Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

On a different note, to all of you who have been using them the longest, what’s your fill process? Do you hang the plant first for 24 hours and then put it in the fridge? Do you take fan leaves off? Just put it straight in with fan leaves off was what I was planning, then trim once dry. 
what have you guys found is a good way of doing it? 
Gona tag a couple of people on this also, just to get some different angles. And see what you guys do / works best.

@FarmerPalmersNT

@blackpoolbouncer

Edited by Shotgun185
Added tags

For those experienced users also, what settings would you use to dry as quickly as possible? Asking for a friend :smokin:

Edited by 5Lip

Fan leaves off, straight in. No hanging.

If you want to fast dry it you'll need to put less in and crank the dehumidifier to constant. But it will heat up and probably defeat the object a bit.

• Like 2

Just now, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Fan leaves off, straight in. No hanging.

If you want to fast dry it you'll need to put less in and crank the dehumidifier to constant. But it will heat up and probably defeat the object a bit.

Nice one mate for getting back to me, if I’m right, is it : set fridge around 14c

put it in and see where the r/h sits at after a little while and bring it down 1% a day from there? 

as this will stop to much heat.
I can’t see no point in flash drying it @5Lip, what’s the point in going to all this trouble then drying it really fast you might aswell just hang it in the tent with extraction on full Wack! :wallbash:

• Like 2

On 02/08/2023 at 4:50 PM, Shotgun185 said:

what’s the point in going to all this trouble then drying it really fast you might aswell just hang it in the tent with extraction on full Wack! :wallbash:

I'm going away for a few days and can't hold my own piss basically :yep:

• 2 weeks later...

We'll I'm back from my holiday and I've just smoked my first "properly" dried weed and can say to whoever is struggling with the whole dry / cure issue that this conversion definitely makes a significant difference to the quality of your end product and is worth the investment  :skin_up:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if using the cooler has changed your trimming routine? I've always dry trimmed and hated it :wallbash: but was sort-of forced into doing so in order to slow the drying process (leaving leaves on achieves this right)

I'm thinking about wet trimming my next lot as I do find it easier 

• Like 1

I have to say, because of the near total control with this drying method, I'd be tempted to wet trim or to remove the trays and hang the buds in there.  Once the bud has been lying on a surface to dry, the leaves become gummed to the bud and very hard to trim - I found.

I'd lose out on the dry sift hash I collect as I dry trim, but I would get a better trim imho.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@FarmerPalmersNT hoping I could pick your brain or anyone else on here. I plan on making one of these.

If I can work it out would it be better to vent the warm air the dehumidifier puts out out of the cooler? Or would that cause some issues?

love the work you all have done.

32 minutes ago, Americanidiot said:

@FarmerPalmersNT hoping I could pick your brain or anyone else on here. I plan on making one of these.

If I can work it out would it be better to vent the warm air the dehumidifier puts out out of the cooler? Or would that cause some issues?

love the work you all have done.

I'm sure some of the others will chime in but it's all about being a sealed unit, as soon as you introduce vent you break the seal and can't maintain the humidity you need to for the perfect dry

On 13/10/2023 at 9:17 PM, Americanidiot said:

Yes it would be "better" but not really  worth the effort. 

You'd have to strip down the dehumidifier and have the cold side of the peltier on the inside of the fridge with the hot side on the outside of the fridge and then have 2 sperate fans to blow air against them individually.

All you'd really achieve in the real world is a slightly more energy efficient setup though, technically you'd be able to drop the humidity in bigger steps without overloading the fridges cooling ability, but for our purposes that wouldn't actually have any use/benefits as we want a nice slow dry. 

As for trimming I strip everything but the sugar leaves off mine before they go in the fridge, but I don't see why you couldn't do a full wet trim. Like you say the main benefit of leaving everything on the plant is to slow the drying process down, but we can do that in a much more controlled manor as it is. In theory the less material you olput in the fridge the less work the dehumidifier and in turn the fridge has to do, so less KWHs. 

And yes, hanging  the branches does stop them getting squished and the leaves getting stuck to them, but I find it a fair bit more awkward of a job to fill the fridge, when I used to do it I'd put a shelf in at the top and then use mini bulldog clips to hang the branches. Give it a try see which way you prefer. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

No image to illustrate sadly, but after doing the last dry with my dehumidifier at full height (meaning two shelves needed holes cut out of them) I have taken inspiration from @blackpoolbouncer and ripped up the little unit to make it less than half the height and to expose the condenser fins which are now sitting over the curer's gulley at the back of the fridge.  I can now put a full mesh over the shelf that was previously disrupted and fit another ounce or two in the unit. Happy days!

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

Ive been seeing this thread pop up loads but never looked in as i thought it was some crackpot converting a wine cooler to grow in lol I started reading it last night and was up till 02.30am and now ive finished it and im kicking myself for not looking in sooner especially since having a mare trying to dry in june but i have 4 coming down in november so im gonna give this a whirl

Shout out to everyone thats made this possible seeing as me like buttons not working :clapping:

• Like 2

Can someone tell me what dehumidifier i need again as the sites only letting me see the first 4 pages and the last one and it wont let me go back