Happyeccentrics 2019 grow diary

Happyeccentric

@Redrum3 yeah I love having the opportunity of having a dinafem diary.  This is definitely where I have learnt the most bland have had a lot of support to help me learn faster as you can see.  My ability to kill plants seems unparalleled but I am getting there with some 

• Like 2

So here is a wee update.  The cold frame has my bubba kush growing and two tiny we wwxxl seedlings.   Unfortunately something seems to eaten some bubba kush leaves and one of the wwxxl seedling leaves but I can't see what and how anything could have got into the cold frame large.20190611_180422-756x1008.jpglarge.20190611_180428-756x1008.jpglarge.20190611_180436-756x1008.jpg

There is another bubba kush seedling in the greenhouse that I will maybe move into the greenhouse too.  I have another couple of wwxxl seeds left that I will try and germinate and then that's everything in from my dinafem garden.

Here is the wwxxl that I have in the greenhouse that I snapped. It looks like the snapped but isn't retaking so I will learn my lesson from this and  enjoy nurturing what's left of the plant....who knows maybe my extreme topping method will be a great new technique large.20190611_180855-756x1008.jpg

• Like 7

Something has been munching my dinafem garden in the cold frame and I don't know what to do.  It's not a slug and I have looked and cant see anything.  Its had a major munch and my bubba kush and almost had all the leaves off one wwxxl.  What am I best fo do?  If i find the perpetrator I will kill them 

• Like 4

Any catapillars about?? Was in my back garden last week and noticed lots of em munching on some old pot plant the last owner left could be a possibility :yinyang:

• Like 2

Omg (insert long line of swear words here)

Some horrible thing is eating my dinafem garden and I cany figure it out 

Here's my bubba kush

large.20190614_112045-756x1008.jpg

On further inspection some force of evil has almost chewed it in half 

large.20190614_113014-756x1008.jpg

I cant see anything getting into the cold frame as it's all sealed off with glass but clearly something is.   I put this party cup round it to try and protect it as I saw on here but I don't think its slugs so I'm not sure it will help 

large.20190614_113502-756x1008.jpg

I also tried it up to support the almost chewed through bit.

I also see the little evil thing (insert many more swears)  has been munching my sexy ww xxl

large.20190614_112344-756x1008.jpglarge.20190614_112338-756x1008.jpg

Any ideas what force of evil is doing this and how to protect them.  They are  now all party cupped 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Happyeccentric said:

Omg (insert long line of swear words here)

Here's my bubba kush

large.20190614_112045-756x1008.jpg

On further inspection some force of evil has almost chewed it in half 

large.20190614_113014-756x1008.jpg

I cant see anything getting into the cold frame as it's all sealed off with glass but clearly something is.   I put this party cup round it to try and protect it as I saw on here but I don't think its slugs so I'm not sure it will help 

large.20190614_113502-756x1008.jpg

I also tried it up to support the almost chewed through bit.

I also see the little evil thing (insert many more swears)  has been munching my sexy ww xxl

large.20190614_112344-756x1008.jpglarge.20190614_112338-756x1008.jpg

Any ideas what force of evil is doing this and how to protect them.  They are  now all party cupped 

You've not had much luck with this have ya?!

Do you have any decoy plants you could have close by that can be eaten instead while you catch the critter? 

Something is enjoying my chili plants in my greenhouse which would normally have me hunting for it but I feel like so long as they are enjoying those they arent touching the bubba & quick kush. They gotta eat something right?! 

• Like 3

FFS mate.

Companion planting isnt a bad idea.

This year im companion growing

garlic, marigolds, oregano, chives, corriander and basil.

If the plants are still small enough you could try an upturned half plastic bottle pushed into the ground. Like a personal greenhouse for each plant. VIP treatment. You may need to vent them if it gets too humid. (try lifting it off and clearing the condensation once or twice a day.)

Are those slug attractant pellets all around the plants?

