Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

I don’t know where you’re finding a freeze dryer for that price..!? Did you miss a zero off?

• Like 1

I’m keen to try too, but for the cost and effort, I can’t find a wine cooler

big enough to handle enough weed…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dreamer420 said:

I don’t know where you’re finding a freeze dryer for that price..!? Did you miss a zero off?

No, it is listed as half price though.

But twice the list price plus in dollars or four times, so yeah, likely a scam as you suggest.

Edited by MidgeSmith

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that freeze drying is a suitable method for our harvests :no:

We want our buds to retain around 58% moisture in order to cure.

I think where it would come in very handy would be when it comes to making extracts.

Check out the handy work of @PureSmkr :notworthy:

Atb

:yinyang:

8 hours ago, Shumroom said:

I could be wrong but I don’t believe that freeze drying is a suitable method for our harvests :no:

We want our buds to retain around 58% moisture in order to cure.

I think where it would come in very handy would be when it comes to making extracts.

Check out the handy work of @PureSmkr :notworthy:

Atb

I agree it sounds like a nonsense, but Ed Rosenthal among others suggests it works (extremely well) and endorses someone's expensive freeze drier.  His was the first book I had - and got confiscated - I don't get how it can work, for the reasons you give. However, I've read a few heads saying it's the best and that they doubted it before trying it, but are now converts. Some say hang the plants for a few days first, others just go for it from a wet trim...

All the same, I can't afford freeze drying by a long chalk, even if I wanted to! So drying fridge will probably be my next attempt at using tech to solve my conditions :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

That’s why I tagged in someone that I know owns and uses a freeze drier.

@PureSmkr have you ever tried freeze drying your weed for later consumption not processing?

I’m still trying to find somewhere to keep my MBM lol

I’ve got no space left for anymore equipment,

well I could maybe fit in a couple of fridges if I had a massive clear out/up :D 

It is about time to get rid of the root ball collection again.

Atb

7 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

That’s why I tagged in someone that I know owns and uses a freeze drier.

@PureSmkr have you ever tried freeze drying your weed for later consumption not processing?

I’m still trying to find somewhere to keep my MBM lol

I’ve got no space left for anymore equipment,

well I could maybe fit in a couple of fridges if I had a massive clear out/up :D 

It is about time to get rid of the root ball collection again.

Atb

They do say on the cannabis specific freeze driers, that a standard freeze drier will tend towards the crispy and less delicious flower.  I think it has something to do with the temperature range, timings and speed as ever...

Also, just to note, after hanging the trimmed buds for a few days at 50% RH then freeze drying in a cannabis freeze drier, no more curing is required.  They are saying it tastes and smells better than the conventionally dried versions and without the risk.

Edited by MidgeSmith

3 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

Also, just to note, after hanging the trimmed buds for a few days at 50% RH then freeze drying

So they're not actually dried in the freeze drier lol

Atb

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

So they're not actually dried in the freeze drier lol

Atb

Don't shoot the messenger!! :rofl:

Different people seem to do it different ways. I've never done it in a freeze drier, I am just interested because we were always told it needed a couple of weeks for the plant to break down internally and become lovely. I am curious as to whether that is actually a myth like flushing. Some on here have said before that if the drying takes place under perfect conditions then it can be done very much quicker than 2 weeks, but I have never managed those perfect conditions for sure - though the numbers suggested I'd done well, I hadn't particularly!

They are dried in the freeze drier, but he takes the edge off first from what I hear with a wet trim and 3 or 4 days hanging.  We generally aim for 14 days or more here. Though I usually fail for one reason or a very annoying other.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How many from this topic who’ve given it a try have been converted? Just curious as deffo going to give it a go and get ordering everything this coming month. 

Am I right in thinking as the cooler is sealed there is very little smell n temps controlled. So no need an extraction fan like a tent. Instead it’s the dehumidifier which is basically acting as the extraction fan and removing the moisture? You then just adjust the dehumidifier settings to come down slowly rather than setting it at 60% straight away. That’s pretty much it ain’t it?

While the wine cooler is kinda small, if it works I’ll add another. In the mean time though wouldn’t hurt to try improve my tent for drying. Summer can’t really do much about the temperature can we. Thing is having the bedroom window open to try help ease the temperature also lowers the humidity, probably quicker than I would like. Thinking to add a humidifier with a probe and try have it set so it’s not coming down to fast. Course won’t have it aiming at any hanging bud. In the cooler months basically gives the ability to have things spot on in the tent don’t it? Won’t have to worry about temperature and humidity can be kept where I want it.

Just now, stummer said:

That’s pretty much it ain’t it?

Pretty much. I definitely have a little bit of smell from mine, but it's pretty old. If you can keep it in the same room as your tent it'll be no worries.

• Like 1

I've ordered the bits to put mine together.  Not sure if I will need a small fan to push air around the fridge, I am hoping that the output from the dehumidifier will blow around a bit and help cause gentle circulation, but any recommendations will be gratefully received.

I just hope the bloody fridge arrives while the misses is out or it'll be bris time for me... :/