Pi grow room monitor/control

Gsp1ce

Have just finished building a raspberry pi based grow room controller if anyone is interested :) 

Was fairly cheap and is set up to monitor Temp/Humidity and Water level...it then switches intake fan or heater to maintain chosen temp.

Decided not to switch grow light via pi just now as i wanna test the system for reliability..but yup can do LEDs or HPS(via contactor).

Its been in service two days so far and is working sweet.

Im happy to help anyone doing a similar thing..can modify for any setup :)

PH and EC monitor to follow.....

Temp/Hum sensor - DHT22 

Water level sensor - Ultrasonic range finder

Fan/heater switching - 4 gang 230v 10a relay board

Node-Red automation software. 

Pi 3+

large.IMG_20200504_171025.jpg

• Like 29

Love it!

I started doing this but other life things got in the way and it's been left in a state of half done.

I REALLY want to get the water level of my auto pot Res monitored though, I got a waterproof ultra sonic sensor and some 5v to 3.3v boards but never actually wired it all up. I think it was a jsn-sr04t.

This is what I ended up making using node.js, wanted to add more sensors and automation to it but haven't got that far yet and then started playing around with home assistant for the house and wondering if I should just setup another HA instance for the groom.large.DualDash8.JPG

Also got a camera hooked up which is good, means I don't have to go up in the loft all the time to check on them!

Would love.more details on the board and code if you're happy to share!

• Like 8

Thanks man :)

Your welcome to a copy of my node-red flow and hook up details.

I'm no coder and this is my first go at node-red..so be merciful. although im pretty happy with the way it turned out so far and it works well in reality.

node-red is a wicked bit of software. 

Just been and checked growroom and the pi is still workin sweet..I have it graphing data so i can see what its done through the night. 

Also got it takin a photo every half hour (display shows last one taken).so i can compile a timelapse video later.

Theres also a circulation fan scheduled timer running, Ui indicators to show status of fans/heater..basic thermostat to control heating/cooling(only measured at canopy).

Ultrasonic setup was a bit of a mission to dial in..i use DWC so im attempting to measure a water level thats bubbling! was totally freakin the sensor out! was unusable! 

I decided to add a software filter of sorts to try and ignore the noise and so far its doing ok..more tuning required though..it still fluctuates 5-10%! 

if your tanks are still it'll work way better..and wow your rockin a waterproof ultrasonic (flashy :)) and yup 3.3v step down required..i just slapped a 10k resistor across echo and ground.

i also had to fud around coverting/inverting sensor data (distance in cm) to a usable percentage to run the Ui gauge..toked a few sticks sussin that one out!

Anyway fella..Happy to help you out if i can 

i will export my project and punt it to you when i get a chance..just cut and paste the code and download relevant modules.

Cheers

• Like 6

For not being a coder you've done really well then! I've not really looked at node red fully, I've had a read and a quick play for my Home Assistant setup but not for the groom yet. You got some experience in electronics I'm guessing as the other pics on your album you've got proper connectors and everything! I've still got mine running through a bread board.. :thumbdown:

Yeah ultrasonic I can see being a ballache, might have a crack at that this weekend as I've let the Res run dry a couple of times now which isn't good! Mine is pretty still so should be okish to read. My 3.3 step downs arrived the other day so no excuses now!

Time lapse I've done but need to find a better camera, currently using a webcam via USB to take a photo every 10 mins which gets put on the webpage and saved to the pi ready to make a timelapse later. Cause I use a parabolic shade I have to keep moving the cam up when the shade gets moved up, what I want is a fisheye cam that I can mount to the shade as then it will always be in the same spot. Below is a gif of a bit of my last grow, limited by the smaller upload size of the site to only a few frames.

large.5db243546a613_image(1).gif

Keen to share any knowledge I have as well but it seems you probably have more to share. Another person who was doing monitoring but using an Arduino was @mrevolve 

• Like 10

large.5eb2a946bdb62_IMG_20200505_214012-Edited.jpgSweet timelapse..im looking forward to using leds. HPS flicker sucks for photos. im using the raspicam thing.

ive been eyeballing 'spiderfarmer sf1000's' which seem to have an ok review..for the new g room once i finally get the keys to my new pad..should've been last week but the end of civilisation seems to be slowin things down!

I work as an Audio visual technician so plugs sockets and bits of wire are a way of life for me...got tons of junk left over from installs..and the systems i install for theatre and show control are pretty similar to the pi setup just bigger and way more expensive..although i dont program them (im the mug with the toolbox) i do get to see some cool stuff and learn a little.

