ALIEN V SYSTEM HELP

Puffdiddy

@zen-ken

That's good to hear, I'm not far off! 

Lights off is 19.8-20.9 as the heat kicks on and off. 

I'll drop the chiller to 19' 

I can up the air temp no problem - what do you think, 26 27? I'm using a little ceramic hot air fan - it'll dry the air a bit in sure - what's the most stable type of heating? Oil rads seem popular... Guess they don't dry the air as much... 

What's LST? 

7 minutes ago, Puffdiddy said:

@zen-ken

Its 20mm below the pot bottom 

Good..that should stop the rock wool from staying too wet....You may have to top water for a little while to promote some lateral rooting but it will be worth it.

Lights off temps are nice.

LST and VPD is a little light reading for you when you ready (I have some good research papers on it)

LST - Leaf surface temperatures 

VPD - vapour pressure deficit

• Like 1

@zen-ken

I felt the RW this evening and its bone dry untill the bottom half - I'll give them a water in the morning / lights are gonner have to stay up till I'm home tomorrow night. 

Can you share the VPD stuff? Right up my street :)

• Like 1

Brother....if you like the science then I can bombard you with stuff....I love it.

Start here https://manicbotanix.com

The site isn't keen on offsite links so I will have get some of the research papers Im collecting into a message in PDF :yep:

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Did you get water temps down?

I've always had the rule that it should be 19-21c.

I lost my last grow due to using 3" RW cubes, they got soaked, stems rotted, i gave up.....

Looking to start up again and do a DIY build.....

1 hour ago, takeiteazy said:

I've always had the rule that it should be 19-21c.

Spot on...trouble is, the water in the rockwool block will soon reach room temp which sort of defeats the chiller...:wallbash:...mad innit...:rofl:

If you fancy a diy build have a look in my mish-mash thread, I'm using pebbles and an automatic top watering system, working well...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stu914 said:

Spot on...trouble is, the water in the rockwool block will soon reach room temp which sort of defeats the chiller...:wallbash:...mad innit...:rofl:

If you fancy a diy build have a look in my mish-mash thread, I'm using pebbles and an automatic top watering system, working well...

I've lost 3 grows to RW!, The best method i think is direct from aerocloner straight into main pots, perhaps use RR cubes if ned be. The stuff would be soaked, i was putting RR into 3" cubes, when i squeezed them the amount of water they released was unreal! I was messing with PH/EC and water levels etc.. 

I did have a quick look at your mish mash thread but did not see a build as such? Is it more like an aeroponic system rather than a rdwc?

I need silence this build as location has changed and i've only ever done RDWC tbh and it's either been brilliant or a disaster.. lol

I hate washing pebbles....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, takeiteazy said:

I've lost 3 grows to RW!, The best method i think is direct from aerocloner straight into main pots, perhaps use RR cubes if ned be. The stuff would be soaked, i was putting RR into 3" cubes, when i squeezed them the amount of water they released was unreal! I was messing with PH/EC and water levels etc.. 

I did have a quick look at your mish mash thread but did not see a build as such? Is it more like an aeroponic system rather than a rdwc?

I need silence this build as location has changed and i've only ever done RDWC tbh and it's either been brilliant or a disaster.. lol

I hate washing pebbles....

You can use 3inch RW....but you have to root them out properly before they go in the system :yep:

large.62b02d990d990_IMG_3203Large.jpeg

(3inch rock wool with a few stones around it....no rot anywhere....roots looked epic on cut...not a problem anywhere even with the 34C temperatures) 

The bottom of that net pot was like a carpet at the end :thumsup:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2

@zen-ken so this is a diy alien by the looks, with 3" koi gear?

this is what i'm wanting to do, it looks simple enough tbh, just join up tubs (not sure what ones you have there?), and do a nice feed to each for a good flow rate.

Also looks like you have big airline going in there! is that black line it? 6mm  or something to a big HiBlow pump??

cheers

Just now, takeiteazy said:

@zen-ken so this is a diy alien by the looks, with 3" koi gear?

this is what i'm wanting to do, it looks simple enough tbh, just join up tubs (not sure what ones you have there?), and do a nice feed to each for a good flow rate.

Also looks like you have big airline going in there! is that black line it? 6mm  or something to a big HiBlow pump??

cheers

Bollox to the Hi-blow.....they shite....I have a Medo La45.....TBH tho the Hailea are better for stealth builds... @badbillybob whats the model number again? is it the 9820 thats the real quiet, high output one?

(billy will see you right here)...my Medo is running six lines but could probably run ten lol 

large_WMD.jpeglarge.WMD!.jpeg

• Like 2