Coco Grow Fed Once. Yes Once

Owderb

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

are you using it now? be cool if you had a diary with it, i'm just into flower with it atm

I'm not @ratdog but still have enough to do x10 pots.. I was in 10l Coir and was hand watering - testing ec and pH run off and recycling it for next watering at least a couple  of times

Now comes the tinkering... I would top the dress the plant with a bit more of the boost and base granules.. If the plants looked like they needed it or the ec dropped 

I'm sure you will be OK.. Its just hard to leave well alone.. I was using my own tap water (can vary across UK) that had been allowed to stand for 24 hours minimum

Good luck

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

I’ve in a round about way tried what you’ve said but it requires too much guess work. If there’s no run off you can’t test it. You’re hoping it’s about right.  I wouldn’t be comfortable going a week without seeing what’s in the pot. I know if I run enough through it’ll be what I want it to be. Besides I’d rather piss run off up the wall than grow the fucking abortions I did in that cacky muck …

a lot of USA folk would laugh at you testing runoff of coco. 

it’s not 100% absolute the runoff in coco but I find it a good judge to see if anything is coming your way during flowering. 

during veg I don’t often test the runoff. 

if you find you’re over feeding you can usually plot this in the runoff along with the gradual reduction of uptake that plants generally take towards the latter stages of flowering which shows as increasing EC in runoff from around week 7 of 12/12. 

It’s one of the reasons I end up feeding around my seedling EC levels by the end of flowering. 

• Like 1

You get used to what yer doing I suppose. It’s like muscle memory. I don’t test my run off a lot because, well, I’m getting run off. Unless I’ve had a massive dry back then I might have a look or just push some plain water through first to bring EC down. It’s serving me well so I’m loathe to change.

Just put the one pot pack ZBX in to the flower tent. Didn’t realise how big it had got. Whatever’s in that food is good for fat branching. See how she fairs …

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

just push some plain water through

Careful with this, you’ll mess with the cation exchange capacity, the positive charged ions in the coco, always water with feed, even a low feed is better than plain water.

• Like 3

Im thinking about using this Beanstalk with COCO on my next grow

i have terrible hard water with no magnesium, Calcium 96ppm and Magnesium 2ppm, 48/1 when it should be 3/1! 

Im currently using Growers ark Hardwater feed, and adding 0.15g/l of Epsom salts. 

If im switching to beanstalk can anyone smarter than me work out how much Epsom salt i would need to add? 

Also my water PH out the tap is 7.55. do i need to adjust this with Beanstalk? 

• 5 months later...

Well well well..... was perusing the site looking to see if growing in coco without having to use ph (am shit at it) tried once and failed miserably :)@ratdog I know you don't like ph either :) How did your plants turn out with the beanstalk stuff ?

Once I get up in the loft coco will be easier to get up there :)

I was actually looking for one of @Owderb's  grows and happened to come across this thread..... was meant to be I think :)

Vill

• Like 1

@stu914 swears by sensi pH perfect :) 

But that’s for hydro rather than coco,

but I think they do a coco version :war:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Villan said:

How did your plants turn out with the beanstalk stuff ?

it was good stuff mate, just don't let them get very big, mine went mental in coco (first time i've used it at 100%) and suffered with lack of nutes/deficiencies at the end so i fed ga for the last few weeks.

the recommended canopy limit per plant is 600mmx600mm

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I'll get some pics up in a few days but I've run 4 plants in the garden with beanstalk pellets and water via Blumat plugs. It's been amazing weather but I've never had it so easy with these pellets teamed up with Blumats in coco. 

Didn't even bother with extra mg, as they clearly love hard water.  

Anyone else using the beanstalk/blumat combo? 

Just now, Slippy One said:

but I've run 4 plants in the garden with beanstalk pellets

i hope they weren't very big before flowering? mine were quite big indoors and ran out of nutes mid flower, they reckon a 2ft square canopy is the biggest they should get. be prepared to feed if they have turned into monsters

@ratdognot monsters at all, poor things were tortured in 3.5L for 9 weeks before transferring them to bigger pots only half full. It’s breeding project for next years seeds, and blumats are a godsend in small pots, fuck they can drink though.. 

In a word: amazing.

Here’s my outdoor home breeding project using beanstalk flowering pellets, previously their vegging pebbles. Watering duties taken care of using a simple gravity feed Blumat tropf kit, where these thirsty gals can drink what they need to stay moist and no more. Filled the reservoir every 4/5 days but you won’t need a res if you hook up their outdoor tap feed, which I would do if going on holiday longer than a week. They’ve been happy since June, and although those pots are huge 12L ones, they’re only half full of coco and beanstalk so can drink many litres per day, or none when it’s rainy. 

happy beanstalking everyone, it’s a tiny amount of pebbles per pot, so tiny that I doubled the dose after double checking the weight. Seems they absolutely love this food, even at double doses, no yellow leaves or anything weird. :notworthy: 

just to add, my water has a nasty hardness with a 19:1 ratio of cal:mg. Haven’t added a single drop of mg liquid or salts all season, no need. 

like to say a big thanks to @Owderbfor that chance meeting at the expo and sharing the knowledge. :D 

large.IMG_2255.jpeglarge.IMG_2254.jpeglarge.IMG_2252.jpeglarge.IMG_2253.jpeglarge.IMG_2251.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

…just to add, these pellets do work with smaller pots for bonsai mums. I think these are 3.5L, and have been happily revegging since mid August with only tap water. 

I’ll update once the pellets are depleted, they say 90 days which is great. 

Anyone sceptical or worried about the costs, it’s literally pennies per pot, and the no runoff, no ph adjusting, no ec checking, and no nutrient weighing, mixing or wasting. 

I’ll never go back to the old way in coco. I’ll be flowering one of these mums in a week or two, and will update when done. 

large.IMG_2504.jpeg

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 6