Crow River

2 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

perhaps a restart, without the peat pots may be in order 

Tried that, the two younger girls went straight in the noodle pots. Got a bit bigger, but now similar issues... 

We'll see how they get on this week.

• Like 2

Hey Crow

Plenty of time for some noodly goodness, but frustrating. 

Do you always use perlite and vermiculite?

Could the vermiculite be holding too much water when the seedlings are small? 

Atb

:oldtoker:

• Like 1

@Clumsy, yeah that's my usual soil mix. Good point though, maybe the vermiculite is an issue in these small pots. 

It's all a learning experience. Perhaps I need to refine my approach to soil mixes, especially in diddy wee pots. :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crow River said:

need to set up another tent first though.

You got shares in the national grid buddy lol

Costing me a fortune just trying to stay warm here

• Like 2

Just now, Revive said:

You got shares in the national grid buddy lol

Costing me a fortune just trying to stay warm here

Just a diddy wee tent, 50x50x100. But yeah one reason I don't have all my wee grow spaces running is the electric cost.

Mind you, the light for the noodle grow is only pulling about 75 watts or so currently. Add tube heater and heat mat, it's just over 150 watts in total including circulation fan, maybe a wee bit more when extraction's on. So that's approximately 3 kWh per day given the light's on 18 hours. About a quid a day, including VAT. Thirty quid a month on average. If I add another tent with identical setup, two quid a day, sixty quid a month. Costs will be slightly less if and when I ever switch to flower.

Not a huge amount all said. Adds up over time of course, and energy prices going up again in January... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

@Crow River oh thats cheap enough mate isnt it.

I've only got a 60x60x120 mum tent with a couple tube heaters a mars hydro led dimmed down to about 50w with a couple pc fans for air movment myself but added to the costs of a 1 bed flat and I really dont use that much at all, no heating nothing and im nearly hitting £7 a day..this leccy lark is a fuking joke bro :(

• Like 3

@Revive, well I might have been a bit over-optimistic in the calculations there. Even if it's more like forty quid a month, it's still not too bad. Be lucky if you can get a small round in a pub for that nowadays... :) 

Heating the tent draws more current than the lights in winter. Only the same as a couple of old school incandescent light bulbs mind you. There's four of us here, my son's gaming PC probably uses more electricity than my grow tent! 

• Like 2

Just adding to the point  @Clumsy made, they look exactly how my plants looked when my soil was holding too much water using dalefoot compost.. it's like the roots are suffocating and the plant just gets stunted, not sure they can even come back from that really...

• Like 1

Yeah it's an odd one. As I've seen, the roots are quite well developed. But above the soil the plants are tiny. There was an auto I grew last year that ended up quite small, had some problems with it getting waterlogged. When I chopped it there were hardly any roots to speak of compared to what I would have expected. With this grow, for the younger girls anyway that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I have given all the girls wee jackets of bubble wrap around their pots, just in case chilly roots are causing issues. I'm just thinking temperature fluctuations may have played a part.

I suppose if things don't improve over the next week, I've just about got enough time to restart completely. Will modify the soil mix though if I do...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Just doing the arithmetic on a restart.

If the diary (and the grow) has to be done by 20th April, then count back 8 weeks of flower, add on an extra week for luck. That gives me 6 weeks from now to wet beans, seedling and veg stages. Just about doable, but I need to get cracking!

I'm not going to bin these poor girls currently in the tent. I'll probably transplant them instead. And if I can get away with not having to use another tent, that would be good too. I'm going to try and fit another two plants into my wee diddy tent. One will be in a noodle pot, one will be grown in the traditional manner (well as much as I can given time restrictions). 

I'm away to mix up some soil that hopefully will be more free draining than this one. No vermiculite...

• Like 3

Okay so there have been a few changes in the tent.

The four existing girls been transplanted into a windowsill type planter. So while they will no longer be part of the Pot Noodle sisterhood, hopefully they can continue to grow and might be a bit healthier. 

I've planted another two seeds. Just re-used a couple of Pot Noodle containers. One will stay in the noodle pot, the other will be potted up into a larger container. 

For the soil mix, I substituted extra perlite for vermiculite. Before doing this I re-read the Seedstockers information on TBL:

She loves light and an aerated substrate, which allows for good oxygenation of the roots and helps the plant absorb the maximum number of nutrients. 

I do remember reading this before starting the grow, but somehow managed to provide a substrate that was maybe a bit too moist. Hopefully this new mix with extra perlite will suit the new additions to the tent better. When transplanting the existing girls I used the lighter mix to fill around the root balls, so it should drain better than the old soil.

Anyway here goes - about six weeks until switching to 12/12. Whether I manage to top or train any of the plants in that time remains to be seen. It's possible this will turn into more of a SOG than a vertical grow. We'll see what happens.

Pic is pink because of the red spectrum in the lighting.

large.IMG_20230101_215022.jpeg

• Like 6

On 01/01/2023 at 11:57 AM, Revive said:

@Crow River oh thats cheap enough mate isnt it.

I've only got a 60x60x120 mum tent with a couple tube heaters a mars hydro led dimmed down to about 50w with a couple pc fans for air movment myself but added to the costs of a 1 bed flat and I really dont use that much at all, no heating nothing and im nearly hitting £7 a day..this leccy lark is a fuking joke bro :(

Is the heating for your flat electric? Electric cooker? Because that seems pretty high. We're four people and our electric works out about £4 per day, gas is about £2 per day. That's for everything...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crow River said:

Is the heating for your flat electric? Electric cooker? Because that seems pretty high. We're four people and our electric works out about £4 per day, gas is about £2 per day. That's for everything...

No heating in the flat dude and thats my point..so fridge, my lizards light and heater (flouro and 60w tube heater) 1 tank of hot water, 1 shower ( pump uses leccy) kettle boiling 5/8 times a day, bit of TV or radio, few lights here and there at night, that's about it really dude..its like some fuker has tapped my supply lol seriously it dont seem right but according to them cunts it is..

• Like 1

@Revive  :headpain:seems a bit odd. We're direct debit online only, maybe that makes a difference?

Anyway, I put some insulation round my wee tent, and all the girls are nice and cosy now. Air temps are sitting at the target 26ºC now. Which is good because the Inkbird shuts off the heat once it's reached the target. 

Hopefully the two new seeds will germinate successfully in the coming days, and the tent will start to get a bit busy...

• Like 1

Will say mate my girl fully rooted her pot before she took off above ground, in coco though fwiw.

Maybe a peroxide flush? Get some extra oxygen round the rootball for a while see if that helps matters

• Like 1