I'd say you got lucky and the ctitters where not all that hungry or you'd have zip by now.

Could be something bigger than a slug too. Mice maybe. It's surprising how little of a hole the need.

The greenhouse wwxxl looks ok ish.

She's not dead.....

Any new growth? Signs of recovery?

Be lucky @Happyeccentric

• Like 3

@Happyeccentric  Also you could try some detterent sprays.

I'm using garlic (sqauished) cinnamon, paprika pepper, chopped chillis steeped in an old milk container.

I normally mix 10-20% steeped mix to water and foliar spray. Plus some surfactant I've started using aloe vera gel. but sometime still use dishwasher liquid. This helps stop the foliar spray from beading up and just rolling off the leaves. You can spray around the soil around the plant a little too.

Neem oil too.

Edited by Kipper420
  • Like 3

@Kipper420 thanks the good vibes and that's an excellent idea.  I have most of these things in the kitchen so I will get them sprayed today.   

@Redrum3 I'm usually a very very lucky person but I have defo had a lot of bad luck on the plants.  maybe my problems are front loaded so I will have a great harvest. 

On the upside I have just germinated my last 3 seeds and they go into pots today.  Maybe i have learnt so much about plant problems this will all go swimmingly haha x

• Like 2

Not tonight Josephine..............STEEP them in the water for at least 3 days before mixing and spraying.

Make a batch and let it steep just using what you want when you want it......

Have a search for slug defences. wire wool, towers, electric

• Like 3

The plants themselves are actually amazing.  Where  you think about it they have had more abuse than a child having a sleepover with Jimmy Salville and they are just determined to keep trying.  Bubba kush almost eaten in half looks like is really trying and not wilting and the wwxxl with leaves eaten right off and trying harder anything to make a come back.  Got a love these wee plants for trying so hard when I keep messing up.  It looks like 3/3 of my last seeds have germinated but just waiting until the tap roots are a little longer to pop them in soil as I've learned with the rest I seem to have  more success when I let the Tao root get that little bit longer 

• Like 3

@Happyeccentric  " Where  you think about it they have had more abuse than a child having a sleepover with Jimmy Salville " That should be your signature dude love it but thats my sick sense of humor coming out lol. As for the garden could you not put the smaller ones that are in the soil in fresh pots for now  ?? get load of slug traps set up, and pest killer id also be inclined to add some fresh soil into that lot as well.  the one thats snapped i wouldnt worry to much about and tape it back up. (you maybe pleasntly suprised ) also set up some slug traps with beer. Theres a thread on here about it @Kipper420 i think it might have been put wire wool around his now thats also a good idea. Any way dude all the best hope it picks up for you

On 14/06/2019 at 4:14 PM, Happyeccentric said:

Your having the same lick as me this season mate, I'm losing plants left and right with no visable signs of any critters. 

I've got the slug tape, pellets, companion plants but every day in losing a baby :(

Not been the best start to the year that's for sure :(

On 15/06/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kipper420 said:

Have a search for slug defences. wire wool, towers, electric

@Andromedian and @zug had a cool 9v battery killing slug contraption in their thread which maybe worth a look :yep:

That's the weird thing I'm not seeing any critters trails just missing plants. I have found if I can get them to a decent size. 8-12 inches there fine. Straight out under a cloch there fine. Take the time away and carnage :(

On 16/06/2019 at 7:56 AM, bubbleguppie said:

Where  you think about it they have had more abuse than a child having a sleepover with Jimmy Salville

Now that's funny lol

All the best  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 2

@Happyeccentric..... Ive just done the same as you!! 

Ive snapped my bubba kush! :furious:

I was training it over, done it a couple of days ago and I was just re-bending tonight and Ive snapped the top section! About 95% through. 

Couldnt believe it. 

It was so pliable the other day and today it obviously wasnt! 

Quickly taped it to a splint and said some prayers to the weed gods. 

:wallbash:

• Like 3