A Guide to Building and Operating Bubblers

MU

@@stu914 ah right cheers. Im using GH 3 part nutes. it was only when I stirred it all up, it was as if the white residue had mixed into the water. i have 2 air stones in the res (40 litres but only 18l water.)

Puma.

@@puma

Do you mean it cleared once you stirred it up?

If you have only 18l in a 40l res how do you have the mesh pots situated? The bottoms of the pots need to be just touching the nutes to begin with, to encourage the roots out.

Once they are into the nutes, move the level down to allow an air pocket between pot and nutes for the air roots.

I have about 18l as well with four golf ball airstones, two pumps. Just in case one pump goes down the other should keep things going,

don't forget there is no room for error with this system......... belt and braces........ :rofl:

:oldtoker:

@@stu914 it has cleared up a little when I checked this morning. I dont really have a back up plan either apart from cleaning res and mixing up more nutes. :sadwalk:

I have the pots sat around an inch away but I can adjust that if thats the best way to go.

Do you find that the air stones make quite a lot of vibration in the res? or does your insulated cooler box help with that?

Puma.

@@puma

If the roots are already in the nutes then that's fine, if not I would raise the level until its just tipping the bottom of the pots.

Once the roots are in, I have the gap around 4" for the rest of the grow.

My nutes stain the roots brown and the additive I use clouds the water so I would be tempted in your case to just go with it and see what happens.

If you get issues then maybe look at changing the nutes for something else.further along the grow.

Once you get the hang of it you won't look back, I've tried loads of hydro systems and imo this is the best

• Like 1

@@stu914 cheers pal. I think I'm going to put them in later today. I suppose I've got a few more seeds left if these go tits up. The leaves are starting to look a lighter green today too, I think they're getting hungry.

I'm hoping for a good growing experience, wanted to do DWC for a while and new living arrangements allow me to :smokin:

Puma.

@@puma

Nice one, get those babies in and we'll see how we go....

I've got an SAD auto from sweet seeds just on its second set of leaves so we'll be almost side by side on this one.

good luck

stu :oldtoker:

• Like 1

@@puma

I use sensi ph perfect nutes and Buddhas Tree additive during flower.

After an enforced break of several years, technology had moved on and when I started again and the growshop guy recommended these.

I've had really good results with them, so simple to use and the best bit is no ph to worry about.

If you fancy giving those a try some time in the future I'll give you the heads up how I use them, they're no more expensive than any good quality nutes.

I add oxyplus about every 3/4 days, about 1ml per ltr,

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@@stu914

Hows it going stu? Sorry to use this thread as a PM but im not up to 50 posts yet! I'm still learning so find it hard to reply to posts. Im sure you said we were roughly the same timing on our grows and wondering how you got on? i done 16 oz from 2 plants. just started vegging the second round with a change of setup to RDWC. think I'm starting to regret it already but I love to learn from mistakes so hopefully the first grow wasnt beginners luck and get another decent run. doing 3 this time.

Have a high weekend my friend.

Puma. :pimp:

@@puma

Hi bud, nice result should keep your jars topped up for a while, mine comes out a week today and I expect five to six yield from my 150hps.

RDWC is a good system once you get the hang and dial it in correctly, good luck with it

atb

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@@stu914

Lasted a week with RDWC and reverted back to the much simpler DWC. I find anyway. Temperatures were impossible to keep on top of without spending a small fortune. Ice bottles simply didnt do a thing.

How long do you veg for? and is it seeds or clones you start with?

This round i used a little superthrive and diamond nectar when the roots started poking through the rockwool and the difference i am seeing is ridiculous! roots are ice white, so many of them and really long with thousands of side shoots on them. I found that i doint like superthrive added to a reservoir but to hand feed the seedlings, they love it. Last time i used GH 3 part, big bud and overdrive.

This time, GH 3 part, diamond nectar, sensi cal mag extra, silicone, big bud, overdrive and bud blood (as i was impressed with the Big B and overdrive last round)

Good luck with the harvest mate.

Puma.

Should be flipping on sunday, see how the bud blood performs.

@@puma

Hi bud, harvested ten days ago with a good yield from dwc. I use very basic nutes + boost, not a great believer in all the extra this and that the grow shops want to sell me.

PH perfect A+B grow and bloom with Buddhas Tree boost for flower is enough to give me about 1gpw depending on strain. (no PH adjustments either)

I've done both seed and clone in this dwc, auto and fem too. Pros and cons to all of them. Veg time depends on how quickly the plant fills the space, allowing for flowering as well.

Average is around the 6 week mark for both seed and clone, although I had a Mohan Ram auto that went from seed to crop in 7 weeks!! :shock:

Good luck with the rest of your grow, let me know how it comes out

atb

• Like 1

@@stu914

Good stuff, it'll be in jars now then is it?

I didnt want to fall in to the "need everything on the grow shop shelf" trap. At the same time I kinda just wanted to try. Maybe I should have added one thing at a time as Im not sure what has improved the start of this grow so much. The silicon is a right ball ache to use but my stalks and stems are nearly just as thick as my last one when it was harvested. Maybe not the silicone but I dont want to change anything at the minute as theyre looking so healthy. Next round ill drop it and see how it goes. I bought the 5l GH 3part so got a couple grows left of that. been considering the Ph perfect A&B or Jungle Juice when its time.

The only time i adjust the ph is when I first mix up the feed, i still check it everyday just for peace of mind. When the water level drops, the ph does slightly, after top up its a perfect 5.8. I dont find it much of an inconvenience and makes me spend a little more time gazing at them haha.

Im going to give cloning a go as just got another set up. Seems a little pointless as I only grow 2 at a time but I just want to try it to see if i prefer seed or cutting. then i have a drying space so the flower room doesnt have to shut down for a weeks drying.

Sorry for the long talk, just ripped 2 bongs and have no one else to talk MJ to, lonely stoner!

Puma.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have been growing a good few years now and always grown in a RDWC system with good results. Best being 26.5oz trimmed and dried off 600w HP's and 350cfl combined, not brilliant but not bad for 4 plants. Anyway I decided to go away from HPS/MH to try LED plus cfl. 600w LED plus 260cfl grow. To go along with the lighting change I also decided to change away from RDWC to a home made system using a minute timer, a 50l/min air pump with aircurtins in each bucket. A 900l hour water pump and some 18l/hour spraying heads. To be honest this system I find is much easier to maintain and gives a better root system than in a DWC setup I have ran (don't worry I ran them well with good nutrient and temp control) If anyone has not built their system and is still making up their mind and wants any details drop me a line it may change the way you grow.

Stay safe cain1.