How Many Plants In My Space

Owderb

• 2 weeks later...

This question keeps cropping up nigh on every week so this is how I look at it although there is no hard and fast rules. How you choose to grow also determines plant numbers and pot size. I.E Screen of green(scrog) or Sea of green (sog).

I think the easiest way to work out the best pot size and plant numbers is to first look at what bulb you are using, and I'm using hps bulbs as my base and a 3ft x 3ft or 4ft x 4ft space, and whether plant numbers are a concern for you or just not practical

Work out how many ounces that bulb could and will produce if your grow practices are good. Averaging 1grm/watt as a rough guide

EG..600grms = 21oz so if using 9 plants 600/9 = 66grms/plant which is just over 2oz. A 6.5ltr pot whether in compost or coco will produce that size of plant consistently if like I said earlier its grown in a good environment. I cant see the point of using big pots if only needing a couple of ounces per plant. By the time a large pot has rooted out the plant will probably be too big and you will have had to top or supercrop to keep the height down plus its just wasted time

If using 4 plants then you would look for them to yield over 5oz/plant so then you would need at least an 11-15ltr if in compost but you would get away with 11ltr in coco. Coco tends to out yield compost by more when you get to the bigger pots. Training would mostly be used for smaller numbers to fill the canopy

You also have to take into consideration vegging times. Obviously if you need a crop off quick then its no good using big pots because your vegging times would be longer so smaller pots would be the order of the day. Smaller pots are better also when height becomes a problem

If using sea of green then you could if practical fit 100 plants in there in 1ltr pots but it should still yield the same as 4 plants seeing its the light that governs your yield to a great extent but you would have no vegging time

At the moment I have a 1000w in a 4ft x 4ft space. Ive put 16 plants in coco in there and I'm looking at around 2oz per plant so chose 6.5 ltr pots

So there's a few things that you need to look at before deciding, and then decide on what's practical for you

Hope this makes it a tad clearer

Owd

AWRITE MATE,im using a 600w cooltube in a 5ft wide by 4ft depth and 6ft tall.what do you think would be the best optimum amount of pots/plants to place in area...a man that hardly talks has not much to say

All the information for you to work it out is in OWD's post ;)

Get rid of the Cool Tube and get a decent reflector, get one that will make better use of your space. Your yield will go up.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

im growing in a 5ft wide,6ft tall 3ft depth secret cupboard with a 600wx5"ext fan+cf,things were good to start but im getting a couple of probs,ive 7 girls in there 5 autosfems and 2 norm fems,potted all the same time.my autos are all growing different hights and ive noticed the leaves on a couple are going yellow.(been advised to give more feed)but i give them all the same at the right time so its wierd.my 2 norms are vegging superbly ,going nuts with follage ,cropped once but they are healthy enough.its just the autos that are playing up.tipical teenagers want,want,want.lol

This thread has been a really good read i have just started my first ever grow, and have a Bud Box XXL with 2 100cm parabolics with 600w lamps with a 600w lumateck dimmable ballast, the tent is 2m high, 2.4m long and 1.5m deep, im growing Dutch passions Dark night, and Dutch passions Night queen both from seeds. Any body on gere done a similar grow? if so what sort of results did you get?

My final pots are 15L and ill be using all Plant Magic nutes and soil.

Thanks CornishJoe

• 4 months later...

great reading. i panicked and put another 11l pot under a 6.5l pot thats been flowering for 3weeks (chemdog) and wow she has doubled...obviously. i used 11l pots but they're too huge when full. i use 6.5l now and if a plants looking feisty ill add more room for roots as and when. phew panick over 2plus oz per plant is cool for me.

Edited by Rixxy24

• 4 weeks later...

