Polytunnel autoflower

Crow River

Day 14 for the Auto Duck. 

Not really much growth from this wee girl the past few days. First true leaves are longer but the second set has not developed that much, when she should really be on her third by now. It's possible she's working to root out the yoghurt pot, and also may have been set back slightly by the transplant. Also it was quite overcast the last couple of days, so I topped up her light with a cool white LED bulb to approximate a 20/4 regime, just to encourage a bit more foliage. 

I will finally be going to the polytipnnel today, but I don't think I will transfer her there yet. Although the weather is lovely today and tomorrow, Monday is forecast to be quite cold. I will wait until Tuesday or Wednesday before moving her, let a bit more growth get established first. Longer term forecast is nice and mild so hopefully will lead to good stable conditions in the polytunnel to help her get settled in.

Bit of a patchy start for this girl, though looks healthy enough. Hoping she'll pick up a bit now she's getting some proper sun.

large.DSC01195.jpeg

• Like 6

@OldFord, thanks. :) 

Temperatures in the polytunnel yesterday were hitting 32ºC due to the sunshine. Potted up tomatoes into final pots, put out sundews to catch the fungus gnats. Will be treating soil with peroxide next visit to kill the larvae. Hopefully this girl will be ready to move by then.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

@Crow River  Yeah mate the temps were def up yesterday and the girls were loving it :yep:   Then it pissed all night lol 

Just cant win but im not bothered as its all part of the fun of what we love !

• Like 2

@OldFord, aye it's cold and misty today! The curse of living on the east coast, minute we get some nice sun the mist rolls in off the sea... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Overnight these two little ladies appeared at the edge of the yoghurt pot where the Auto Duck is growing. It seems that perhaps rather than mould, what appeared in the fabric pot earlier was mycelia of a fungus. Either that, or this is the result of spores in the soil, some remnants of pot contents (vegan "yoghurt"), or carried in on a breeze or my fingers.

Anyone know what species I'm looking at? Seems it may already have already dropped spores judging by the shape of the caps.

large.DSC01196.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crow River said:

Overnight these two little ladies appeared at the edge of the yoghurt pot where the Auto Duck is growing. It seems that perhaps rather than mould, what appeared in the fabric pot earlier was mycelia of a fungus. Either that, or this is the result of spores in the soil, some remnants of pot contents (vegan "yoghurt"), or carried in on a breeze or my fingers.

Anyone know what species I'm looking at? Seems it may already have already dropped spores judging by the shape of the caps.

large.DSC01196.jpeg

Good sign healthy soil? The only mushrooms i know are seps.

• Like 2

Just now, trichomehi said:

Good sign healthy soil? The only mushrooms i know are seps.

Yeah, I'm seeing it as a positive indicator. Just curious what they are... :) 

• Like 2

The wee girl will be moved to the polytunnel later this afternoon.

I'm considering popping another Auto Duck at the start of next month, to grow alongside this one. The idea is to have a staggered harvest, but also to avoid the smell getting too potent at any given time. I'm anticipating this first plant will be ready to harvest around the middle of August, whereas if I start another with a month gap we're looking at harvesting in later in September, factoring in the shrinking daylight as the year progresses.

• Like 4

Well best laid plans and all that.....only made it down to the polytunnel this evening. Things just got really busy and I suddenly had to deal with loads of stuff.

I was pleased to note that my tomatoes are coming along nicely, the courgette also. The sundews appear to have caught quite a few fungus gnats, I treated soil around existing plants with peroxide solution to eliminate larvae. Seedlings of peppers, chillis, aubergines and the wee Auto Duck were ferried to the polytunnel together. I potted up the wee girl with some mycorrhizal granules, and watered her in. I haven't installed the Blumat carrots yet, I'll let her settle in and add the Blumats in a couple of days. Photo below is just before watering.

large.6288197f1b240_IMG_20220520_184654copy.jpglarge.6288197db060c_IMG_20220520_184603copy.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Was down at the polytunnel today, day 29 for the Auto Duck.

Soil was rather dry, but the wee girl has grown a fair bit and looks very healthy. Gave her a good drench of water, then installed a couple of XL Blumats, fed from an adjacent 3.5 litre milk bottle as the reservoir. She's sitting in a 15 litre bucket, so those carrots should be about right to ensure soil doesn't get too dry.

It's a very stealthy strain this. You'd never know it was cannabis. The leaves are very different, and there is no smell, not even after rubbing leaves with fingers. My tomato plants have a stronger aroma. I suppose that might change during flower, but the tomatoes will be quite fruity by then too I should think. Also I have planters of aromatic herbs all around. 

I did take some pics, but with an old (2009 vintage) Sony Ericsson phone (it's my pocketable emergency phone) and they came out overexposed - nice shots of the soil though. :rolleyes: So no pics today that are presentable enough to post here, will be back in a couple of days so will try to take better ones then.

• Like 4

Visited the polytunnel again this evening. Wee Auto Duck is doing just fine. She's 32 days old. I'm curious to see how tall she'll get in a 15 litre bucket.

large.IMG_20220601_184805.jpglarge.IMG_20220601_184822.jpglarge.IMG_20220601_185010.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Auto Duck has reached Day 45.

She's grown to 85cm tall and looks really healthy. I think I spotted pre-flowers near the top of the plant. Still no smell, even when rubbing the leaves. She looks like a cross between a nettle, mint and a tomato plant. Really no clue that she's cannabis.

So far she's just had plain water. No nutrients other than the ones in the compost. Next visit I'll give her some grow feed.

large.62a90a4f600d9_IMG_20220614_172905copy.jpeglarge.62a90b18d12d0_IMG_20220614_172939copy(1).jpeglarge.62a90a5243482_IMG_20220614_173059copy.jpeg

• Like 10

Quite pleased with the Auto Duck so far, so I decided to pop another seed into soil. Now in the heated propagator alongside the Dr Jack Auto cutting. If all goes well this new Auto Duck should be finished up by the end of September, giving a staggered harvest with the one in the polytunnel now. That lady has around another eight weeks to go, so finishing around early August. May as well make the most of the long days of summer... :) 

large.DSC01295.jpeglarge.DSC01296.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 6