Crow River

Last mini update for this week. 

I took all the girls out of their pots to have a peek at the root balls. The younger girls in particular have strong looking roots that are starting to circle around the base of the pots. The older girls' roots are not quite as vigorous, but still look fairly healthy. Earlier issues with air gaps around the fibre pots seem to have been sorted out. 

Pictures below. One of the younger girls was quite dry, and the upper part of the soil crumbled away when I removed her from the pot. I have given them all a water after placing back in their pots. 

The reason I wanted to see the roots and the soil is that the younger girls have started to get pale lower leaves over the past couple of days. It doesn't appear to be overwatering this time. I've hardly been watering them at all. I'm wondering if they're hungry?

Smaller young girl

large.IMG_20221229_004819.jpeglarge.IMG_20221229_004831.jpeg

Bigger young girl

large.IMG_20221229_005259.jpeglarge.IMG_20221229_005304.jpeg

Smaller old girl

large.IMG_20221229_005736.jpeglarge.IMG_20221229_005745.jpeg

Bigger old girl

large.IMG_20221229_010055.jpeglarge.IMG_20221229_010103.jpeg

• Like 5

Wasn't going to post again until next week, but unfortunately things are not going that great for the younger girls. They are starting to show some of the same symptoms as the older two.

Given that the roots of both seem quite vigorous, I'm thinking this may be nutrient deficiencies (Nitrogen, Potassium), possibly made worse by some overwatering earlier. As they are now three weeks old, I'm going to try some grow nutes with the next watering, which might be several days away. 

Despite the heat mat, ceramic bricks and tube heater, temperatures are on the lower side and have not reached the target of 26ºC for a few days. Although the weather's not as cold as it was last week, it's quite windy and the tent is near an outside wall. So the air coming in via the passive intake is probably cooler than elsewhere in the room. I can't imagine this is really helping things.

I've boosted the light a bit, which might warm the tent up a bit, and also maybe encourage faster growth. I look at other folks' diaries and see plants growing fairly normally, and it's a bit frustrating seeing this glacial pace and the problems. Ah well, we'll see how it goes. Not chucking in the towel just yet. As I said when I entered, I'm just in this for the opportunity to try it out, and hopefully all four girls will survive and get a bit bigger... :) 

That really is it now until next week, promise. :D

large.IMG_20221229_224259.jpeg

• Like 3

Alright mate, sorry to see your still having problems with the TBL

I generally feed after week 3 but these pots are so fookin small there cant be much neuts in em.

I forget where your tent is, assume loft/garage/shed due to struggle with temps - can you slow the extraction and or wrap tent in a duvet, youll be surprised how well one keeps the heat in and the kids will just have to do without - christmas is over!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

Alright mate, sorry to see your still having problems with the TBL

I generally feed after week 3 but these pots are so fookin small there cant be much neuts in em.

I forget where your tent is, assume loft/garage/shed due to struggle with temps - can you slow the extraction and or wrap tent in a duvet, youll be surprised how well one keeps the heat in and the kids will just have to do without - christmas is over!

Cheers mate.

Yeah my rule of thumb is 3 weeks too, that's what the manufacturer of the compost says as well. If I'd thought about it though, I've got perlite and vermiculite in there, so it's only 70/80% compost at most. I should have started feeding earlier, but the older girls are so small. Now I've seen all the roots though, I reckon they're all hungry, or more like starving!

Healthy looking roots seems to rule out serious overwatering too, I'd not expect them to be so well developed in that case, and to see signs of rot. It might just be they're not getting enough nutrients.

As for the temperatures, it's a bit of a puzzle as I was managing 25ºC a week or more ago. Must be the wind chill on the outside wall. The tent's in a room that's not lived in, it's mostly storage. There is a radiator but it's nowhere near the tent. I'll see what I can do about insulation, and maybe switch the extraction to once every 2 or even 4 hours instead of once an hour. Then possibly air temps will stabilise a bit.

E2A:- Well that's odd. Just checked temps and they're a reasonable 25.5ºC just now. Maybe boosting the lights a bit did the trick, the COB bulb in particular gives off some heat.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Keep the extraction on constantly but at a very low rate - having it on /off will bounce your temps about.

not sure what light schedule your on but having the light on 24/0 will even out your temps. 

