Crow River

Some readers might be aware that I've been trying to get a vertical grow started for a wee while. I thought that it might be an idea to combine that aspiration with the Pot Noodle grow. 

So the idea is to grow two plants from the Seedstockers Triton Biscotti Lime, and train them to a trellis around three sides of a small tent. This might mean that the veg period needs to be quite long, to fill out the screen before flipping to 12/12. Could be an interesting challenge with a relatively small pot and restricted roots. We'll see how it goes. :) One thing I'll need to get right is watering, especially as the girls get larger. I might use an automatic system, but not my usual Blumats as the pots are so small I need as much soil as possible.

Initially I'm just using a cheap combo COB + blurple grow light that I picked up from Amazorg for not a lot. As the girls grow up the trellis, I'll add in "corn cob" LED bulbs mounted vertically. The hope is that growth and yield can be maximised in a small space.

Some basic details below, then some pics.

Tent: Black Orchid Hydro Box 50x50x100

Lights: 110W COB/blue/red LED with dual dimmers, plus 2 x 54W "corn cob" LED bulbs (6500K for veg,  3000K for bloom)

Medium: Westlands MPC with John Innes, plus perlite and vermiculite

Nutrients: Miracle Gro for veg, tomato feed for bloom

4" extraction fan and carbon filter

120mm PC fan for circulation

Heat mat and tube heater, controlled by Inkbird

Heated propagator for germination and early seedling stage

I planted two seeds in moistened soil mix in fibre/peat pots, as is my habit. They are now in the heated propagator in the tent, and the light has been dimmed to its lowest setting, with the red spectrum switched off.

Now I wait for the seeds to sprout... :) 

large.DSC01606.jpeglarge.DSC01607.jpeglarge.DSC01608.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 12

Good luck with the competition @Crow River I had considered the vertical scrog but in such a small space I don't think my board would light the sides too well, those corncob's should do nicely though!

I saw those fusion pot noodles how do they compare to the classic offering?

• Like 2

@Shumroom, @Exhale, thanks folks. 

I thought I'd cleaned that tent bucket, but then when I saw the photos... :) Never mind, still time for a good scrub before too long.

I was searching for an LED equivalent of HPS/MH bulbs, and these "corn cob" LEDs appear to fit the bill. You can get higher rated bulbs that are literally designed to replace them, but given my small space I went with lower spec ones. I decided not to use the term ScrOG, even though it might be technically correct. Mainly because I'll be tying the plants onto the screen, rather than tucking and re-tucking them under and through the screen. Seems to me it's more similar to traditional trellising for roses, vines, fruit trees and so on. But maybe I'm just fussing about nowt much there. :D 

As for the fusion pots, they're not bad. I mostly get them in for my son, but I've tried the Thai green curry one and it's decent. My favourite is still the old school beef and tomato though... :) 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

Been checking on the propagator every day, and it seems overnight the two wee girls broke the soil. :) One still has a seed casing attached to a cotyledon leaf, if it doesn't fall away of its own accord I'll give a helping hand.

So, it's game on! :yep: We'll call this Day 1 of the grow.

large.DSC01609.jpeg

• Like 11

Had to help the wee girl on the left, as she was trapped in the soft inner seed lining. Easy enough to take off, now they'll both grow properly. Light up to 50% of blue/white spectrum now, on 18/6 schedule.

While I was waiting for the seeds to sprout, I started to install the vertical screens around the tent. Also put drainage holes in the noodle pots. Will post pics of the full environment once these two girls are ready to pot up.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Crow River said:

@Revive, cheers mate. Early days yet, but the wee girls are growing fast. We'll see how they get on...

Pulling up a chair for the journey dude :yep:

• Like 1

trellis ? ...like a portcullis on a castle ...excellent ..the kingdom has found its head doorman ..husssahhh!

• Like 1

A wee update on the girls. 

They have stretched about double the height from yesterday, look more like cress than cannabis. :rolleyes: I've taken the cover off the propagator, and boosted the light to 80% (still white and blue only). Hopefully that will control the stretch better.

Might pot them up soon into the noodley things.

E2A:- Propped the propagator up on my trusty plastic crate, brings the girls to the recommended distance from the light. 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

@Exhale, I'll take some pics during the potting up. Nobody wants to see runaway stringy cress... :) 

@MindSoup, cheers. Very early stages, need to see how things go. Managing lighting, water and nutrients later on will be challenging I reckon.

Edited by Crow River