I've now got a full room to play with :-) I've just put a 2x2x2meter tent in there, a 1m square flood n drain table in the tent and got 4 600w lights above the table and planning on putting 4x ugorg killerskunk and 4x ugorg blues on the table when there ready, does this sound ok or too much/little

• 1 month later...

hi chaps, so a gram a watt is the goal/average, what could be expected from a 600w light on a light mover, travel length 6ft in a 2.6mtr x 1.25mtr area

• 3 months later...

Iv worked on the old rule. 400w 3x3 , 600w 4x4. Get the environment right and good genetics you should get near the gpw. 4 plants per light with 2-3 weeks veg active hydro or 4-5 weeks in pots will do u grand. Also done 8-10 in same conditions just cut veg down. Not much between um up to you with the numbers u want to keep around u. Less seems to be more just my opinion................

Iv worked on the old rule. 400w 3x3 , 600w 4x4. Get the environment right and good genetics you should get near the gpw. 4 plants per light with 2-3 weeks veg active hydro or 4-5 weeks in pots will do u grand. Also done 8-10 in same conditions just cut veg down. Not much between um up to you with the numbers u want to keep around u. Less seems to be more just my opinion................

Cheers Danny mate - As a noob I was glad to hear your advice as I've just got a 80 x 80 x 160 (2.75ft x 2.75ft) tent with a 400w Maxibright dimmable for my first grow.

I was planning on doing 4 plants in coco and figured that these will fill my little tent enough to keep me in bud for a while......

Really my question to anyone / everyone would be.... how many seeds do you think I should germinate in order to ensure i get at least 4 ladies? I'm gonna get feminised seeds but don't really know how many to buy/plant???? should I throw another couple in for good measure...??

Cheers

:skin_up:

Ive decided to have a bash at a SOG grow.

Not sure what pots to use though. Im going to be going straight into flower with no veg under a 600w

What pots should i be looking at? was thinking maybe 1ltr or 3.5ltr.

Also is it actually possible to get 1g per watt with this method with no veg?

Hi Veg,

I'm doing a SoG this time, 16 plants (4x4) under each 600.

I ended up vegging a total of 7 weeks from seed and they've filled the space nicely but have side branches.

Next run will be the same from seed again but after that I'm doing cuts from a mum and will go with 25 (5x5) and cram them close so hopefully just single colas.

You could achieve 1g/w with just rooted cuts but I think you'll need 36 plants in 3.5l's to do it.

I'm using 3.5l pots and am aiming for 1oz per plant.

I'm gonna go for 25 in 3.5l but only veg until they have roots showing rather than let them fill the pots like I did this time.

Edited by Road_Runner

Yep, I think you'd be much better off putting at least 8-10 odd in there with auto's. I'd say look into some reports of how big your auto strains get and work out how many you will be able to fit and cram as many in as possible. I don't have much experience with autos, but as far as I know they should flower straight away, not getting much more than a couple of foot tall. If that is the case for your strains, you might be able to cram a lot more than ten in. You may get away with 3.5 litre pots too, though I'm not sure, you'll have to research ideal pot size for autos.

After you've grown the first lot you will know exactly how many you can fit.

I'm trying some dinafem critical jack autos in my current grow. I have a 600w air cooled hood in a 3ftw x 8ftl x 8fth space. The girls, 5 of - 2 in dwc and 3 in soil, are all 4ft tall , really bushy and still growing in their 7th week from seed. Might have stuck with 4 if I'd known how big they were going to get! Peace.

If I used 4 plants per 600w hps parabolic would 6 weeks veg be enough ? Growing from cuts and how many times would I need to top them ? Also how long veg if I was just to use 2 plants per a light ? All would be grown compost with pm nutes and big pots

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about this guys/gals cos i`m a bit wasted,right this imo is quite possibly one of the most helpfull threads on these forums and the aurther is possibly one of the gurus that help any-one,my point is the thread is designed to get people thinking,reading and making desicions about THEIR grow,it is not (i believe a ask Owd a question session)..............

Read......Think.......Apply........

sorry for the rant

Mr D

PS. and the spelling !!!