Is no till worth it?

Hazeytones

Hi @mindsoup cheers for the advice I know ecothrive have teamed up with indoor organics to make the ecolife but indoor organics seem to do there own mix called soil for life and if I remember correctly when I was talking to them before the soil for life uses coco instead of peat and also has biochar... Do you think this would be a better mix? I was also lead to believe that it's maybe more cost effective to buy premixed once you take into account buying the ammendments... Maybe not although I wouldn't fancy fuckin the mix up and quitting before really seeing what it's all about. So think a pre mix might be the way I'd go.... But it is definitely expensive to start. 

I also was looking at the blusoak but I don't know have to run it with a pump or off the mains water supply. I'd rather a gravity fed system from a reservoir if that would be possible for a 4x2 bed? 

I'm far from an expert on soil but I'm sure they know what they're doing and as you say to start with you might have more confidence just using a pre mix, it would definitely be a lot more convenient. 

Not sure about blusoak @FarmerPalmersNT uses it iirc so he can give you the run down. 

E2A or was it @lildaveham

Edited by MindSoup

I have used blusoak yeah. I've had a nightmare past year so not sure it's a good reference. I had HPLVD in the bed from a Durban clone. It turned into a pythium secondary issue because the plants were fucked. So - one major downside of notill - that meant the bed was fucked for ages while I treated it with Trichoderma, dried it out a bit, then Trichoderma again.

Anyway the point of this... The blusoak hose, being basically a hose that will always contain at least a bit of water was a serious reinfection risk. I also didn't want ANY reserves of water in the bed for the foreseeable. So the cones came out too. That means I'm back to hand watering.

Up to that point the blusoak was superb. Very, very easy to regulate, beautiful consistency and great root growth. But, since my trauma I'm now (probably excessively) avoiding any reservoirs of water in my grow until I'm totally pythium free for a year or so. 

Most people would probably restart their beds at this point but that's a lot of soil, time, expense plus I've got an ant colony, orchids and scorpions to consider.

• Like 6

Cheers @farmerpalmersnt (sorry can't seem to tag) but yeah this is what sort of worrys me a bit about no till it seems like if it goes wrong it can be more of a hassle to get sorted.

I would be happy enough to hand water myself but just whether I would over/underwater causing more problems. 

@Hazeytones as you write @name boxes should appear below with options as to the person you want to tag, you need to click on their name, and it will turn gold like yours has here.

Just now, ratdog said:

@Hazeytones as you write @name boxes should appear below with options as to the person you want to tag, you need to click on their name, and it will turn gold like yours has here.

Cheers @ratdog the name box appears but the names don't load up... It was working before but most of the time it doesn't and I can't skip through pages either... Must be my phone I dunno... 

Just now, Hazeytones said:

Must be my phone I dunno... 

peeps are having issues with the browsers they are using on here, i had issues with firefox and duckduckgo on my pc, i ditched the duck and haven't had any issues at all since, but i never use my mobile for here.

Edited by ratdog
change os for browser

I dunno sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. I don't have a pc to try it on... I've never owned a computer and don't plan on it any time soon.... Bit of a caveman really... A bit of weed and a bit of music suits me. Maybe it will sort itself out. :smokin:

• Like 1

Duckduckgo browser on Android is working well for me ATM. 

Yeah to be fair that is the downside of no till, if a problem arises you can't just nuke everything and reset (well actually you could if it was really drastic and then just restore biology with some WCs etc), so preventive action is the best way to go, but of course that isn't always possible. However buying in new compost from time to time has its own risks (badly stored, fungus gnats etc) and hydro has a list as long as your arm of things that can go wrong. So it's swings and roundabouts in me eyes. 

On the whole pythium/reservoir things I did wonder about the possibility of UV sterilisation, either in the res itself or inline on the way to the Blumats. Not sure if it would translate to blusoak as there would be more water being sat in a warm environment after the steriliser. 

Still to me at least the benefits more than outweigh and possible issues you might face. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Duckduckgo browser on Android is working well for me ATM. 

@MindSoup just downloaded duckduckgo and all seems OK now

Cheers dude :yep:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah to be fair that is the downside of no till

This might seem like a funny point to some, but I would say the watering is also the downside of no till. In theory, it should be easier, but for me it ends up much harder.

I either have to be visiting my girls to water them twice daily or I have to have an automated dripper system setup to look after them. One slip up with this and you kill off the life in your pot.

Normal soil at least is more forgiving in that sense. Two failed attempts at no till now, both ended the same way. Dry pots :(

There's something else going on there dude. Or you never hydrated it properly from day 1. Iwater every other day. I can go 1 or even 2 weeks without watering depending on stage with no harm to the plants.

ETA, not recommended obviously. But more due to damage to the soil biota/microbiome than anything else.

Edited by FarmerPalmersNT
  • Like 3

Just now, FarmerPalmersNT said:

There's something else going on there dude. Or you never hydrated it properly from day 1. Iwater every other day. I can go 1 or even 2 weeks without watering depending on stage with no harm to the plants.

Well rooted plants drink a lot in my room bud. Got 11L pots drinking 2.5-3Ls a day atm. They go from run off to completely light in 24 hours. No way to water them any more unless I literally leave them sitting in inches of water. Tis very toasty in my room lol