Cloning - 10 Easy Steps to Successful Cuttings

Budelaire

yeh that probly why i aint tested humidity temp and got a t5 8tube on 4 tube setting just went in there now and jiffys are still damp so hopefully roots soon thx bud :stoned:

• 1 month later...

Budelaire can u use the pm root stim instead of the maxi crop sea weed ? say if i put 1mil to a ltr for 20 pellets roughly, do u think this would be ok ?

Hey Bud, cool thread.

First time taking clones the other day and I've followed this thread. My problem is that my clones after 2 days are very droopy. The only problem I can think of is that i'm using the coco Jiffy plugs and I squeezed most of the water out before putting the clones in. Does this sound about right?

I've gave them a spray to moisten things so let's see if I haven't buggered this up...

• 2 months later...

Hi Budelaire! Fabulous piece mate, I love it. I found it just in a nick of time too. How's it been going? Last week I let some cuts get too much sunlight in a glass by the window. They wilted and turned into ghosts pretty quick. Wow, then my friend got gifted a couple G13 bushes, so I took some cuts and was thrilled to find your tutorial. Tony's guide was a big help, but Your cling-wrap planter is right on the money. If all goes well, I'll have a few super nice plants in a couple weeks, thanks a bunch!

Bump Bump!

Cheers,

Uktena

All has gone fairly well with one minor jolt, but we're back on course. I was weary of fully wrapping the outer pot with cling-wrap due to having been combating mildew infections lately, but after 24 hours, several of the cuts had wilted from lack of humidity. So, I sprayed them off with a half diluted version of my usual foliar application (K-silicate with kelp, yucca, and fungicidal microbes, pHed to just over 7), then wrapped the whole pot air-tight with cling-film. After a couple hours they had all perked back up, looking great. I think it'll be fine. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple weeks. Cheers everybody!

Good informative guide for beginners dude,I can see this helping out a lot of peeps who are maybe not too confident taking cuts.

I was growing for ages before crackin it with clones and lost many a good plant because of it. My main problem was soakin the medium too much,that and interfering too much.

I put my cuts into 2ltr plastic bottles cut in half,like so

gallery_65091_6225_86406.jpg

Havin great success using these and every little clone has its own wee prop :D

Onwards n upwards

Salty

:pugwash:

• Like 2

I should have reread the original post before starting, but I got all excited to make some clones with the pot-in-pot system without realizing this only works if you cut out the compost completely. I did a half and half ratio of coir to compost, and let me tell you some not so nice looking things were growing in the props in less than a week's time :ouch: . I can take more cuts of the mother plant, but she's right at about two weeks into flower. No worry, plenty of little shoots under the canopy. Thanks again to Budelaire and everyone else who's contributed! I'm sure I'll have better luck with this batch. As before, just for fun I'll let you all know how it goes.

By the way, are Jiffy pellets made of coco-coir or peat? Just a curiosity. I'm going to use straight coir, moistened with kelp/yucca, and maybe a drop of k-silicate. Also microbe/myco granules and into 4-6 cell packs. Mine are cell-packs-in-pots. Thanks all,

Uktena

p.s. Summer is coming on and I have the options of having the propogators stay in my upstairs bedroom, which ranges temp-wise from 18C on a cool night to upwards of 30C in the heat of the day, or keeping them in the veg-tent in my basement (under a low watt cfl because nothing is vegging right now), which stays at a constant 18-21C. Which is the better environment?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, first of all, poor little cuttings definitely can't take the heat. Slightly too cool is much preffered over too hot. Sorry for the dumb question.

Second, I don't know precicely what I did wrong this time, but I just can't keep mildew from setting in with the pots fully covered in plastic wrap. Maybe if I cut out the kelp and just use distilled water and coco it might work for me. For the time being, I've chosen to use a home-made water-pump-sprayer cloner.

I think I can still save my strain though. I just took a couple fresh lower branch cuts pretty late in flower, fimmed them and pinched of any pistils, and have them rooting in my newly refabbed cloner machine with some other fresh cuts. They are all keeping good form, seems they've hardly noticed, just stopped growing. A nice stasis. Cheers and good luck, peeps.

Took 3 SHIT cuttings using this method last night, took some at the weekend after 12 hours all wilted and looked dead, 12 hours on with this method lookin good, still perky, just gotta hold off another 12 days and I'll report back

Guest Default Attribute

I should have reread the original post before starting, but I got all excited to make some clones with the pot-in-pot system without realizing this only works if you cut out the compost completely.

Hi mate, I have used this method a few times using compost and it works just as good.

Hi mate, I have used this method a few times using compost and it works just as good.

Good to hear, cheers. My problem has been mildew setting in after a few days with no airflow in the pot, and it happened even without the compost, so thanks for clearing that up. Maybe it is the microbe granules I've been using, I may have even put some bokashi grains into the mix. Next time I have a lot of cuttings to take I'll give it another shot, keeping it simple with no added microbes or whatnot, just water, hormone, and medium.

• 2 months later...

Good to hear, cheers. My problem has been mildew setting in after a few days with no airflow in the pot, and it happened even without the compost, so thanks for clearing that up. Maybe it is the microbe granules I've been using, I may have even put some bokashi grains into the mix. Next time I have a lot of cuttings to take I'll give it another shot, keeping it simple with no added microbes or whatnot, just water, hormone, and medium.

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, not sure what happened above?

I just wanna give props to my man Budelaire, I've been using his cling film method and works a bloomin treat, best idea ever!

So clean, easy and simple, worked every time and the cuts are just so healthy!

Everyone should be doing it this way - you can't fuck it up, even if your a plonker like me!

RR