Crow River

24 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Nobody wants to see runaway stringy cress... :) 

Au contraire mon ami!

We've got to have something to laugh at!

• Like 2

Wtf? I'm only here for the stringy cress. 

Looking good so far, well the bits you've bothered to upload :D

Best of luck with the comp and grow looking forward to some vertical goodness. 

:oldtoker:

• Like 3

Weekly update.

Yesterday (Day 8 from sprout) I potted up the stretchy seedlings. No further stretch, but one of the girls was so spindly she had fallen over to one side, then started turning her leaves to the light. So not before time to get them potted up. I put about an inch deep of potting mix at the bottom of each noodle pot, then dropped the fibre pots in and buried the stretchy stems in compost. A good water to runoff, then back in the tent.

Bit of a wobbly start for these two, but hopefully they'll start vegging in earnest now. 

large.IMG_20221122_003537.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_003826.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_004620.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_004958.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_004946.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_012051.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_012121.jpeglarge.IMG_20221122_012128.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 9

Nice, if things don't go well you can at least re-use the pots as a colander :yep:

Edited by Exhale
grammarly
  • Like 2

Day 14. The girls are fine. 

I haven't managed to kill them (yet). They are growing. Seem reasonably healthy.

Growth hasn't been spectacular, but is steady. Stretch has been knocked on the head. It's all good.

I have boosted the light a smidgin now that the vegetative stage proper is beginning. This ups the DLI but also gives the opportunity to add a small amount of red spectrum to the blue and white.

Onwards, wee girls!

large.DSC01610.jpeglarge.DSC01611.jpeglarge.DSC01612.jpeg

• Like 11

Day 21

Well the grow is getting all messed up. Lower leaves on both seedlings have turned brown over the past week, starting in the central leaf stem and spreading out. Growth has slowed to a crawl.

This is the third time in a row I’ve had issues at the seedling stage. Must be something (or several things) I’m doing wrong. Probably a combination of factors, most likely overwatering plus nutrient toxicity/lockout. Not temperatures, I’m keeping those at a steady 25ºC. Maybe I underestimated how easy it could be to overwater in these small pots. Not enough medium to even out any mistakes. 

It’s not looking good for these two girls.  I will struggle on with them, but I’m also going to pop another couple of seeds to be on the safe side. Think I’ll just start them in their final pots this time, try harder not to drown them, and we’ll see how it goes. 

Bah, bother and balderdash! 

large.IMG_20221205_182736.jpeglarge.IMG_20221205_182809.jpeglarge.IMG_20221205_182818.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 5

quick fix for you as id hate to see you lose them..

get some kitchen roll..and gently tip the plant and medium out and wrap it in kitchen roll ..draw some of the moisture out of the medium..then put it back in the pot ..being carefulnot to knock the medium off the roots..

itll only get worse the longer they stay wet ..i should know ..i did the same thing this year ..lol ..

• Like 2

I took @vince noir rock n roll star's advice. However on removing the girls from the pots, the soil did not seem very moist. If anything a bit on the dry side. Which makes sense because last watering was on Friday. The roots seem reasonably well developed also. What I did see was there was an air gap at the sides of the original fibre pots, where soil had not filled in. So I popped them back in the pots, but made sure soil filled those gaps. 

I've also planted another couple of seeds. We'll see how the original two girls get on, if they survive and the next two sprout and grow successfully, then the overall plan can stay the same, I'll just be training four plants to the screens instead of two.

Dimmed the light a bit and removed red spectrum for the time being. Also dialled the thermostat down slightly, to better suit the seed germination without getting too cold.

Ah well, a wee bit of drama livens up the grow experience... :rolleyes:

large.IMG_20221205_223321.jpeglarge.IMG_20221205_223942.jpeglarge.IMG_20221205_231541.jpeg

• Like 8

they'll be nice and toasty on their heat mat :smokin:

I on the other hand couldnt get the temp up in the storage box in the loft, so have had to put me noodle in a carboard box with a small led and have it hid under the dining room table, not ideal but it will keep her happy till I warm her new digs up 

• Like 1

Oh dear! That doesn't sound great. Hope the noodle will be happy there... :) 

I picked up a couple of ceramic bricks from a storage heater. Somebody was chucking them out. Heavy as hell, but I am thinking they might be useful for stabilising temperatures. I'll maybe put them on the heat mat once the new seeds have grown a wee bit...

• Like 1