Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

6 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

What may be worth it? Sorry I'm blazed.

IIRC The makers of Grove bags said - I think it was in a video - that the best results from their bags were if they were kept - heat sealed - in the same conditions you'd store weed anyway, i.e. 18C-20C and ~ 58%-62%RH.

So if you are after that kind of perfect storage environment, it may still be worth the expense of the thermoelectric fridge with a dehumidifier in it.

8 minutes ago, Hazeytones said:

@MidgeSmithI'll maybe just stick with my jars until the price of scrap glass goes up and I'll have a fortune to spend on grove bags lol

You are not missing out, but they're not desperately expensive. The only advantage to me is that you can fit more in a smaller area.

• Like 1

I suppose storing flat packed bags over jars taking up loads of space is an advantage. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

that the best results from their bags were if they were kept - heat sealed - in the same conditions you'd store weed anyway, i.e. 18C-20C and ~ 58%-62%RH

lol so they work best when they don't have a job to do lol. I guess they're keeping the terps in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

lol so they work best when they don't have a job to do lol. I guess they're keeping the terps in. 

Sounds like me!

• Haha 1

I have just discovered these are also called meat drying/aging cabinets. Humidity/temp and circulation are apparently controllable. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ll take the time to go through the thread on the weekend. Was just thinking though, perhaps a good idea to pin a post. Perhaps a post laying out what needs to be purchased and a bit of a guide? Gonna give it a try as I’ve found myself looking at the Cannatrol again lol . Can’t justify that price for the little amount it’s able to hold. If it could take say half a box I’d probably give in tbh. Telling ya there’s probably a market for these wine coolers if someone could be bothered.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2024 at 23:26, stummer said:

Perhaps a post laying out what needs to be purchased and a bit of a guide

You mean like the first post in this thread? Literally tells you everything you need to know.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, MindSoup said:

You mean like the first post in this thread? Literally tells you everything you need to know.... 

I thought people had made changes and stuff such as with the dehumidifier. Maybe memory was just bit shit from when I last checked the thread. My bad lol 

27 minutes ago, stummer said:

I thought people had made changes and stuff such as with the dehumidifier. Maybe memory was just bit shit from when I last checked the thread. My bad lol 

To be fair, instructions as to how to hack the Dehumidifier are a little further in I believe.

• Like 1

That's all neither here nor there really, there's a million and one dehumidifiers that will do the job just fine. Many ways to string a cat and all that. I don't think I've used anything anyone else has to build mine, just what was most accessible/cheap :hippy:

• Like 1

Anyone know how a static cooler differs to a peltier cooler? I cant get a thermoelectric one delivered to me for less than about £500, but thats way outside my budget. I did find one at a catering supply company that will deliver, but when I emailed them and asked if it was compressor cooled or peltier cooled, they replied and said neither, it is static cooled. Cant get an answer off google either that I trust enough to put my harvest into.

Do you have a make and model number and we’ll se if we can work out what’s relevant?

Atb

🥶

• Thanks 1

First search result of Google. 

"Static cooling

Static cooling, also known as direct cooling, is the most basic cooling system and is often used in domestic refrigerators and freezers. To cool the unit down, evaporator coils are placed inside the back wall of the unit or in the shelves, depending on the design. When the evaporator draws heat, the air nearby the coils gets cold. As the name indicates, the air inside the cabinet is static (non-moving) – or almost so, as the cold air near the evaporator coils will slowly descend and the warmer air ascend. This can cause a temperature difference between the top shelves and the bottom shelves of the unit. The exception is freezers, where the evaporator coils are placed in the shelves, which means there is barely any temperature difference between top and bottom of the cabinet.

Static cooling is most often used in coolers and freezers for storage, where the door or lid is not frequently opened and closed. At TEFCOLD, we use static cooling in some of our horizontal chest coolers, horizontal chest freezers, and upright storage freezers."

Looks like it's just a basic/conventional compressor fridge. 

Get a peltier/thermoelectric one 2nd hand, mine was 30 quid. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Thanks 1