Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Only ever noticed a smell from mine if I let water collect in the rear drip tray, it builds up quickly the first week. 

Once emptied I've not noticed any smell. 

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Iirc BPBs fridges don't have any fans and they work just fine. 

Ah right, cheers.

Does yours have a fan?

Seems like the perfect solution to getting as near to perfect dry as possible. I am surprised more people aren’t doing it?

Don’t get me wrong outside of peak summer it’s a lot easier to get better results. Kinda just wanna hurry up and get a grow down now and see how it plays out. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

Does yours have a fan?

Yes

@stummer Yeah mate, total control of the whole process. I guess it's just quite expensive (if you buy everything new), also seems a lot of people aren't keen on drilling a hole in something they just payed a fair bit of money for. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Yes

@stummer Yeah mate, total control of the whole process. I guess it's just quite expensive (if you buy everything new), also seems a lot of people aren't keen on drilling a hole in something they just payed a fair bit of money for. 

Tbh I think it’s a small price to pay to be able to ensure a near perfect drying process. The ready made system that’s been mentioned on here is proper expensive. I’d even pay that just for the sake of having it all done n neat but not for that size as I’d need bigger. 

Ain’t even got started yet but I’ve had a dehumidifier before and know they give off a fair bit of heat. Know inside the cooler will be working to try prevent that. I mean last thing you wanna do is dry bud from heat. Just thought could it be possible to have the dehumidifier sat on the outside of the cooler. And something like a tube running off it into the cooler. Just to be able to aim where it’s sucking the moisture so it’s not directly pulling from the buds sat above it. Or even if inside the cooler but something to stop the air being sucked so direct. Dunno how good it works with the cooler trying to control the temp. Just remember small one I had did give off some heat. 

• Like 1

That's why you bring the humidity down a little bit at a time, my fridge is set to 14 and never gets past 15

Having it outside wouldn't make any difference because all the heat is sent out with the dry air. 

Like you say when you think of all the money spent on grow kit and leci a few hundred notes to have automated drying/curing isn't alot. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

@stummer and Mindsoup, I agree with you both, I have been trying my hardest to find a second hand wine fridge the right size (for me it doesnt have to be huge as my yield is typically around 10 Oz give or take a couple from 3 plants). I then tried to find a new one that was cheap and neither worked out. I am broke too.

Anyway I got paid and I figured that nothing is more disappointing than an inadequate quality of dry leading to a rubbish cure after spending loads on electricity, nutrients, soil and decent seeds. With that in mind I've basically laid out £300 to get a new version of each element I need.  I would have waited longer to try to get the bits - or at least the fridge -  second hand, but I wanted it all in time to put it all together and dry my current crop due in about 3 weeks.

I will try to make into a good version of what you guys have been discussing here.  It's a lot of cash to me, and ruining the guarantee straight away makes me cringe a bit, but if it means I will get a better result from my love, attention and despite my constant grow room cockups, it will be worth every penny.

So I have plumped for a new Klarstein Barolo 28 which is a couple of hundred quid, new, on the auction site - shipped from Germany (its a lot more expensive to get one of the same from the British store) with Inkbird humidity controller - I am using Paypal credit to stretch that over 4 months interest free, so while I just about have the cash now, it wont be a stress if I need cash elsewhere in the meantime.  I also got the closest seeming constant draining peltier dehumidifier I could find on the jungle store.

Sorry to keep asking @MindSoup but you've been very helpful in my time here... do you just have a 3 or 4 inch PC fan or something, fixed and facing along the wall inside the fridge so the air pushes around a bit?

• Like 1

After a second opinion here-I’ve been using a wine cooler with a mini dehumidifier for drying/curing for a year a so and it’s one of the best things I’ve done but I need another one as it’s not big enough,what I’m wondering is it necessary to have a dehumidifier with a drain to hose and go through the hassle of drilling a hole in the fridge(Was simple enough)or just empty the tank which I think would only be once or twice during the dry/cure.I’m also struggling to find a small drain to hose dehumidifier!

Edited by Jamoo

1 minute ago, Jamoo said:

After a second opinion here-I’ve been using a wine cooler with a mini dehumidifier for drying/curing for a year a so and it’s one of the best things I’ve done but I need another one as it’s not big enough,what I’m wondering is it necessary to have a dehumidifier with a drain to hose and go through the hassle of drilling a hole in the fridge(Was simple enough)or just empty the tank which I think would only be once or twice during the dry/cure.I’m also struggling to find a small drain to hose dehumidifier!

I opted for this one at £32 from Besos' site. I am just hoping the auto off when full is ONLY when full and that it comes back on when the humidity controller tells it to, without having to press the on button as well.

MYXE Electric Dehumidifier 1L Portable Small Dehumidifiers with LED Indicator.

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

Sorry to keep asking @MindSoup but you've been very helpful in my time here... do you just have a 3 or 4 inch PC fan or something, fixed and facing along the wall inside the fridge so the air pushes around a bit?

No, my fan is art of the fridge itself, it pushes air over the fins of the cooler. You don't need one, the dehumidifiers fan and the rising and falling of warmer/cooler air does enough as is. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

No, my fan is art of the fridge itself, it pushes air over the fins of the cooler. You don't need one, the dehumidifiers fan and the rising and falling of warmer/cooler air does enough as is. 

Ohhhhhhhhh!!! I do now see.

Cheers bud :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Mindsoup or anyone else who had made this move... My wine cooler arrived, damaged - I am pursuing them about it - I am expecting the dehumidifier in the next few days.

The problem now is that for some reason, I wasn't expecting a thermoelectric fridge to have refrigerant gases.  Are they just flowing around the cooling tubes at the back of the fridge or are they likely to be in the ceiling, walls and floor of the fridge too?

I am just a tad worried as I have to drill a hole through the fridge walls or floor to put the power cable for the dehumidifier, the probe for the humidity controller and the continuous drain through.

To the best of your knowledge, is there any possibility that the thermoelectric heat exchanger is solely at the upper back where the 'chiller plate' is labelled as being, or could I drill through the case and hit a pipe full of refrigerant gases?

Have you any advice, or do I have to somehow remove the case to workout where I can drill or not?

My fridge is one of the older style ones so it doesn't have anything like that, just a peltier and a wee fan.  I'd be very surprised if anything was running through the floor of it, but if your worried work from the inside out and just use your hand to work the drill bit/hole saw. It'll be a very thin later of plastic, followed by foam and then the outer metal casing (if it's even got a casing on the bottom) so you'll be able to feel if you hit anything you could damage. 

• Like 1

That sounds like good advice.  I've a feeling the gasses might only shift the heat from the Peltier hot plate to the cooling fins as I say, but I'd rather not find out that I am wrong, the hard way.

Cheers @MindSoup

• Like 1