ALIEN V SYSTEM HELP

Puffdiddy

@zen-ken

I can do that - but how much should I mix up at a time? 

I have a 500L resi and a waterbut not far away - I have some containers from 20L to 100L - but how would I add 100L of PhD water?? I'm not sure I follow this zen 

• Like 1

Just now, Puffdiddy said:

@zen-ken

Ref the CO2 

Well fuck my hat I should have spotted that... 

Of course.... That was lucky 

I'll have a look at some diarys and set up my own that would be great.  

On another note - light height! I have 2 x 630w Omega Luna pros and wondered at what height they should be now - the girls are taking off - got a whole new set of leaves on every plant in last 24 hours - lights are on the roof at 2.2 and canopy is at 580mm so was thinking should I drop the lights down? They are set at 40% ( should I start a new thread for this?? Utter newb question) don't wanna get spanked by @Owderb again ;)

Don't guess......your eyes are terrible light meters.....Use Photone (app) or Shane from Migro has some neat hacks with Lux meters to work out DLI.

Obviously an apogee meter from the legend that is professor Bruce Bugby is the order of the day but they are waaaaaaayyy overkill for a home grow imo and the app or lux meter will give you a good enough figure to work with :yep:

Remember a famous quote when asking questions:

'There are no stupid questions.....only stupid answers'

if your not sure on anything....just ask :yep: 

@zen-ken

Shit - I haven't factored my tap waters EC 

My system EC is 1 at the mo - has been very stable - but they have only got going - I get the feeling things are about to take off though... The root growth is last 24hours has been quite amazing too as well as the new growth up top - 

• Like 1

@zen-ken

I can do that - but how much should I mix up at a time? 

I have a 500L resi and a waterbut not far away - I have some containers from 20L to 100L - but how would I add 100L of PhD water?? I'm not sure I follow this zen 

(Continue to question anything as I dont come across very well sometimes)

What I was more referring to was making your initial mix for the week.

Mix your nutrients and get everything set. before you add it to the system....the key to RDWC is consistency.....No sudden jumps....Maintain a nice status quo.

Ph down can just be added for system maintenance gently in a couple of litres of water over half an hour as it has little antagonisms.......PH up/hydro silicon are very different  animals and need to be added very carefully as they antagonise and will drop out completely at high PH ranges.

Remember...the first few pots are gonna take the hit of any sudden increases of anything you subject the header to

:yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

@zen-ken

DLI - got the app 

What should I be looking for? Does this change with the plants growth stages? 

Or is it a number I should be trying to maintain - and is that with both brightness of light and height? How on earth does all that work? Jeebs  - rabbit hole just got way deeper - going to need a big r boat :skin_up:

• Like 1

@zen-ken

Shit - I haven't factored my tap waters EC 

My system EC is 1 at the mo - has been very stable - but they have only got going - I get the feeling things are about to take off though... The root growth is last 24hours has been quite amazing too as well as the new growth up top - 

Whats the Base EC of the water.....It may pay you to get a water report done so you can factor in the extra calcium and run it through hydrobuddy 

We don't have much wriggle room for NPK being out of ratio in RDWC

:yinyang:

@zen-ken 

Ref the adding - thankfully that's what I've done - I have another 500L ready and sitting pretty much excaly as the system - my plan was to try and get the resi just the same for my swap out on Thursday - incidentally - can I drain the whole system and then clean filters - then re fill? Last time it took an age to fill so I've got a pump now - like a flipping fire engine pump - should fill it in 20 instead of over an hour and a half using gravity from the resi next to the header 

• Like 1

@zen-ken

I'm.goimg.in to check DLI and then I'll check EC out the tap - I'll let you know both in a mo 

Thanks so much for your time and advice - you have been really really helpful 

• Like 1

@zen-ken

DLI - got the app 

What should I be looking for? Does this change with the plants growth stages? 

Or is it a number I should be trying to maintain - and is that with both brightness of light and height? How on earth does all that work? Jeebs  - rabbit hole just got way deeper - going to need a big r boat :skin_up:

Daily Light integral 

Think of it as marbles raining down and the DLI is how many marbles you collect in a day.

A usual DLI of around 45 is where I like to be .....PAR/PPFD is an awful way of measuring as it doesn't take into account the amount of hours you have the light on (24/0,18/6,12,12)

Obviously we collect more marbles in 24 hrs than we do in 12 so our DLI shows us the true amount of marbles hitting the plant.

Rough example:

At 18 hrs we are 24inches away......18 x par gives us our DLI

The same fixture on 12/12 is gonna have to be a lot closer to get our DLI 

This is thing that catches a lot of new growers out as the girls stretch like fuck as you have effectively cut the light by a third 

:yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

Just now, zen-ken said:

they are really great guys and love to help 

Awww...:wink_kiss:

You just keep on setting yourself up for it tonight bud....:rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

@zen-ken

SYSTEM 
PH 5.9 
Nutes Temp 21 (after chiller plumbed in)
EC 1 
Air temp 26'
Humidity 49

Lights 1500mm away on 40%
DLI 17 - 21 - differs widely 

Tap water
EC.4 
PH 7.0

Lots to do - given what you said about DLI - I think I'll drop them down to see if that raises it - or maybe just crank them up - what's the pros and cons on that? Is it that it jusy Costs more same result or more to it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Puffdiddy said:

@stu914

Was just thinking that :bangin:

Top info guys can i use these tips in my iws system as on my first grow so all info is much helped thanks

21 minutes ago, Puffdiddy said:

@zen-ken

SYSTEM 
PH 5.9 
Nutes Temp 21 (after chiller plumbed in)
EC 1 
Air temp 26'
Humidity 49

Lights 1500mm away on 40%
DLI 17 - 21 - differs widely 

Tap water
EC.4 
PH 7.0

Lots to do - given what you said about DLI - I think I'll drop them down to see if that raises it - or maybe just crank them up - what's the pros and cons on that? Is it that it jusy Costs more same result or more to it?

Ph is lovely now.

Nutes -  drop the chiller to 20c....19C being the absolute ideal trade of between root growth/DO and pathogen restriction. (never go below 15c or root growth just stops dead in its tracks)

Never go above 22C

EC - looks good ...at 0.4 base water you have 'normal' water so will not need the soft water version....A quick search of your water board could help reveal what levels Ca and Mg are at.

You should be good for a week or two at least before knocking it up a touch.

Air temp - Lovely....but as your using LED your LST is probably a little lower than that....don't be afraid to push it up a little.

Humidity -  again not bad 65% at your stage would be better but 50% is not disastrous.

Keep the DLI a little lower atm till they get going and then get it up to 40+

whats your lights off temp ?

• Like 2