A Guide to Building and Operating Bubblers

MU

Over to haarlem to see my mates next one using my system soon,he's going for 100z's jackberry under 9 x 250w son-t watch this space...

• 8 months later...

I did my 1st 2 grows with a autopot 2 pot system that a friend bought me, as I was searching the tinternet to gain knowledge and tips for my system I came across a bubbler. I was straight to the local diy store the next day and started to get all the bits needed for my first bubbler. to start of with I did a 20l tub with 1 plant and a single pot autopot system as a side by side grow.

The bubbler was easier to maintain the nutes seemed to by more stable that the nutes in the res for the autopot.

by 4th week of 12/12 the 20l tub was pretty much full up with lovely white roots. end of the grow came and I had tripled the weight of the autopot. So that was it I was hooked on bubblers :)

After the end of my side by side test was done I had already made 2 tubs with 2 plants per tub and NEVER looked back.

I did another 7 grows with the bubblers and steadily got better and in creased the yield :D :D :D

I stopped growing about 9 years ago due to baby and never really had the time also my 2 boys were getting a bit curious 10 n 8 so they were always in n out of shed where I grew.

Im planning on starting a new grow but cant decide between bubbler or aeroponics Mist style........ Hmmmmmm

GREAT thread Mu top job

• 1 month later...

Can you get wider rather than taller tubs? I'm using a 5l tub ATM due to height restriction and am looking for a wider tub with the same height

• 2 months later...

@@rosswaa

Hi, I use a 25 ltr coolbox, (the type for picnics etc) they are ideal for dwc/bubblers. Lightproof and insulated its much easier to control temps.

There are smaller ones than mine and they aren't expensive, hole in the lid for the mesh pot, couple of holes near the top for airlines etc perfick!

atb :oldtoker:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just read this whole thread, just about everything i wanted to ask was answered. Im just starting a bubbler grow and was wanting to do a scrog. however, how do people go about changing/cleaning their res if the plant is woven between the screen?

Im doing 2 plants in same bubbler.

Puma.

@@puma

Same set up as me, I have a drain pipe on the side of the res, gets almost everything out and what's left doesn't matter that much.

I start with a clean res and use oxyplus right through which keeps things sterile.

Complete nute change every 7 - 10 days, no cleaning until the end.

Good luck with it

:oldtoker:

thanks @@stu914

have you fitted the drain pipe yourself? mines a DIY job.

How do you use this oxyplus? does it affect ph or ec at all?

I suppose i could use an aquatic syphon for res changes if it only needs to be thoroughly cleaned between grows. im not too keen on putting holes below water level even with rubber bung. track record of my luck will result in water coming through the light fitting downstairs haha.

Puma.

@@puma

Mine's DIY as well, I use an old picnic cooler box initially intended for two plants but I've found one is enough to fill my space.

The second hole in the lid where the other plant should be I now use for topping up and checks etc.

Re the drain pipe, after having to replace the rubber grommet a couple of times and still leaking, its been made redundant,

I now drop a small pump and hose through the above mentioned hole to drain out and that works a treat.

Oxyplus is used if you want to run a sterile res, no good with friendly bacteria as it will kill the lot. I Generally give it about 1ml per ltr on first fill up, another

round about mid week and again at the res change. That would be three top ups every ten days or so.

Temperature inside the res is important too. Between 18c and 22c is about right.

atb

stu

• Like 1

What exactly does a sterile res mean? im not planning on adding anything to the water apart from nutes and ph down.

Water temp, I'm hoping I've got this figured out with a few tests without needing a heater. Once water has been in the tent overnight, the temp remains at a steady 18c when lights are off. and between 21-22c lights on. I've tried directing the intake onto the res bucket which reduced by around 3c, should i need to lower the temps.

@@puma

By sterile I mean there is nothing living in the reservoir, ie algae, bacteria or any other nasties.

If you can insulate the res to try and maintain stable temps it will help, frozen water bottles dumped in there will help to keep them down in summer.

Heater in the winter. The secret is to keep the temps as level as possible lights on and off, remember to top up with tepid water as well.

I have a cheap digital aquarium thermometer which gives both temps in the room and in the res, very handy piece of kit.

• Like 1

@@puma

I know you have already diy'd your system but the coolbox I use is almost made for the job. Insulated, which helps with temps and noise.

Lightproof and made of food grade plastic which means it won't react with nutes.

Easy to adapt, the only thing I had to do was cut some airhose holes near the top rim and in the lid for the 3" mesh pots.

I think it was about 25 quid from argos and holds 25 ltrs though I run mine at around 18 which allows space for the pot/air roots.

Its been going for several years now, and still works fine.

• Like 2

@@stu914 great idea on the pic nic box!

I have a problem i think...I filled my res up with oxyplus and the nutes, let it sit for 24 hours before adjusting ph. When i went to adjust ph this evening, there was a white residue on the inside of the tank. when i put the ph down in and stirred it up it kind of went cloudy. is this normal or something to worry about? The babies are ready to go in system now. Im not sure how to PM you stu. Cheers

Puma.