Im in the loft and have 100mm of rockwool around the bottom 2 foot and a king size quilt over the top to keep the heat in.

• Like 1

im glad im not the only one ,,ive been pondering a lot on this ..those lower leaves etc ..die back ..i wonder if its an equatorial sativa in the lineage .i say this because ..after the die back of leaves when in flower its sprouting new ones along the stem ..it may be that its one of them strains that uses up its leaf nutrients before taking from the soil ..just bbrain farts ..

• Like 1

i just checked the lineage on seedfinder ...man they shoulda called this strain heinz 57 varieties its got so much in it ..and yes theres an african sativa in there somewhere .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

Keep the extraction on constantly but at a very low rate - having it on /off will bounce your temps about.

not sure what light schedule your on but having the light on 24/0 will even out your temps. 

Im in the loft and have 100mm of rockwool around the bottom 2 foot and a king size quilt over the top to keep the heat in.

My fan is not variable speed, it's just a basic cheap on/off thing. Lights are on 18/6 currently. I did consider 24/0 but I feel the plants benefit from a dark period.

Temperatures seem to reach the target (or near enough) in the second half of lights on, and about 20ºC lights off. There is a fall of a couple of degrees in air temperature when extraction comes on, but soil temps are fairly steady around 23/24 lights on, bit less lights off. That has taken a wee bit though, since I lowered the plants, boosted the light, and the ceramic bricks warmed up...

I'm looking into insulation, but as the bricks are pretty heavy the floor is the least likely to be insulated just yet because of the faff of having to remove everything first. Can't just lift tent up with those bricks in there, it will tear...

57 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

Plants that small would be happy for days in a tent with no extraction.  As yer no doubt opening it quite often, that's all the exchange you need.

Personally I stopped using my extraction for the first 3 weeks when the bills went up.  Be fuct if I'm extracting all that money/heat.

Good luck with it.

Aye there's no smell coming off them yet, so it's just for air exchange. I check in on them once a day on average, so might just switch extraction off for a bit, or put in on a very reduced schedule like once a day during lights on... :yep:

E2A:- Okay so I took your advice. I changed the timer so extraction just comes on for 15 minutes a couple of hours before lights off. With that and me peeking in late evening, should maybe be enough at this point...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

On 28/12/2022 at 11:53 AM, blerie420 said:

used some for a gg couple years back thinking the great outdoors would decay them in time.. wrong!

Your right mate most of them dont break down at all or just take fuking ages.. however the original ones by jiffy that are made of peat i believe and not some shitty cardboard fibre crap break down fine.. most company's call them jiffy fibre pots but only the patented ones are any good :yep:

• Like 4

20 hours ago, vince noir rock n roll star said:

im glad im not the only one ,,ive been pondering a lot on this ..those lower leaves etc ..die back ..i wonder if its an equatorial sativa in the lineage .i say this because ..after the die back of leaves when in flower its sprouting new ones along the stem ..it may be that its one of them strains that uses up its leaf nutrients before taking from the soil ..just bbrain farts ..

Well there might be something to that right enough. Looking at other folks' diaries, most of my problems appear to be my own fault one way or another. Just not used to dealing with such small pots at this stage in a grow. Maybe I'll grow out a TBL bean "normally" and see what the real character of this strain is.....need to set up another tent first though.

• Like 4

I tried 4 beans after my girl sprouted and all died - couldnt get the seed cases off and ended up beheading them :execute:

hope to get a couple of clones off of the TBL pot noodle but Ive got plenty of Joshua cuttings trying to root at the minute.

• Like 1

I am in the process of vegging up a TBL, 

I had problems early on due to not buffering the coco/perlite mix. 

But she's doing well now :)

I can put up a picture of her, 

Or you can check out my diary if you want. 

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/424236-triton-biscotto-lime-plus-mack-and-crack/

Atb 

Have a great Hogmanay and all the best for 2023 :D

:yinyang:

• Like 4

@Shumroom, I did recall you had a TBL diary on the go, I am following with interest now. :) 

@RUFUS HOUND bad luck with the sprouts mate. :shock: Mine were all fine in early stages, I just fucked them up later on... :rolleyes: I was hoping to be at the topping and cloning stage by now - yeah right, fat chance! :D 

• Like 2