Rough and ready extracts

Rustybiff

To evaporate the alcohol you could put the liquid in a bowl or a tray so it has a large surface area and point a fan at the surface.

If you want to decarb too, you want to heat it up to about 121 degrees C for 20mins or so.

As you raise the temp up to 121 it will hold steady at about 80 degrees while the iso boils off and will do the same again at about 100 while any remaining water boils off, then rise up to 121 for the decarb (and make a steady stream of fine bubbles while it's decarbing).

I'd make a bain marie setup with cooking oil (instead of water) to hit 121 for the decarb.

Aand I'm not sure who I was gonna reply to and Withnailed but I found this in my editor lol

Save your spent chips to decarb > infuse > ingest :chef:

• Like 1

Hey @Hippie on hill, appreciate the input! So would you stand the jar of concentrate in a bath of oil in the oven for a steady temp? That's something I never thought of and sounds like a good idea, though something I could easily mess up with my clumsy hands lol If I wanted to get the iso off but not decarb, could I just follow the steps but with a water bain marie instead? Not sure what the plan for it is yet..

Do you know what point would I incorporate soy/sunflower lecithin if I did go down the decarb route? :)

Good stuff about the chips ;) better late than never! Gonna start keeping the little buggers, sounds like the best use

• Like 1

Yes you can boil off the iso with a water bain marie but you won't be able to get it hot enough to boil off the water, if there is any water in the solution you've made so far (I also think thats why it went a bit milky earlier) 

I'd do it on the hob or a hotplate or something (no open flame) so you can keep an eye on it and take it off the heat if you need to.

I hear it's possible with some deep fat fryers, air fryers and slow cooker type things but I've not tried it that way tbh as I got lucky and picked up a cheap temperature controlled still,  which holds temps really well, for these jobs.

Not used lecithin myself but it's an emulsifier so you don't want to put it in too early as you won't be able to dry it out or purify it any further once you've added the lecithin to the mix.

• Like 2

Yeah what hippy said basically, although my understanding it that you don't need to decarb it, the iso extraction does that on its own. It is good to give it a bit of heat to purge any remaining ISO though, I sit it on the upturned lid of an empty slow cooker. It melts the handle on the slow cooker a bit but it works a treat, 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Nice man that sounds like something I need to pick up then, could use a slow cooker for various reasons.. One day a stew the next an extract, happy days! So you can just straight up eat the oil from ISO extract with no need to do anything else?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MindSoup said:

, although my understanding it that you don't need to decarb it, the iso extraction does that on its own. , 

Not sure what you mean by this?

Iso does not decarb.

15 hours ago, Rustybiff said:

! So you can just straight up eat the oil from ISO extract with no need to do anything else?

The extract should be decarbed as described before eating else you will get little effect.

Extract using iso. Remove iso using heat. 

If product is to be eaten then you need to decarb. If smoked/vaped not necessary.

I use oil bath and food temp probe to maintain temp at approx 120c although watching bubbles very effective.

Edited by M Pamplemousse

Maybe Butane then? You can definitely get high as fuck off raw iso oil, but I guess that doesn't actually mean much. 

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, MindSoup said:

Maybe Butane then? You can definitely get high as fuck off raw iso oil, but I guess that doesn't actually mean much. 

No. Just another solvent to extract.

Once purged if to be eaten you need to decarb. As I said, to vape not needed.

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Fuck knows where I got that from then lol

It can all get a tad confusing.

Gray wolf has lots of good info.

Good weekend!

• Like 1

Glad I didn't just munch it down without further questioning lol still probably would have felt extra healthy that day I'm sure... well cheers @M Pamplemousse, I'll have a play today

It all looks good in here, loadsa cool stuff going on. 

I can try to help with some questions regarding this process if anyone would like me to. 
I consume decarbed oil daily and have done for many years, I make it myself & have refined my process to be as simple as possible. 
I’ve had to buy a few bits of kit to make it easier, but now it’s clockwork and comes out the same every time. 

Rick Simpson used to tell people there was no need to decarb as he assumed the heat in the iso in his method would be enough to decarboxylate the oil, this isn’t very scientific and actually doesn’t work very well. Definitely decarb your oil, I find watching the bubbles tells me when it’s ready although I use a IR temp gun and timer to give me a rough guide as to when I need to pay attention to it.

I use a magnetic hot plate stirrer and a beaker to decarb the oil. The oil I use is hash rosin and is the food grade quality (all of washes 4&5, and microns >150 & <70) I mix with coconut oil or better still - MCT at a ratio of about 1/3 to 2/3 cannabis oil, then add a few drops of sunflower lecithin right at the end. 

That all goes into a large 100ml syringe then into capsules sized 000 whilst warm, then I eat 2 at about 15:00 every day (so roughly 2000mg) it’s a sizeable dose but does me the world of good. 

Feel free to shout me if anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer them, I don’t know everything about this but if you’re making any mistakes you can be sure I have made them myself already! :D

• Like 8