A Guide to Building and Operating Bubblers

MU

Guest Healthystealthy

Hi MU, nice thread m8 :wink: well no-ones posted here for a while so heres one. Ive just bought a 10 25l pot bubbler system complete with net pots, hydroton clay pebbles, air stones ( 5 inch circular which ive heard are naff) 2850lph quiet air compresser & 8 metres of tubing. This will be my first go at hydro & chose this system cos ive seen the growth rate first hand with these compared to soil & its jaw dropping material ( doing soil also in a budbox but going to construct a seperate area for the bubblers so if everything goes tits up i'll have my soil grow to fall back on lol )

post-22188-1183595757_thumb.jpg

Any chance you could talk me thru things a little as im finding the whole thing a bit daunting even after constantly reading about things :rofl:

regards,

Healthy :unsure:

Guest Healthystealthy

Hi Brad420, ive just read somewhere im sure that the circular airstones aint the best m8, but if your saying they're ok then that makes me happy as i thought i was going to have to buy new ones :wink: Any advice you can give me while your here m8 if your running bubblers????

cheers,

Healthy :yinyang:

Guest Peppi

hi mu

this threads been goin a long long time ... :yinyang:

gotta be one of the best threads on the site mate................... :wink: :yahoo:

peppi :smoke:

Guest Healthystealthy

Hi brad, would i be better converting this system to a recirculating one so i only have to check the ph & ec in the main res instead of 10 different pots? Also if & when needed i could add an aquarium heater into the main res to keep the water temp right without having to worry about roots near the heater or getting 10 of the bloody things, dont know how much of a problem water temps would be in this kind of setup, i guess it would all depend on what lights you use & how stable your enviroment is. What do you think, the only problem being if sowt went wrong it would feck up all 10 pods tho which wouldnt be good lol As i mentioned before this will be the first time ive done hydro so any advice you can give me would be much appreciated lol

cheers,

Healthy :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Hello all you hydro-nuts,

After the complete and utter failure of my first grow, I'm giving it another bash. I've managed to get a little bit more space than initially planned on, but I needed to ask a couple of questions first before I put my master plan into action.

I can either fit in 4 x 5ltr pots, or 3 x 15ltr pots. Obviously, I'd rather have 4 on the go...so will 5ltr pots be big enough?

I have the large round airstones, but I was wondering if I could use an under gravel filter (from an old fish tank) and a fountain pump to have a similar effect? (not quite sure how to achieve this yet...just a thought, so that I'd get bubbles all over the buckets, not just in the middle)

I have to admit that I do have information overload...so please keep it simple :yahoo:

Take care,

Scoobs

• 4 months later...

400-500 cc of air per gallon minimum, I usually go to 5-10 times this number.

Basically put you cant use a walmart air pump for your 50 gallon tubs, you would need like 13-20 of them per tub, and there like $20 a piece,

Get a good 100+Liter per min pump ($100.00USD Ebay, so like 50 pounds), (1 Liter=1000cc of air) and you could run 100 gallons worth of bublers with air to spare

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the great thread Mu, I have used the info here to build a bubbler for two mothers. At the moment I have two seedlings in there and have then there first shot of nutes 2 days ago, previously running on ph adjusted tap water. I set the ph to 5 and the ec to 4.4 my tap water is 2.0 like yours, when I got home last night the solution had dropped to ph 4 - any idea what might have caused this?

Thanks for the great thread Mu, I have used the info here to build a bubbler for two mothers. At the moment I have two seedlings in there and have then there first shot of nutes 2 days ago, previously running on ph adjusted tap water. I set the ph to 5 and the ec to 4.4 my tap water is 2.0 like yours, when I got home last night the solution had dropped to ph 4 - any idea what might have caused this?

• 1 year later...

I think the PH drops if the EC is too high and 4.4 seems VERY high. I'm lucky enough to have tap water with a starting EC of 0. Maybe you should be looking for a cleaner/purer source of water?

• 2 months later...
you will need these tools to make a bubbler...

the drill for drilling holes and the saw for making the holes in the lid for the net pots. if you can find a big enough round saw, which i couldnt, you could use a round saw to make the holes in the lid, but the netpots im using are 100mm at the base and the biggest round saw i could find was 100mm which was just not quite big enough... :ouch:

sawing the holes in the lid is the pain in the arse job, the hardest bit of making a bubbler, so if you can find smaller net pots and a big enough round saw, go for it! lol

make a compass with 2 screws and a strip of wood, preferrably ply wood, pilot drill 2 holes through the wood 1/2 the size of the collar of the net pot and screw the screws through 6 mm through wood, set out the centres on your lid and then pilot drill lid, put 1 of the screws in hole and run round a few times scoring lid, try and get it reasonably deep and then do it from underside once done run round with sharp stanley knife

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It must be a hassle having to tend to each individual DWC bucket regularly. The setups with one main reservoir look much more practical.

Edited by Artificial Emotion

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...