Crow River

Oh aye, one benefit of the seeds being generously sponsored is not worrying too much if things go a bit pear shaped... :yep:

• Like 1

Weekly update.

The new seedlings are doing fine. Healthy, growing steadily. Topped up their soil to give them a bit of a boost when watering on Friday.

The older girls are not so great. The smaller of the two is slowly declining, another set of leaves has brown necrotic strips spreading from the centre, the leaves are basically dead. No new growth, but the uppermost leaves are still alive. The larger girl is still growing, but not much. There is one more leaf, not visible in the photo, that is suffering a similar fate to the ones on the smaller girl. So it's possible the larger girl will survive, but not very healthy overall. They both got a top dress of fresh soil on Friday and some water.

I've been trying to figure out what went wrong with these two, and the problems seem to have started early on. They were too far from the light while tiny seedlings, which led to crazy stretch, the stretch was buried when potted up, but that left roots low down where they were prone to getting waterlogged. Then I added liquid seaweed, probably at too high a concentration, which appears to have made things worse.

In contrast, the two new girls have been in the final pots from seed, nothing added except a soil top-up earlier in the week. They were at the correct distance from the light all along.

So it seems the main lesson from all this is to keep things simple when growing in small pots. :yep:

I'll see how the smaller of the older girls gets on over the coming days, but if she gets worse I'll put her out of her misery. The bigger one might follow her depending on events.

large.IMG_20221220_015358.jpeg

• Like 8

Ach, the wee yin will be fine @Crow River:) the worst has past :) you can see it's fresh tips coming out. The second damaged one is about to get going :)

Mibbies just a tad too much watering? are you waiting till the pots are feather light?

• Like 2

Just now, Head Rose'n'Tail said:

Mibbies just a tad too much watering? are you waiting till the pots are feather light?

Yeah, I check the pots a couple of times a week. Water to runoff, get rid of the runoff. We'll see what happens but it's not looking good for the girl at the back right...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crow River said:

I've been trying to figure out what went wrong with these two

Could it be those little cardboard pots you started them in? I've had them mess things for me before in the past. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Yeah, I check the pots a couple of times a week. Water to runoff, get rid of the runoff. We'll see what happens but it's not looking good for the girl at the back right...

Hand sprayed from the top they would get 10-15 scooshes at that size in soil from me mate, make the roots search for moisture. Leave the saturation stage out until they are a bit more established :yep:  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Water to runoff, get rid of the runoff.

Your in compo, why are you doing this? Your plants are way to small for that amount of water.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Could it be those little cardboard pots you started them in? I've had them mess things for me before in the past. 

Could well be a factor. When potting up they were maybe too snug a fit, and air spaces were left at the sides. May have led to the soil below being over saturated with water. When I took them out a couple of weeks ago, I tried to sort this out. 

Anyway, yeah not ideal to pot up to a pot not much bigger than these. Have used them for ages with no issues but usually potting up into something much bigger.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Green Manalishi said:

Your in compo, why are you doing this? Your plants are way to small for that amount of water.

Trying to conform to the wet/dry cycle. Point taken though, probably too much for the girls.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Head Rose'n'Tail said:

Hand sprayed from the top they would get 10-15 scooshes at that size in soil from me mate, make the roots search for moisture. Leave the saturation stage out until they are a bit more established :yep:  

Will do. I was using the spray bottle when they were in the wee fibre pots, but switched to watering to runoff after potting up. Probably switched way too early...

• Like 1

Thanks folks for the advice on watering. In my defence, I had anticipated that the two older girls would grow faster, and be able to handle 'standard' watering. When I took them out of their pots, the roots seemed quite well established so I discounted watering issues at the time. As it is, I've been flooding them out once or twice a week. :wallbash: Should have modified the watering after first problems appeared I suppose. Will see if a spray bottle approach helps them recover...

• Like 2

lol

Welcome to the PNC gang @Crow Riverlol we're a friendly bunch in this section lol always got each others back's :yep:

Wait till he gets to the watering problems during flower, eh lads? lollollol

• Like 2

Just now, Head Rose'n'Tail said:

Wait till he gets to the watering problems during flower, eh lads?

Cheers dude. Flowering is a way off yet, thankfully. Need to get them to the stage where they can be topped first.....sometime next year at this rate! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Crow River said:

When I took them out of their pots

Out of the cardboard pots? That would have been seriously traumatic for the roots, which would have slowed them down a lot. Add a bit of waterlogging to the mix and you've got anaerobic soil and rotting roots. 

Luckily their photos so not a lost cause. Just let them dry right out before giving them anything else and tread very carefully when you do :yep:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

They'll be fine mate, just keep them moist just now and you'll have 4 contenders going into the new year :yep: topping could be a while off yet though :)

• Like 1