Although mostly i copied, pasted then modified stuff from other peoples node red projects to do this.

Added a second sonic last night so both dwc buckets are monitored..messed about with the 'spike filter' and timing to try and straighten out the readings..gettin there...i think..

also discovered a bug i have to fix! the UI led i have for cooler works ok (red and green) until the thermostat is going through the 'hysteresis' part of its cycle..(sorry for the weird word..is new to me!) as far as i understand hysteresis allows the temp to swing a little above and below setpoint temp so your equipment doesnt flap on/off around setpoint.  

Also gonna setup remote network access to the pi from my pc today. think its pretty easy.

i can post a page of code tonight that you can paste into node-red and have a look at what ive done. you could use it to test your sonics :) what sensor do you have?

cheers for now 

Edited by Gsp1ce
  • Like 7

EXCELLENT! 

omfg - truly excellent. Well done. 

I'm very interested. I'm going to read this thoroughly. After lockdown when I can get my stuff I'll be building on this. 

Well done! I'm so glad. 

E2a

@automation

Edited by KayDog
  • Like 4

Cheers man..gonna post the page of code later :) so you guys can have crack at it.

system has been running a few days now without major incident..liking it

• Like 3

awesome stuff, it wasn't until @KayDog mentioned this the other day that it peaked my interest. I have no experience with coding, I have a pi 4 that i installed home assistant on yesterday for a play, but then i ditched that and installed retropie for some oldskool gaming instead.

I need something for a micro setup that alerts me to low water in a small 5l tank and i was also hoping to use a moisture sensor for soil. I could then get water via an app connected to a drip feed dosing setup. 

do we think this is possible for someone with no prior knowledge? can you guys get me through this ? :yinyang:

• Like 2

Retro gaming...cool :) how retro? snes? i was raised on street fighter 2 turbo and mariokart...good stuff.

If you have a pi 4 your half way there....get yourself a dht22 temp/humidity sensor or two, a dfRobot soil sensor, level sensor either ultrasonic or one of the resistive types and a pi relay board.

Im not a coder and basically copied and pasted chunks of other peoples projects and cobbled this together...the wiring is just 'join the dots' and theres loads of info and step by step stuff on the interweb.

check out some vids on node-red software.

cheers

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gsp1ce said:

Retro gaming...cool :) how retro? snes? i was raised on street fighter 2 turbo and mariokart

same here, my old man bought a chipped snes from a man down the pub back in the day lol

• will finish my shopping list and get the node-red installed to get started then :yep:
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, highcontrast said:

awesome stuff, it wasn't until @KayDog mentioned this the other day that it peaked my interest. I have no experience with coding, I have a pi 4 that i installed home assistant on yesterday for a play, but then i ditched that and installed retropie for some oldskool gaming instead.

I need something for a micro setup that alerts me to low water in a small 5l tank and i was also hoping to use a moisture sensor for soil. I could then get water via an app connected to a drip feed dosing setup. 

do we think this is possible for someone with no prior knowledge? can you guys get me through this ? :yinyang:

I think your over complicating it just use a ball cock/float valve like in your toilet cistern.

When the water level drops the valve opens and fills the tank till the float rises closing the valve again.

100% mechanical, no electricity needed or programming etc and technology as old as the indoor toilet...

2p

Edited by Dodgee
E2+ £3 from Toolstation so cheaper too.
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

I think your over complicating it just use a ball cock/float valve like in your toilet cistern.

When the water level drops the valve opens and fills the tank till the float rises closing the valve again.

the small tank will have to be filled by hand every time, its not something i can automate where it is mate.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dodgee said:

100% mechanical, no electricity needed or programming etc and technology as old as the indoor toilet...

2p

absolutely...I am only monitoring level and really didn't want to add junk to the inside of my tanks..and its kinda fun playing with different sensors.

cheers

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, highcontrast said:

the small tank will have to be filled by hand every time, its not something i can automate where it is mate.

My bad, I thought you were trying to automatically fill the small tank itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gsp1ce said:

get yourself a dht22 temp/humidity sensor or two, a dfRobot soil sensor, level sensor either ultrasonic or one of the resistive types and a pi relay board.

dht22 is sorted, I did have a dht11 on order but just see these are more accurate. I may skip the level sensor as I have just seen the app I will use to drip feed has a work around. 

the dfrobot sensor is confusing me. it appears to be for the aurdino, i know alot of stuff appears to work for both, can you confirm ?

so if i just want to monitor temp/humidity and the soil probe do i still need the relay?

• Like 1