Cloning - 10 Easy Steps to Successful Cuttings

Budelaire

Just like to add that the second note/picture to step 3 is misleading really.

Step 3

On the initial cut, you wouldn't leave that stump. You would cut as close to the main stem/remaining nodes as possible so that it prevents die-back.

Leaving a stump means the plant as to heal twice, doubling the abscission layers, and therefore the entry points for any disease etc.

also

Step 6, i now strip the node and cut to 45º just below the stripped node, not actually through it. Creating a sharper edge to penetrate and also more strike points.

Glad its still helping folks out :D

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Default Attribute

Thanks for this guide bud. Got roots already after 10 days, it took me 3 weeks last time and the clones looked like shit by the time they have rooted. This time they look as good as the day they went in. Thanks again, I might be able to keep these smellyberry mums going for a while now.

Good stuff Stevie. I've been using a prop and Root riots of late and the success rate is nowhere near as good for me so i'll be putting them in little pots of batmix and using cling-film again from now on... :wassnnme:

Guest Default Attribute

I was wondering, when is it safe to take them out of the cling film covered pots? They only have 2 or 3 little roots, should I leave them for another few days to let the roots grow then put them straight into compost?

Pop them out and check them, if they are well established like when you would normally pot on, then you're good to go.

Always a good idea to remove the film and let them acclimatise/harden off for 24 hours+ before banging them under HPS or whatever.

Guest Default Attribute

Ok cool, thanks. I was wondering about the hardening off thing as well so you saved another question lol

Edited by StevieRays

Good stuff Stevie. I've been using a prop and Root riots of late and the success rate is nowhere near as good for me so i'll be putting them in little pots of batmix and using cling-film again from now on... :wassnnme:

I have just been using root riots and imho they are crap lol they dry out too quick, i found wrapping them in freezer bags cut to size helps a lot but it`s all a ball ache, back to compost in future for me

Yes they are poor tbf. There only plus point is portion control & ease of distribution into their new homes lol

Were as soil is packed with nutrients, Has much better water retention and they actually grow on in it very well if left as is even in smallish pots.

much better for stoners. lol

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest SmokeyDraw

Well we took 9 cuts, 4 into jiffy's and 5 into rockwool. We used Clonex rooting agent and soaked in 2 litres of ph water with 2ml canna start. They are looking good in there new home (small prop) that we've cling filmed up. It's a smallish veg room, approx 60cmx50x1.6 with a blue cfl 125w bulb.

We'll check them in 10 days to see what we have got. This is very much a first attempt and expectations are low, but hopeful! As our lessons have taught us, you can read the copious amounts of incredible information from uk420 until you are blue in the face but until you start trying you never know!

Thanks again budelaire.

SmokeyD

Guest SmokeyDraw

It's been a week since taking the clones (they were taken last Wednesday) The question is can we look now or leave them until the w/e, I guess am paranoid about the rockwool/jiffy's drying out.

My gut says we should leave them, give them the full 10 days of constant environment , as per the guide. i mean whats the point of reading all this info fellow growers take the time to test and post if we ignore it in all the excitement!!! After all it was a simple test more than a necesity.

Any thoughts?? Other than the fact I've answered my own question !!! :-)

And now having re-read my post from last week it clearly says we're going to wait!!!!

Cheers

Edited by SmokeyDraw

The water can't escape if its totally sealed with cling film. I pop a little extra water in the bottom where the grooves are, to allow a greenhouse effect.

ATM I'm using up root riots etc in props shown here. I'm simply using two carrier bags per prop to seal both ends and then they are under the T5 unit which is on 24/7. They have started rooting into the water at the bottom after around a week, I've had to add more water once but they aren't totally sealed and also the props are crap so its relying on the two bags seal wise. I just lifted them up and added water to the bottom when required, they feel much lighter etc when they need it that way.

gallery_61117_5740_73751.jpg

Edited by Budelaire
  • Like 2