Crow River

@blerie420, funny you should say that, I did ponder flushing with peroxide to oxygenate the soil. Good shout, might well try it. Have to say the four existing girls are looking a bit perkier in the trough planter. 

I will be watching the new seedlings like the proverbial bird of prey mind you, as soon as they sprout... :) 

• Like 2

Yeah I'd say it's a shout.

My mate had drainage issues the xmas before last, he was near tears when I fed his girls a peroxide flush "they're already soaking ffs" a week later and two flushes they were firing on all cylinders. 

He still doesnt listen to me when I'm right now though lol

• Like 2

@blerie420, some people just won't be told I guess... :) 

I'm going to let the girls settle in for another day and then maybe peroxide will give them a wee boost.

• Like 1

@Crow River i no right, what can I do bro just gotta pay the fukers..on a smart meter and I use a debit card to top up online when I need it so maybe that's why lol smart for them but not for me :doh:

Yeah wrapped my tent too dude made a big difference and have my inkbird set to 26.5c..

Good luck with the germination man, hope to see a busy tent some time soon :yep:

• Like 3

Just now, Crow River said:

@Revive, thanks mate. I'm kinda hoping the only way is up now for this grow after these few wee mishaps... :D 

It wouldn't be half as much fun without a few twists and turns buddy :yep:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Revive said:

It wouldn't be half as much fun without a few twists and turns buddy :yep:

Suppose it makes for some free entertainment if nowt else... :) 

• Like 2

Both seeds germinated successfully.

The existing girls look much happier in the trough planter, it must be said. No more leaf die back, new growth, healthy green foliage.

• Like 5

Weekly update.

Day 7 for the two seedlings. They’re doing just fine so far.

They will probably be re-potted soon. Still staying in the Pot Noodle containers, but with extra soil. I think I have figured out what went wrong last time. I “buried” the stretchy stems, leaving the roots near the bottom of the pots where they could get a bit too wet. It’s a habit from potting up into much larger containers, which doesn’t work well in a small pot.  I just wasn’t thinking things through properly. This time I’ll remove the girls, fill the bottom of the pot with fresh soil mix, then re-pot on top. I won’t bother to sort out the wee stretchy stems, save for perhaps a slight top dress. Hopefully this will mean the roots can fill out the pots properly and the girls won’t stall.

I’ll select the more vigorous of the two, she will stay in the noodle pot. The less vigorous seedling will be treated to a larger container, which hopefully will allow her to realise some latent potential.

I’m also happy to report that the four ex-Noodle girls are thriving. Clearly a bit of extra root space has helped. So has a decent feed, plus a soak with peroxide to oxygenate the soil. I will have to start training them soon, and topping isn’t far away for the two taller girls.

With six plants, the tent is starting to whiff of weed, so the extraction has been gradually increased this past week, from 15 minutes twice a day to every 3 hours. If things get more crowded I’ll switch to every 2 hours, then every hour, then just 24/7 extraction.

Another five weeks of veg before flipping to 12/12 in mid-February. Looks like this still might be a vertical grow, possibly the best way to keep all these girls manageable… :)

Until next time.

large.IMG_20230110_201353.jpeglarge.IMG_20230110_201506.jpeglarge.IMG_20230110_201451.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 8

Ahh man great to see the plants are back on track! Makes sense to be fair, I just had a plant go downhill from early on due to the same thing I think, buried the stem and it just meant the roots ended up too wet. Anyways, nice to see you figured it out :)

• Like 2

@Rustybiff, yeah just goes to show how unthinking habits can lead to disaster. Reckon it's the way I killed off a couple of seedlings last year too. I even have a name for it now: Small Pot Syndrome. 

Note to self: Think before doing what you did before, it might not work this time, in these circumstances.

• Like 2

Samurai Chef time there @Crow River bud :) . Since nobody's watching :eek:, cut those out the tub in a pot noodle shape and get them back in the pots mate lol

Move along folks....... Nothing to see here lol

• Like 3

Well as a compulsive non thinker I have a different name for it.. small brain syndrome :bangin:

I reckon the consequences vary depending on the medium, I've found clover is mega forgiving but it comes with the guilt of using peat... 

• Like 2

@Head Rose'n'Tail, now then. Sounds a bit too much like cheating to me, friend. Not that I'm expecting to win owt, but fair play and all that jazz. :) 

At least the girls are happy now and I might even get some decent bud out of them eventually. Result!

As to the seedlings, if I'm a bit more careful with them then hopefully they'll turn out alright by April...

@Rustybiff, it's not the size of the brain, but whether it's pointing thoughts in the right direction. Mine was obviously on autopilot for the last few attempts... :rolleyes:

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

Yeahhh they're looking banging now! 

I've avoided the wet root problem so far because I'm in coco but I think I'll pay for that in flower on the other end lol

• Like 1