parabolic reflector

N4

here's some pics of the E40-PGZ18 adaptor, notice the 3rd pic of the two prongs on the lamp,
one of the prongs has a bit cut off & only fits in the adaptor one way.

pgz18 adaptors

-

pgz18 adaptor fitment

-

Philips Cmh lamp fittings

PGZ18 adaptor & CMH lamp (1)

-

PGZ18 adaptor & CMH lamp (2)

• 1 year later...

im going back to supernovas ,buds not as dense with parabolic.  same set-up ,same clones. buds used to be rock hard with supernova.

@jimmyriddle I had the same experience with using PowerPlant Super HPS bulbs in my parabolic my flowers just splayed open, I switched back to the Sylvania Grolux Dual Spectrum's and noticed better plant health and flower density through flowering.

In square spaces with closer walls is where Parabolics shine as you can get good reflectivity from the sides aswell as getting the shade down closer without putting all that heat down.

If I had a big room or a large rectangular tent to flower in I would take a horizontal reflector like a supernova or adjustawing all day.    

1 hour ago, SMEG HEAD said:

@jimmyriddle I had the same experience with using PowerPlant Super HPS bulbs in my parabolic my flowers just splayed open, I switched back to the Sylvania Grolux Dual Spectrum's and noticed better plant health and flower density through flowering.

In square spaces with closer walls is where Parabolics shine as you can get good reflectivity from the sides aswell as getting the shade down closer without putting all that heat down.

If I had a big room or a large rectangular tent to flower in I would take a horizontal reflector like a supernova or adjustawing all day.    

the first time i noticed the buds weren`t as dense i changed bulb,(sunmaster 600w)i was in a 1.2 sq tent.hasn`t improved for me, the only change ive made is the parabolic .

note to self........if it aint broke dont try fix it .  

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone :oldtoker:

I have 1x1x2 tent with 6" RVK extraction and passive intake + Shinobi Ultra parabolic reflector with 600w MH and later 600w HPS. My first grow of Pineapple Chunk produced good yield (330g+), but the whole time I had all sort of issues which, I believe, related to heat. Lights on I had anywhere between 28°C to 35°C :pitchfork:

I'm 26 days into my second growth (White Widow this time) and last night I swapped CFLs to my 600w MH and hit temperatures of 35°C. My plants look stressed and I must take action quick. This morning I bough 400w MH bulb which dropped temperature to 27°C - 29°C during 1 hour of 12-1 cycle. At night (when lights are on) I expect my tent to stay around 27°C. Now that I could live with, problem is that with the output of just 37w/sq foot I can only veg, and later I'll have to change to 600w HPS which will bring my temps back up.

As much as I love my Shinobi Ultra (what a beast, light penetration is amazing!), looks like I'll have to let it go and change to AC hood reflector. Any recommendations or other ideas on my matter?

your 6" RVK, what model is it ? is it the A1 (low power) or is it the L1 (high power)  ?

also, how many vent's are open on the tent ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

your 6" RVK, what model is it ? is it the A1 (low power) or is it the L1 (high power)  ?

also, how many vent's are open on the tent ?

A1, two vents open an the bottom. My extraction is powerful enough, I get crazy negative pressure inside the tent. Room temperature where tent sits is around 22°C - 24°C though... Had all sorts of ideas - AC unit (expensive, loud), steam humidifer, LED (can be purchased for around £200 now but god how unreliable they seem to be, almost a lottery)... I feel like I'm left with two options now - stick with 400w HPS throughout the grow or change to some quality AC hood unit.

depending on your filter, I'd get the more powerfull 6" L1 fan as that move's over 720m3/ph where as the A1 fan move's 428m3/ph.

27 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

depending on your filter, I'd get the more powerfull 6" L1 fan as that move's over 720m3/ph where as the A1 fan move's 428m3/ph.

This will not give me the results I want. It might drop a degree or two, but definately not worth the investment. My issue is around warm room and heat trapped between the plants and parabolic. Would havind AC hood mean I need a second fan or could it be added to my extraction setup? I'm using Rhino Hobby Carbon Filter 6" / 150 x 300 (600m3/h) (small I know, will upgrade to a bigger one once it's time).

Was thinking about something similar to Magnum XXXL (regarding hood unit)

Edited by Anchorman

on your shinobi reflector, is that the one with cut out's or sliding vent cover's ?

either way, you could try getting another circulatory fan & have that pointing upward's into the reflector.

also, I cant remember whether your using a fan controller or not  ? 

so many folk have told me over the year's & it's hard keeping track of thing's  :smokin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joint hogger said:

on your shinobi reflector, is that the one with cut out's or sliding vent cover's ?

either way, you could try getting another circulatory fan & have that pointing upward's into the reflector.

also, I cant remember whether your using a fan controller or not  ? 

so many folk have told me over the year's & it's hard keeping track of thing's  :smokin:

Sliding ones, fully opened of course :)http://www.lumatek.co.uk/images/products/Shinobi_Ultra_full_360x292.png I have 12" fan inside the tent, will try to point it directly to the reflector tonight, thank you for the idea - simple and might work, how I didn't think about it :D ( I know how - :oldtoker:)

I'm using variac:

large.58b71f0de3698_IMG_8209(Copy).jpg

• Like 2

Yup, they upgraded this model now, comes with a digital display - glad I've got the manual one, hipster inside me does not like digital :hippy: (search "5 Amp Variac Variable Transformer 1000VA Max 0-240 AC Volt Output regulator New")

• Like 2

Hey everyone :)

No matter what I did, I couldn't drop the temperatures down from 27°C in the middle of a night with windows opened and :pitchfork: 30°C+ when we heat the house so I had to pack my Shinobi :ninja: away and put Dominator XXXL 6" instead. What an amazing unit! Temperature problem is solved :hippy: Ambient room temperature 24°C and inside the tent I have 25.2°C, so at night I expect around 22°C and I won't need to leave the windows opened :punk: