Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Just now, MindSoup said:

:wassnnme:

Ffs completely read that wrong this morning blame the wake n bake lol yea so basically I’ll be doing the same as yourself.

Dehumidifier and both inkbirds are arriving tomorrow so I’ll get it sorted then.

What hd and cd are you running on the inkbirds and do you run it with the compressor delay option? (not sure it’s needed as these aren’t compressor fridges) but that setting is to prevent switching on and off within a certain time frame. 

• 5 weeks later...

About to use mine for the first time, have a question regarding the inkbird humidity controller what dehumidification differential % is everything using?

Last time, I stepped the humidity set to 85% the first day, 80% two days later and 75% two days after that.  Subsequently I stepped down in 1% increments to 62%.  It meant the temperature in the fridge rose above 17C due to the amount of work the dehumidifier was having to do.

I think this next time, I will step it down from 85% by 1% per day until it reaches about 64% and then keep it there for a week or two before jarring and burping.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, highjokr said:

what dehumidification differential % is everything using?

I do 0.3% for no reason other than thinking the more precise the control the better, but I'm beginning to realise the relays in the ink bird don't really like it. In reality 1% would probably be fine, I don't know if they're even accurate beyond that point anyway, it's just a case of gradually bringing it down from whatever humidity it starts at to the humidity you desire it to be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I do 0.3% for no reason other than thinking the more precise the control the better, but I'm beginning to realise the relays in the ink bird don't really like it. In reality 1% would probably be fine, I don't know if they're even accurate beyond that point anyway, it's just a case of gradually bringing it down from whatever humidity it starts at to the humidity you desire it to be. 

I'm glad you are coherent!  I answered a completely different question lol.  I think you are right about wider margins though.  I have definitely found there is a sweetspot with my heating Inkbirds. It makes sense it would be the same for the cooling ones.

• Like 1

lol

Ah well at least you put the comment in the right thread :hippy:

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

lol

Ah well at least you put the comment in the right thread :hippy:

:rofl:

@MindSoup hi mate think me and your setups for this is similar I’ve noticed there’s more water coming from the drain hole below the small fan built into the fridge than from the dehumidifier, have you noticed any issues with this? Should I disconnect the fridges internal fan or has it been ok for you? I have the fridge hooked up to an inkbird so the fan built into the fridge is only running when the inkbird has kicked on. Cheers

Yeah sometimes my dehumidifier hardly kicks in at all because the fridge does enough on its own. I've never given it any thought TBH. Differing opinions on air movement as you may have seen reading through the thread, zero fucks to give on the subject myself.

Bit of a saying round my parts "she'llbealrightbuh" :hippy:

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah sometimes my dehumidifier hardly kicks in at all because the fridge does enough on its own. I've never given it any thought TBH. Differing opinions on air movement as you may have seen reading through the thread, zero fucks to give on the subject myself.

Bit of a saying round my parts "she'llbealrightbuh" :hippy:

Same with mine guess it helps with temp swings with it not being on as much plus a bit of airflow around the fridge think it’s a win win

Yeah mate, the less a relay is kicking off/on the better ime. 3 different brands of controller and all 3 have had issues with getting stuck on at some point. 

@MindSoup I don't suppose that  you (or anyone else if not) has added wet freshly harvested product into a curing fridge in progress with some dried weed in it? I know that brakes the wonderful sealed system concept.

Annoyingly my 4 plants are all at staggered levels of maturity this time, though their theoretical finishing times were all pretty similar.  I'm now trying to figure out if I should put two through in 2 weeks then do the next...  Only I wanted to try the 3 - 4 week cure this time :/

• 3 weeks later...

Query after irrelevant opening paragraph below:

Well, I went with the latter but will only allow it about 18 days or so on the journey down to jarring as I am still paranoid about moulding at the higher RHs.  It'll be great regardless.  The weed that is still finishing off is very disappointing in terms of smell and terpenes, so I have dropped the temperature in the tent right down to 17C/23C and turned up the UV in the hope that I can stress her into putting out more trichs and finishing harder, but I hold out little hope.  Anyway, nobody cares, so my question.

I've asked this before and it seems it is irrelevant / nobody cares, in fact I should probably make a new splinter thread asking about where I should stop the curing fridge to avoid over doing the dry and breaking the cure due to the difference in RH at 16C (fridge) and 20C (my room temperature):

Edited by MidgeSmith

• 3 weeks later...

This is my process after having my converted wine cooler for a few harvests now.

Step one: Wet trim all bud and put on shelves. 

Step two: Set the temp on the machine to 59 and the humidity on the INKBIRD to 75.

Step three: Everyday I lower the humidity by 2 percent and raise the temp 1 degree.

Step four: When the temp on the fridge is as high as it will go I continue to step down the humidity until it is at 60 percent and by then the temp is 66-68 degrees.

At this point you could add a sponge like the Cannatrol and leave the product in there indefinitely. All you need to do is keep the sponge moist and it would maintain that environment. Otherwise you can jar or bag the product at this point and should be the perfect humidity at room temp. Hope this helps anyone interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gonna have to go over this thread again next month. Just so can get everything I need to give it a try. Those that have tried it got things worked out for the best results? Really will be a test for how things go so come summer the weather ain’t so much an issue.

• Like 1