How Many Plants In My Space

Owderb

Ive decided to have a bash at a SOG grow.

Not sure what pots to use though. Im going to be going straight into flower with no veg under a 600w

What pots should i be looking at? was thinking maybe 1ltr or 3.5ltr.

Also is it actually possible to get 1g per watt with this method with no veg?

Yeah you can get the 1g/pw and more, depending on your experience and what medium you grow in id go for 2 litre pop bottles made into hempys, using vermiculite and perlite 30/70.

• Like 1

My method works ok with 9 11 litre pots per 600w light and average 11-15 oz

It works only OK mate. Trust me when I say that you would do just as well if not better with 9 x 6.5 ltr pots. Plants get too big waiting for a 11ltr pot to fill with roots and one of the most important aspects of growing is filling that final pot with roots before flowering(except for some sats)

For example Ive got a 1000w in a 1.2 tent and have 5 plants in 11ltr pots. I'm looking at yielding at least 5oz per plant

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 6

So im thinking of a 8 plant scrog in a 2.4 by 2m tent can some1 inlighten me on how to go about.it fan size nutes etc i was gonna use 2x 1000w parbolic shades... Can any1 give a rough yeild estimate?

Hey Cheese smoker,

If you do the maths you'll see 1 gram per watt with that setup would mean aiming for 2000g/71oz of bud. With 8 plants, you'll need 9oz off each one which will require large pots (15L at least) and extensive veg time (see Owderb's post above yours).

Another point to consider - one of the problems with a scrog is access. Once it's all going proper, you'll have the need to reach through the tangle of stems to train and position your bud sites. This can become very tricky if you have a large tent. My last grow was a scrog in a 120x120 tent and, even there, it became difficult to reach the middle. Your tent is much larger and, even with full access to all four sides, I still think you'd struggle.

In that tent, I think I might aim for a U-shaped scrog, leaving the center area free (along with access from one side). That would sort your access out and be nice and easy for watering and training. I'd use 600W lights in 100cm parabolics, and use at least three of them (one above each "section" of the U-shape). Maybe light movers too...

I think Randalizer had a similar setup - have a look for his diaries. They're quite excellent. Just don't ask him for any advice as he's no longer a member ;)

Hope that helps :)

Z.

• Like 1

Hi zed bud thankyou 4 your reply i will be looking at those diaries now thanks 4 some usefull information many thanks cheese smoker

• 2 weeks later...
Guest uncle festa

imo more plants dont mean more bud thats a myth,ive done 8 in my room in smaller pots,whilst 4 in bigger pots yield more,i find that when plants r crammed in and the leaves touch each other they sense lack of room and dont grow to their full potential imo,also more plants more work and possibly more probs to contend with eg 1 sq mt id grow no more than 3/ 4 plants.

Edited by uncle festa
  • Like 1

I am currently planning a 1.2 x 2m tent grow. If I wanted to do 12, so 6 to a m2 how much longer would I need to veg for (I know its strain dependent, but on average)because I want to limit the numbers as much as possible?

Also, would I still be OK using the 6.5ltr pots or would I be better with 11ltr for the slightly longer veg?

Owd reccomends flowering at 14-16 inches with 9 per m2, veg for 2 0r 3 weeks, anyone got any idea what my optimal flowering height would be, a bit higher I presume, maybe 18-20 inch?

Basically, I'd like to yield an average of 2.5-3oz per plant with 12, rather than 2oz per plant with 18 so am looking for any input on the best method to achieve this, any replies much appreciated.

ALSO (Lot of questions I know!) I'm tossing up between 2x600 HPS or 3x400 HPS. Would the better light spacing be beneficial, or would the lesser penetration of the 400's cause me any probs with my intended set up? My theory is that I could have the 400's a bit closer to the canopy, and as I'm aiming for relatively small plants the better light penetration of the 600's might not be that important anyway. Correct?

Is it worth growing one plant, under 600W HPS? Im talking about autoflower and what size flowering pot should I use? :smoke:

It would be great, if its worth of trying.

• Like 1

Is it worth growing one plant, under 600W HPS? Im talking about autoflower and what size flowering pot should I use? :smoke:

Well, it all depends on the space you have available and the medium you're using. I'd say if you wanted to grow just one plant you should use at least a thirty litre pot (In soil) and your veg time will be a lot longer. A scrog would probably be your best bet. Also, IMO you'd be best using a high yielding normal strain rather than an autoflower to do it, as the autoflower will probably flower long before the space is fully used, which defeats the object of using all your space for one plant.

IMO you'd be better doing more plants with less veg time, as you should yield roughly the same as one plant vegged for longer.4 fairly big ones in a 1.2m square would give you a good yield in a lot less time than one monster tree.

• Like 1

6.5 Litre pots are the biz IMO.

I also find that contrary to uncle Festa's point above, plants do not seem particularly to mind being tightly packed. At the moment i flower four plants in a small wardrobe with minute dimensions, much less than a metre squared. As in 70 x 47.5 Centimetres. Most strains yield about 1.5 - 2.0 ounces in this space, and they are well crammed together as you can see below.

Blues at day 45 of 12/12 - do they look stressed and under-achieving or missing their potential to you UF?

tn_gallery_127_2440_540430.jpeg

Edited by Arnold Layne
  • Like 6

Hi,

Got 2 plants currently in 11L pots during veg.

Have a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 tent with 1 x 600w Cooltube.

What do you suggest my final pot size should be?

Cheers,

Hi ya ,

I will be growing in the same room size as u ( I assume you have the DR120 II from Secret Jardin or so )

it depends .. are you growing in soil ?

I have the same question as you in this case due to the Law here ( Holland ) I do not want to grow more than 4-5 plants.

I am also planning in getting a DR120II ( 1.2 x 1.2 x 2 ) and putting 4 plants into that with a 600 Watt HPI + Adjust a WING

My plan is to let them grow in 0,5 L Pots than repot to 3,5 L than 6.5 L and than final pot size 18L or 30L ( I think that is way too much as you can also see I only have 2m of height but I really do not want to have more than 4 plants for example 9 plants in 6,5 L doesnt work for me )

The minimum size of my final pot is defnitely 18 L x 4 , I will be growing on Plagron Bat mix + Bio Bizz fertilizer ( Grow + Bloom )

I am planning on having the plants about 6-9 weeks in vegitative grow and put 2 plants into 18 L pots and the other 2 into 30 L so I can see myself what is the best for my size of tent. I want to grow Critical Jack of Dinafem. Maybe anyone else with more experience could help us in this case as this will be also my first indoor grow.

Cheers,

Well, it all depends on the space you have available and the medium you're using. I'd say if you wanted to grow just one plant you should use at least a thirty litre pot (In soil) and your veg time will be a lot longer. A scrog would probably be your best bet. Also, IMO you'd be best using a high yielding normal strain rather than an autoflower to do it, as the autoflower will probably flower long before the space is fully used, which defeats the object of using all your space for one plant.

IMO you'd be better doing more plants with less veg time, as you should yield roughly the same as one plant vegged for longer.4 fairly big ones in a 1.2m square would give you a good yield in a lot less time than one monster tree.

Well, I have exactly 1.2 square and huge amount of autoflowering seeds, with 600W HPS system + Diamond reflector.

What if I fill all 1.2 square with autos, idk 8-10 plants in 6.5L pots. also add some extra light for sidebuds.

Growing bible coming this week, still i have to calculate the amount of my plants.

Cheers :guitar: