't have the time on my hands to fall down this rabbit hole at the moment.... :chains:

Edit 2: Just to add some more timelapse gifs, hopefully to inspire you guys to do the same! Keeping the camera in the same place is key to a good video though.

large.5dca04570a5d5_image(1).gif

large.5da8f592d4691_La(10).gif

Edited by 3potheads
Adding info
  • Like 4

@3potheads

I understand and I'm as keen as you for the opportunities and suggestions you make. 

However, in my train of thought, however many bells and whistles I add on, I'm keen to keep the tech as low key as poss to reduce errors and increase 'redundancy'. 

So for things like time-lapse photos, I think I'd be keen to have that as a separate entity - reducing the workload on the RPi and current etc - because monitoring and changing the nutes and environment is critical while a pretty picture is secondary. 

I don't have a router - and quite a few people I know are the same. On the basis of KISS, I'm trying to keep the solution as tight and small as possible while keeping many of the features you suggest. 

@Giventofry

A mate uses a video baby monitor for his cellar grow. I know it's not everything but it's a layer of comfort. 

Atb ;)

Edited by KayDog
To read easier
  • Like 2

I can see @highcontrast upload his piccies before his posting! I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Hurry up, highcontrast!  ;)

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 1

Wiring you need that 10k resistor between the 5v and signal.

large.5ebce8fcaa9d1_dht22sensor.PNG

After installing the adafruit library  ( sudo pip3 install Adafruit_DHT )

I run this code to test but note i set the DHT_PIN = to the GPIO pin i am using not the physical pin :yep:

large.5ebce901d9938_dht22code.PNG

Node red its different, After installing this module, you change the node to physical pin :yep:

large.nodered1.PNGlarge.5ebce91313a35_nodered2.PNG

DHT11 you just change the 22 in the code to 11 and in node red you use the same node labelled dht22 but you get a drop down option for sensor model and can rename the topic.

large.nodereddht11.PNG

For email notification you need to install the node_red_contribe_excursions node from the palette manager,  you should now have a red excursion node (found under function), drag it across,double click and rename to temp warnings and set your hi's and low's.

large.5ebcef51e6ad8_tempwarning.PNG

Now copy one of your chart limiter nodes (highlight ctrl+c) and ctr+v to paste, rename it to msg limiter (its going to limit the emails to 1 an hour for me if triggered) dot the box to lose all other msg's.

large.5ebcef62f2e11_msglimiter.PNG

Now your email node, go to manage palette and search for an email node to install. You should then have a social section on the left.

I used a fresh gmail account , i had to change a setting under the security options to allow less secure app access, so for this i created a fresh gmail account :yep:.

To test i just set the low figure in the excursion to something higher than i was currently at, click deploy and you should see a red dot under excursion node and a green dot flash under email to say its sent, and an email off course :yinyang:

large.5ebcef6a23c7c_emailnode.PNG

Edited by highcontrast
  • Like 4

That is going to be extremely useful - a huge thank you for all your hard work and effort to share ;)

It's more fun than I've had in a long time! 

• Like 1

@3potheads im struggling with the DS18B20 sensors, i had 1 work briefly but then nothing. I have 2 here to use and they would be a much better fit for a grow room environment over the dht. Any tips?

large_sens.PNGlarge.dsenssor.PNG

@KayDog patience lol I'm getting on a bit and happen to have some very good meds on the go right now :wassnnme: :yep:

I have so much stuff to work through. A fire detection module is on route too for a play. I have already ordered my enclosure and at this rate i'm going to need a bigger one :yahoo:

• Like 2

I was so impressed with this thread from the start, that even as most of it went over my head, I was hooked.

I ordered myself a raspberry pi4 and extra add on kits.

In just one week, the simple set up to monitor a grow room has become myriad of computer nightmares to test the patience of the experts.

I have now realized that my time and efforts are better spent looking after my plants and playing my guitar.

I think the system is great and hope you guys can perfect it.

Maybe one day I will be able to afford a ready made system.

Hopefully, because my order has a 6 week process time, I should be able to cancel it.

Thankful that you guys have shown how complicated it is, and probably, saved me lots of time and money on something I couldn't finish.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, thatman said:

Thankful that you guys have shown how complicated it is, and probably, saved me lots of time and money on something I couldn't finish.

I ain't gonna lie, it eats time.For me right now thats what i got plenty off so has given me something to focus on. 

But i feel the need to point out that I am a bumbling idiot that is pretty much high 247 :yinyang:. I consider myself an un-educated commoner, some would say simpleton lol. The info is out their for the likes of me, but its the time to sift threw all the shit that don't work and all the important things the other guides left out. Once its all laid out in front of you its a different story. I can visualise an end product  that is tailor made to my grow space without relying on an expensive command module. 

If anyone is thinking of doing this and not sure if they have the smarts then hit me up and i will try my best to sort you the correct info specific to our needs 

• Like 3