parabolic reflector

N4

Hey guys.
I've been considering the parabolic route and even the doubled up version (once i obtain a 2nd HPS kit) for my 1.2m tent but after reading a thread on Hood Orientation in the lighting section right here at uk420 i'm no longer so sure. Are they really less efficient than the gull-wing type reflector due to the bulb being vertical?
I'd only ever read good things about going the parabolic route until i read the afore mentioned thread on hood orientation.
I'm assuming the quality of the reflectivity on the Parabolic is a factor but whats the general consencous here?....gull-wing or parabolic? And if the latter is there a certain brand that's known to be a good hood?

Thanks guys.

Parabolic all day long, what thread are you referring too? I've run quite a few different shades and the parabolic shades are the business.

• Like 1

Parabolic all day long, what thread are you referring too? I've run quite a few different shades and the parabolic shades are the business.

This one here m8.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=tutorials&article=336

@w33yj.....Funnily enough i was considering the parabolic or mantis types too.

Both look a bit better than the standard cheapo ones i currently have.

I suppose i should really just finish this first attempt before i go upgrading things eh... :-)

Well from my own experience I prefer the light spread of parabolic shades, the heat is dispersed more efficiently and you can get the shades very close to the canopy, getting the canopy as close with a horizontal reflector would require an air cooled shade.

I'm running three euro reflectors until I have money for some Gro-stars, euro reflectors suck, hotspots and a shit light spread,

• Like 1

This one here m8.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?app=tutorials&article=336

@w33yj.....Funnily enough i was considering the parabolic or mantis types too.

Both look a bit better than the standard cheapo ones i currently have.

I suppose i should really just finish this first attempt before i go upgrading things eh... :-)

maybe but if you can afford it why not lol ATB bud with whatever you decide think I will go para tbh ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys Im thinking of upgrading to a parabolic is it worth the money do you guys reckon? N what size (not watt) for a 1x1x2 tent?

Cheers guys take it easy :-D

• 2 weeks later...

i`m thinking of swapping my cool tube for a sunking parabolic reflector but not sure which one to go for,the white powder coated one or the silver hammer tone one.any recommendations?

i`m thinking of swapping my cool tube for a sunking parabolic reflector but not sure which one to go for,the white powder coated one or the silver hammer tone one.any recommendations?

I think it comes down to which one you think looks better, I believe they both perform as well as each other

• 2 months later...

ok at the moment im kinda stuck with 60x60 cm height isnt an issue cos i train the fuck out of my girls .

so i cant get a parabolic shade, is there any i should be using or shall i stick with my normal barn reflector or whatever they are called ?

This might be a stupid question, but do the various paras on sale come flat-packed? There's no way I'm getting anything 1m square into my grow room, it's not a problem once in though. I've only got a hatch as access.

• Like 1